Wilson Flat Finger binding

I will finally be ordering my first custom soon, and was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience with the flat finger binding option? I wear my glove straight, with index out, thanks.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
I will finally be ordering my first custom soon, and was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience with the flat finger binding option? I wear my glove straight, with index out, thanks.
I really like the flat finger binding. I wear traditional with finger out as well. Very comfortable, curious if it will last longer than regular bindings that usually wear thin after a season or two of heavy sweating on it.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
For comfort, the flat binding can't be beat.

Like @beeblebobble noted, though, durability comes to mind. Wilson will say that durability has been determined through product testing and player feedback, but YMMV.

I worry that the additional holes for the stitching will allow more sweat, moisture, and dirt to enter that area and degrade the already fragile binding leather quicker than the solid traditional rolled binding. The weakest link of any Wilson glove is their binding quality.

*disclaimer: my statements are based on relacing over 700 Wilson gloves over the past 7 years. Again, YMMV.

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
For comfort, the flat binding can't be beat.

Like @beeblebobble noted, though, durability comes to mind. Wilson will say that durability has been determined through product testing and player feedback, but YMMV.

I worry that the additional holes for the stitching will allow more sweat, moisture, and dirt to enter that area and degrade the already fragile binding leather quicker than the solid traditional rolled binding. The weakest link of any Wilson glove is their binding quality.

*disclaimer: my statements are based on relacing over 700 Wilson gloves over the past 7 years. Again, YMMV.
So if you order an OT or ST wilson glove and choose OT or ST binding, it's not the same leather as the shell and palm?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I believe it's the same leather but skived paper-thin. That would make it more susceptible to wear and degradation.

Reactions: NYC

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I know its more comfy, but jeez it looks terrible. Either way, keep plenty of beeswax on the leather there to keep sweat out, especially if you live where it is hot and humid.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe it's the same leather but skived paper-thin. That would make it more susceptible to wear and degradation.
I'd be surprised if it is thinner than the standard binding leather. They all take it down to about 1/32". Only Glovesmith seems to go thicker.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
So if you order an OT or ST wilson glove and choose OT or ST binding, it's not the same leather as the shell and palm?

I believe it's the same leather but skived paper-thin.

I'd be surprised if it is thinner than the standard binding leather.

I meant it's the same type of leather, just thinner than the body leather of the glove.

I know its more comfy, but jeez it looks terrible. Either way, keep plenty of beeswax on the leather there to keep sweat out, especially if you live where it is hot and humid.

It honestly looks like whoever stitched it forgot to flip it over and just screwed up.

Binding/lining is a good candidate for Obenauf's LP. Contains beeswax and really seems to cut back on degradation.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I meant it's the same type of leather, just thinner than the body leather of the glove.

Gotcha, agreed. I thought you might have meant thinner than the standard binding.

It honestly looks like whoever stitched it forgot to flip it over and just screwed up.

Binding/lining is a good candidate for Obenauf's LP. Contains beeswax and really seems to cut back on degradation.

Agreed.

Thank you guys! I just put the order for my first custom, super excited!

I'm down to playing once a week, so I'm cool with potentially sacrificing a bit of durability for comfortability, so I went ahead with the flat binding.