Won't go winless (ASA League)!

gotigersgo

Addicted to Softballfans
I posted earlier on how the last time I managed a team, we went winless. Well, we won our first game last night!

Our first game of the season, we lost 22-0 in 5 innings. Most of the guys on my team have never played softball before. I've played for about 8 years, and I wanted to play in a league closer to home and with friends, so I started this team just to see what happened. Last night was a double header, and we were close with a team until the 5th when we kept committing errors and got run ruled. I was happy that we at least scored 11 runs. The team we played our second game was far worse than us, and we ended up run ruling them in 5 innings. I felt bad because we kept taking walks, but their pitcher was pitching balls that landed 2 foot in front of the plate or a foot over our heads.

It's a new league and I had to educate the umpire on some rules in between games because he had screwed them up during our first game. I didn't make a big deal, just showed him the literature that the league director had sent out, and he thanked me for not trying to show him up. He upset me in the 2nd game when we hit a foul ball, threw a ball in, then he threw the other team's Gold Dot in to pitch to us instead of our X-Rock. I didn't find out until after our batter hit the ball and got out. I told him I spent 6 dollars a ball so we didn't have to hit Gold Dots.

The crazy thing is that I'm the one with the most experience and a pretty good player, but I went hitless on the night with some ROE, and this one guy who is the most unathletic was like 4-6. I'm glad that we have fun and nobody puts anybody else down for screwing up. That's the way softball should be played.

Anyway, I'm happy we won at least one.

phillywonka

Part Time Player
Good for you for not going winless... The team I play on monday night is on track to go winless... Got beat by the slaughter rule every game but one. 0-8 gotta love it.

RiverRat77

Addicted to Softballfans
Eh... christ. My Tuesday team has gotten to this point too. Chances are we'll go winless unless we pull one out next week. We've been reduced to showing up and just drinking beer between innings to cope. :eek: I don't know that I've ever coached a winless team but I guess it teaches a bit of humility if nothing else. Thankfully we've lost some players and picked up better talent for fall ball so we should do quite a bit better. If not, then I really may develop a drinking problem. :D