Wilson fastpitch, or 1781

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
Looking around for new globe to break in this year, and use for next year.

I was going to get a custom 1781, but I do indeed have small hands, and have read they wear big. Whatevs, maybe I could tighten it up a bit.

But, I see Wilson has an entire fast pitch line.
The three I’m considering:
One is a 12.5 superskin T125 is the model.
Another is the superskin 12” H12
Or, the baseball custom 1781

I currently wear an EL3. Although it plays true or slightly bigger than a standard 11.75, I was wondering if the fastpitch models would play even bigger because it would have a softball pocket? Anybody have an experience with those?

NYC

Swag on 100.

I was going to get a custom 1781, but I do indeed have small hands, and have read they wear big. Whatevs, maybe I could tighten it up a bit.

I currently wear an EL3. Although it plays true or slightly bigger than a standard 11.75, I was wondering if the fastpitch models would play even bigger because it would have a softball pocket? Anybody have an experience with those?
get this before it sells out...
https://www.softballfans.com/rawlings-horween-limited-heart-of-the-hide-glove-12-5-pro5048-6ht.html
message Chad (milocoman) on here for possibly better pricing.

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
While I don't doubt your knowledge....I've never gamed a Rawlings, never even owned one, and am not a fan of that web. The combo of all of those means I'd be too dicey to just pull the trigger on it :/

Danchard

Don’t get a fastpitch specific a2000. The internals aren’t made of the same quality as baseball models. They get floppy fast and aren’t built to last. You’ll be disappointed.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
While I don't doubt your knowledge....I've never gamed a Rawlings, never even owned one, and am not a fan of that web. The combo of all of those means I'd be too dicey to just pull the trigger on it :/
So you want something other than the dual post H-web? The trouble with the retail 1781 is not only is the wrist opening larger (5 loop), the finger stalls are often looser too (so even if you mod it to be the original 4 loop, your fingers can still be swimming). You can try to hunt down a PI 1781 (but the price tag will be $300+ for new).

If you're fine with the H-web, you can check out the SP125 (12.5") or the TDFTHR (12.25"). The SP125 will have a more snug fit. You can also try the GG47 (12.25" Gio Gonzales model with mod-trap web) or the JL34 (12.5" Jon Lester 2-piece closed web). But I think the JL34 may have a large hand opening (I haven't handled one to confirm yet).

Otherwise, a Rawlings custom offers the size and web combo you are looking for (however, their only 12.25" I-web available for purchase is the NP7-2). The NP7 is closer to 12.5" than it is to its stamped 12.25". 207, NP7, 504, 3028, JD8 are all patterns to look into.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I recommend a custom 12” NP6 with either a I-web or an H-web, depending on which web you prefer. I ordered my NP6 with the narrow hand opening, I have medium sized hands and it fits great, very snug.

With most Rawlings being a 1/4” shorter than their listed / stamped size, the NP series must be Rawlings exception? My 12” NP6 measures just shy of 12.25” an absolutely swallows a softball. Definitely not your normal sized 12" ball glove.

As Bunt said, the 12.25” NP7 measures and plays right at 12.5” but the NP7 hand stall is considerably larger than the NP6 hand stall.

How do you like your glove to close? The NP gloves prefer to close more thumb to middle as opposed to the Pro200 family that prefer to be closed thumb to pinky.

****EDIT****
Another option is to try and track down a discontinued Easton Small Batch No. 26, I'm still a little ticked at myself for not picking one of these up! Several members here (Maverick & Hunt) say it's a very full size 12" glove and also has a very snug hand stall, and it's built like a tank!

Last edited:

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
It’s true, I don’t love the dual post H-web. I like the single post options, I web whatever they call it (depending on brand), kinda even growing on that modified trap like the Gio.

My lesbian toward the Wilson is I do indeed like the superskin. Maybe I’ll have to start looking at some of the Rawlings customs... I just can’t seem to find a Wilson that fits the entire bill that I want.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I close thumb to middle. I prefer the shallower pocket closure.

Well, your first sentence.......definitely a NP6. Now your second sentence, while I wouldn't say my NP6 is shallow by any means, Rawlings says it is? Wearing the glove with the traditional grip and closing it thumb to middle will naturally create a smaller pocket than wearing it TIP and closing it thumb to pinky.

Not trying to talk you out of the Superskin, but my custom NP6 is very light, especially compared to the Horween releases as of late! There's quite a few web options available for the NP6 on the builder, I like the H-web, the I-web, and the Modified Single Post the most.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, your first sentence.......definitely a NP6. Now your second sentence, while I wouldn't say my NP6 is shallow by any means, Rawlings says it is? Wearing the glove with the traditional grip and closing it thumb to middle will naturally create a smaller pocket than wearing it TIP and closing it thumb to pinky.

Not trying to talk you out of the Superskin, but my custom NP6 is very light, especially compared to the Horween releases as of late! There's quite a few web options available for the NP6 on the builder, I like the H-web, the I-web, and the Modified Single Post the most.
I suspect all he meant by "shallower pocket closure" is just that closing further away from the pinkie makes the amount of surface area closing around the ball smaller. I say that because the thumb-to-pinkie crowd cites the "larger pocket created" as the reason.

