wood bat - softball ball ?

buddadawg

Addicted to Softballfans
what is the best compression to use with a wood bat?
Distance is the key but just overall performance is what I am looking for.
Low or high compression softball ??
thanx

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
We tested the Evil Bamboom wood bats against the Evil ball in 52s and 44s. 52 was clearly a better match. The reason stadium balls seem to do well is because most of them have a higher c0r which is good. The bad is they also run higher compression which will blow up a wood bat quicker without gaining that much if any additional distance so its not worth using stadium balls.

Last edited:

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Definitely 52's. Night and day difference between a 44 and a 52. Your hands will thank you for choosing the 52 as well.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ Absolutely true.

The local 35+ wood bat league uses .40/400 Gray Dots. Pretty much the worst combination possible. The low COR gives awful performance and the higher compression breaks a lot of bats on mis-hits.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Local league here has 250' fences and I would love to hit wood but they also use 40/375 balls. It actually hurts to hit the ball with a wood bat, I won't even do it, not fun, just use a cheap composite and hope you keep it in. Other localish league has 300' fences and 52/300 balls, fun to use wood but takes away when there's so much glass out there.

Ballisttic

Star Player
what is the best compression to use with a wood bat?
Distance is the key but just overall performance is what I am looking for.
Low or high compression softball ??
thanx

53/600 ultimate evils hit well if you want a better flying ball than 52/300s

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The local 35+ wood bat league uses .40/400 Gray Dots. Pretty much the worst combination possible. The low COR gives awful performance and the higher compression breaks a lot of bats on mis-hits.

I bet that league is super boring and the OFs play really shallow. You aren't going to burn anyone with Gray Dots and wood bats. Doesn't even sound fun.

Can't speak from personal experience; I'm a couple years too young to play in said league. But I've watched a few games. It's not too bad actually, but only because the local fields are small (240'-270'). The only guys putting them out regularly are the guys that should be. Big, strong boys with good swings. A lot of the dudes that hit 3 or 4 homeruns per game with composites are hitting 3 or 4 per season in the wood league. ;)

My biggest issue is the number of broken bats. Cool spring/fall games and a miss towards the end of the bat equals a splinter shower with those balls.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
what do most prefer for wood bat - ash, maple, maple/bamboo combo?

I prefer the maple/bamboo combo. The Toxic is the most popular bar in my league. My favorite is the VBB by Viper Bats. It just fits my swing better than the Toxic. I think it has a Bigger sweet spot as well

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Is there really a difference in wood bats? I'm a fan of the cheapest in the shape I like but I've never tried a pricey wood bat.

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
I still have the Toxic I bought from you several years ago. Best wood bat I've swung for softballs. I've hit everything with it. It outhits the Corndog easily.

Sounds like I need to check out a Toxic. I love my corndog so hearing the Toxic out performs it really makes me want to own one..

NorCal5150

Rep for GS Sports
Night and day. My Corndog is really heavy and super endloaded. The Toxic is a little lighter and has a noticeably more flexible handle. The Corndog is ridiculously stiff.

All my buddies that have corn dogs are straight logs. Most of them are 30-31oz's. I lucked out somehow and got one that is 28oz on the nose. I agree that they are all very stiff though. I for sure need to get my hands on a Toxic though. They sound like fun.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I still have the Toxic I bought from you several years ago. Best wood bat I've swung for softballs. I've hit everything with it. It outhits the Corndog easily.[/QUOTE

Glad to hear that. We went back to wood bats last year so I bought another Toxic and Evil Bamboo. I like the original Evil better as it was 29 oZ and the new on is 28 oz. I need that extra weight to slow my swing down.