Wisconsin State Tournament

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on a few situations PWetzel!!! It's always nice to hear things straight from the source instead of a bunch of hearsay!!!

BTW-Who won the Oconto Falls tourney this year?

scoopmachine11

If u dont know,now u know
When you have a national tournament and 4 out of the 5 teams that are there are from one small town in Wisconsin, do you really go around telling people you are a "national champion"???? What a joke modified softball had become. My prediction is modified softball will be completely extinct in 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:

dpergand

Addicted to Softballfans
To PWetzel, It's great to hear that your team is sticking together and willing to play "A" and the good competition. You did bring up a lot of good points and I agree, constructive criticism is good and I don't blame you on any of those parts. I think we all can agree there are improvements or tweaks we can adjust to make the State tourney better and more attractive, but we also need teams willing to step up, travel, and want to play good competition even if that means they might have to take their lumps from time to time. But that should drive you to get better and play more tourney's and etc. It also hurts that not many areas in the state of Wisconsin actually play moderate pitch softball which also limits potential teams.

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
The issue is NO teams who finish top 2 in B want to move up! Sluggers choose not to move up and said we will take a year off to play B again. I say they should not be allowed to play state till they play A and see if they can compete. Now the huge issue is teams think A is open pitch(ie last year with the slinging) A B C are all supposed to be legal and the main difference is the higher the level of teams the better the hitters are and the defense behind your pitcher. BUT we are also lucky to have a pitcher like Art who can throw effective and keep a team in the game if the sticks are not there. We are excited for Pulaski as we heard THEE Box and Bulldogs are joining. We are at 16 teams and should make for some good games and hope we can make it far enough to face one of the box teams :)

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Is Little Creek a new team? Don't remember seeing that name at the Oconto Falls tournament in the past.

We were the bar(texas orange) last year in B and we added a couple guys and either way we had decided to play A with or without the guys we added. In prior years we were symbas navy........

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
The issue is NO teams who finish top 2 in B want to move up! Sluggers choose not to move up and said we will take a year off to play B again. I say they should not be allowed to play state till they play A and see if they can compete. Now the huge issue is teams think A is open pitch(ie last year with the slinging) A B C are all supposed to be legal and the main difference is the higher the level of teams the better the hitters are and the defense behind your pitcher. BUT we are also lucky to have a pitcher like Art who can throw effective and keep a team in the game if the sticks are not there. We are excited for Pulaski as we heard THEE Box and Bulldogs are joining. We are at 16 teams and should make for some good games and hope we can make it far enough to face one of the box teams :)
In all fairness to Sluggers, they were not even CLOSE to the same team in 2011 as they were in 2010. They only had 3-4 guys that played in 2010 on their team last which, which included an entire new outfield.

I honestly think Potters would be more competitive in A this year than Slugger's would have been last year...

just for clarification for Pulaski the Press Box Bulldogs and Press Box Rangers are coming from Fond du Lac, Thee Box (Press Box Blue Sox) is not coming up.

TheeBox

Star Player
We never got a invite.

wery7

Addicted to Softballfans
We never got a invite.

Fairly certain you dont need an invite to get into a tournament. If you guys want in I can get you the info on it. It's next weekend and should have some good teams....at 15 or 16 now.

Sleds#20

Addicted to Softballfans
Any legit sconnie pitchers available to ***** themselves out for wknd after the 4th and nationals?

wery7

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to open this can of worms again, but Scared of him for an open or legal tourney? Quite a few guys from green bay area would have loved to pitch state last year knowing what we know now about that tournament. A lot of quality slingers left behind such as a John goral, a mark Herr, a Bordellini, and a guy or two from the plover area. It's simply about equal opportunity. But if you open it up, beware of those guys and the kiwi's. They are still around and willing to throw for the teams up north if not on the illegal list when not playing fast pitch. Maybe thinking you were joking above. My apologies if so.

Last edited:
so if i had a pitcher, who pitched all but 4 innings of his teams' 4 nationals games last year would you consider him to be a legal pitcher at a tournament like say...Pulaski?

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
so if i had a pitcher, who pitched all but 4 innings of his teams' 4 nationals games last year would you consider him to be a legal pitcher at a tournament like say...Pulaski?

Pulaski is now down to a legal pitch tourny and they will be cracking on pitchers who are not following the rules. BUT again that rule can be taken in any way. WHICH is why this pitching thing is redic and needs to be addressed ASAP. Personally I rather get hits of Timmy, Herr, Arty, Wagz and the best pitchers around and rather go 4-4 with bombs on some cobber. But either we say for this tourny it is all open and anyone can toss or say these pitchers are not allowed due to the total level of comp. Just a thought but as far as ASA it changes by the ump from what state and NO constant rule. Feet crossing, showing the ball, throws to ahrd must be illegal. NOTHING is being done and it is killing the game so as a bunch of players/managers we need to have some things addressed.