NP6 would be better (in closing) than a Pro200 or even the 1781 or SP125.

NYC

Swag on 100.
1. The 1781 won't feel secure on your small hand, it has a large hand opening and large finger stalls.
2. You can't beat the Horween leather on the 504.
3. ANNNASDAD said it's tighter than his KB17 which is already pretty tight on my L batting glove sized hand.
You can look at the SP125 as well if you're dead set on Wilson...
https://www.softballfans.com/wilson-a2000-sp125-sbf-exclusive-glove-12-5-wta20rs18125-rht.html
But guys here who actually play softball are going gaga over the new 504 so keep that in mind.
Good luck.

MaverickAH

I'm gonna offer you my opinions:
  • If you want a Wilson, get a Wilson! The hypocrisy on this board just kills me sometimes.
  • Bravo on not wanting an H-Web!
  • Not buying into a FP A2000 having lesser internals or getting floppy. It's an A2000. It's designed for the college/pro level player. The ones that I've personally examined were of the all black variety & were perfectly fine. it does sound like the hand stall would be better suited to you.
  • Not a big fan of superskin but that's a personal thing & not a knock on the material. If you're the typo that'll constantly fiddle with it, not a big fan of Velcro either.
  • Avoid white leather if possible.
  • If I were to make some model specific recommendations for you, I'd suggest a PF92 / JH32 / KP92. They seem to be more in the line of where you want to go if you're lookin for an infield glove for softball. An HG12 or GG47 wouldn't be bad either.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Skimmed some comments and only caught the part about liking a lengthy single post. The A2000 MC34 GOTM is going to be hard to find (and expensive). So here is an example of a custom pattern/web combo that can be built with Rawlings (there are 4 single post options for the NP7 and the I web is also available). Since Rawlings included the handstall lacing options, you can always choose narrow (and the NP7 handstall isn't quite as large as the retail 1781).

IMG_5729_zpsfrf1uskq.jpg

20180418_215644_zpswty0ta9n.jpg

20180418_215546_zpsn5hgnshv.jpg

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I forgot to mention the A2000 PF92 (KP92 made for small hands). I haven't handled one for sizing but it's stamped 12.5" (like the KP92) so I don't know if it feels larger than stamp (like the KP92 does). But there is a chance that the PF92 plays closer to the 12.5". I don't have an issue using the KP92 for IF (larger than what I prefer but I've done fine with it for IF).

Another option (if you only want to stick with Wilson) is order the SP125 or TDFTHR and do a web swap (any single post swap will require a web base like the G4/G5). Depending on the combo you choose, it can look really good or really poorly done (a risky venture but not impossible).

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
Skimmed some comments and only caught the part about liking a lengthy single post. The A2000 MC34 GOTM is going to be hard to find (and expensive). So here is an example of a custom pattern/web combo that can be built with Rawlings (there are 4 single post options for the NP7 and the I web is also available). Since Rawlings included the handstall lacing options, you can always choose narrow (and the NP7 handstall isn't quite as large as the retail 1781).

IMG_5729_zpsfrf1uskq.jpg

20180418_215644_zpswty0ta9n.jpg

20180418_215546_zpsn5hgnshv.jpg

I did like this. Unfortunately....I suck at the Rawlings custom glove builder... I had a hell of a time finding a pattern that allowed the option to add a single post, or I-web. How big is this one?
I know a lot of the people that I play with use the Liberty Advanced, and seem to love them. I'm not completely opposed to Rawlings, but I've never used one. So, navigating their site is like searching a dark room for your glasses.

SP125 is HWeb, yeah?
504 is HWeb yeah?

Do I seriously need to buy a 12.5 glove and have one of these lacing ninjas just put an EL3 web on it? Why do I see so many Liberty Advanced, but can't seem to build one that I want? I'll do more navigating on the custom rawlings site and see where I'm going wrong.

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
I found it.....I kept selecting softball pattern like a dumbass. Once I went baseball, it worked out better.

Does anybody have any experience with the 44pro gloves? They have a softball option. I haven't ever seen one in person.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
44 is okay (some local guys here have them and the gloves seemed alright). No idea how they hold up though. But if you go 44, wait for their sale code (they have them for major holidays).

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I did like this. Unfortunately....I suck at the Rawlings custom glove builder... I had a hell of a time finding a pattern that allowed the option to add a single post, or I-web. How big is this one?
I know a lot of the people that I play with use the Liberty Advanced, and seem to love them. I'm not completely opposed to Rawlings, but I've never used one. So, navigating their site is like searching a dark room for your glasses.

SP125 is HWeb, yeah?
504 is HWeb yeah?

Do I seriously need to buy a 12.5 glove and have one of these lacing ninjas just put an EL3 web on it? Why do I see so many Liberty Advanced, but can't seem to build one that I want? I'll do more navigating on the custom rawlings site and see where I'm going wrong.
This one is the NP7 (stamped 12.25" but plays 12.5"). And NP7 naturally wants to close thumb to middle.

SP125 is the dual post H-web and the horween 504 exclusive is also the H-web (but a 504 custom has other web options).

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
I scanned and didn't see anyone mention the glaring problem with Wilson's FP line: the wrist strap and hand opening. One of my son's friends bought a new FP12 with an H web (not I web) and wanted it broken in. The hand opening was so small my 9 yo couldn't even get his hand in it with the wrist strap at its loosest setting. Also, the wrist strap itself is so stiff and bulky that when it is closed, it almost completely prohibited the glove from closing due to the pressure on the ligaments in the wrist. With the wrist strap undone, the glove closed fine.
Just me personal observations. Find a glove with a traditional wrist closure no matter what you go with.

MaverickAH

The FP line is specifically made for girls. I don't think that I'd classify the wrist strap & hand opening as any type of problem at all.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I scanned and didn't see anyone mention the glaring problem with Wilson's FP line: the wrist strap and hand opening. One of my son's friends bought a new FP12 with an H web (not I web) and wanted it broken in. The hand opening was so small my 9 yo couldn't even get his hand in it with the wrist strap at its loosest setting. Also, the wrist strap itself is so stiff and bulky that when it is closed, it almost completely prohibited the glove from closing due to the pressure on the ligaments in the wrist. With the wrist strap undone, the glove closed fine.
Just me personal observations. Find a glove with a traditional wrist closure no matter what you go with.
This is a good take on the velcro wrist strap in general but the 2 FP gloves the OP listed and is interested in do not have the it (not all Wilson FP gloves have the velcro wrist strap).

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you need to buy an SP125 for the size and hand opening then send to a glove doc for a new web. I can make that happen if you truly are interested. We only have a handful of orange tan SP125's left so let me know I am pretty sure I could get you the glove and a single post added for basically retail price on the A2000 plus ship.

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like you need to buy an SP125 for the size and hand opening then send to a glove doc for a new web. I can make that happen if you truly are interested. We only have a handful of orange tan SP125's left so let me know I am pretty sure I could get you the glove and a single post added for basically retail price on the A2000 plus ship.

I'm going to do a little more research on the 44 line of gloves, and see if a custom might work out for me. But, if not, I think this looks like the way to go. I appreciate it.

I just don't feel like it would be hard for Wilson, Rawlings, whoever, to offer their glove models, with a different web option for $25 more. Seems kinda hard that there aren't more options out there for the fastpitch/slowpitch crews.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm going to do a little more research on the 44 line of gloves, and see if a custom might work out for me. But, if not, I think this looks like the way to go. I appreciate it.

I just don't feel like it would be hard for Wilson, Rawlings, whoever, to offer their glove models, with a different web option for $25 more. Seems kinda hard that there aren't more options out there for the fastpitch/slowpitch crews.

you gotta remember that not all webs are designed for all patterns. if they just offered to swap any web onto any pattern they could potentially open themselves up to a slew of problems. you could have blowouts/material failures, awkward closures, mismatched colorings (gloves and webs being cut separately after all), etc. i don't think they'd wanna open themselves up to all that

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I get that you don't like or want an H-web, to each his own. But since you do want a Wilson, I'd take Chad up on his offer, buy the SP125 and at least try it with the H-web first. You never know, you just may like it? But if not you can contact Rous or Dan here, order a new web of your choice from USAsportsdirect and have one of those fine men put it on for you, sell the original web and recoup your money for the aftermarket web.

It's a ball glove, don't give yourself a headache!

MaverickAH

Based on what the OP is looking for, my first recommendation above all others would be this:

Am%20El%201250AE1.gif

It's a Glovesmith American Elite 1250 AE1. It's 12.5", well-made & only $209.99. My only reservation might be hand stall size but I think that you might be okay. It's as good as any A2000/HOH & cheaper too!

If you want to stay with Wilson, then a "Pedroia Fit" glove would be perfect for you! You have 2 main options that'd be right up your alley:

PF92: The "PF" in the model # stands for "Pedroia Fit". What that means is smaller hand opening & hand stall. It designed to be a baseball outfield glove which means that it will translate to a great IF glove for softball. 12.25" & pretty much has everything you're looking for as long as you can deal with the color scheme. You can go the custom route if you can't.

If you want to stay at the same size that you're currently using, a DP15 just might suit you:

DP15: There are several variations out there but the "Dustin Pedroia Game Day Model" is what I'd suggest you look at. 11.75"

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/baseba...-dp15-gm-11-75-infield-glove-right-hand-throw

JackoDaddy5

Addicted to Softballfans
I have never seen that PF92 model before... I was looking at a custom 44 glove with the laced single post web. I like that model a lot...This is almost everything else that I want, with the SS, but 12.25 instead of 12.5, which I think I can live with since I usually use the 11.75. I'll look around to see if it plays a tad big, or small, that will probably be the difference maker. Thanks a ton.