Help me with any thoughts please :D

TheeBox

Star Player
You hit it on the head. Our team feels the same way. Myself as a open pitcher would either want to be able to or not able to pitch. It is frustrating going from game to game, tourney to tourney, being able to pitch for one ump and not the next. Even more frustrating is being called half way through a game. Our team enjoys open tournaments. Everything around Fondy is open and it makes the tournaments much more enjoyable when Wagz comes down and throws for teams around here. Like you pointed out, most ppl would get more gratification hitting Wagz them someone that isnt challenging. We look at Phlox as our biggest tourney cause it used to have some of the most challenging pitching around, and still does. Hopefully there are some GB teams heading there again this year. My vote is for opening it up but I dont ever see it happening. Either way we are willing to play either way.

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
You hit it on the head. Our team feels the same way. Myself as a open pitcher would either want to be able to or not able to pitch. It is frustrating going from game to game, tourney to tourney, being able to pitch for one ump and not the next. Even more frustrating is being called half way through a game. Our team enjoys open tournaments. Everything around Fondy is open and it makes the tournaments much more enjoyable when Wagz comes down and throws for teams around here. Like you pointed out, most ppl would get more gratification hitting Wagz them someone that isnt challenging. We look at Phlox as our biggest tourney cause it used to have some of the most challenging pitching around, and still does. Hopefully there are some GB teams heading there again this year. My vote is for opening it up but I dont ever see it happening. Either way we are willing to play either way.

Point THEE BOX lol

I agree and Little creek is coming out to Phlox and we have Wagz and some TPS guys joining us. The thing with open than we need to move it to 9man and then you have the whole fastpitch guys coming in and paying them to do so. So there could be rules set in about who is allowed to pitch 9man in WI. They have a banned pitcher list in ASA but that has not been updated in years and prolly not the best to go off of.

I say maybe at state or Phlox some of us chat about what we can do to make things better. I am pushing 40 and want to play and not have the game fade out while I can still play and or walk lol

But something needs to be done and maybe as a state we get a WI modified system going and we can dictate tournys and the pitcher list. That way we know what is acceptable and what is not. Then no one can complain and each manager will have a pitcher list of non approved pitchers. Hate to say it but it is almost like the bat list lol

Just a thought but there is a lot of teams not playing tournys and think they would if they new first hand what they can expect.....

wery7

Addicted to Softballfans
It comes down to having open pitching with 4-8 teams show up for tournaments, or have "legal" pitching for tournaments and having 12-20 teams show up. Take a look at ll the tournments we have. Most of us enjoy an open tourney but they don't draw teams. Phlox. That used to be one of the biggest and best tourneys in the state, now who shows up? The Duck in GB used to be great too. Now they divide teams up into separate divisions based on pitching and your overall team. We need to figure this out soon or modified in WI will die. Nothing against anyone, but decisions need to be made for the overall good. Whether that means an updated pitching list of guys in WI that can't throw state tourneys (take your chances at nationals) or open it up. The bottom line is, teams don't play A because of the perception that "anything goes" when it comes to pitching. 20+ teams for B and 4 for A doesn't work. My guess is plan on 4 again this year for A.

TheeBox

Star Player
Only 4?

Thee Box
Press Box Bulldogs
Rausch Insurance
TPS
Little Creek
Jim Beam

I thought there was talk about TTI playing A as well?

There was talk about TTI, I havent heard anything about it for a while now, I will see them Wednesday night and see if they are still thinking about it.

wery7

Addicted to Softballfans
I've heard TTI is not likely to play due to not having a pitcher, and TPS is out due to player schedule conflicts.

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone play at Phlox this weekend? How many teams were there? I can remember past years of anywhere from 16-24 teams, but I know they have been struggling to draw as of late.

Any of the Class A teams play?

Phlox was awesome, this was my first Phlox experience and it was as awesome as everybody has said. There were only 10 teams, but the talent was great top to bottom.
WDS "We Don't Suck"(A compilation of TPS/Little Creek Lodge/Moxie/Gilligan's) and Press Box Blue Sox were the only 2 Class A teams there. However Melody Mill could do A because Mike CAN pitch legal, he does at Pulaski.
Places were:
1)Press Box Blue Sox
2)WDS
3)Melody Mill
4)Chet & Emil's
t5)Mink Pen
t5)Fat Boys
t7)Nick's Tap
t7)?
t9)Hilger's
t9)?

Class A teams I'm aware of are :
Press Box Blue Sox
Press Box Bulldogs
Rausch Insurance/QCI
Little Creek Lodge
Jim Beam
Moxies

And like I said Freddy's/Melody Mill should do class A they've done very well at both Phlox and Pulaski

Any idea on who's playing B or C?