Work the Count or Swing For a Hit?

Knollie

I'm always looking to hit, however I'll take the walk if I don't get a pitch I can drive. My thoughts are that since I'm still relatively fast I have a decent shot at a double where I can probably score on a single and take away the DP opportunity.

jhitman

I think if you are a good hitter you swing at the first good pitch to your liking. I tend to swing at the first pitch a lot as the pitcher usually is trying to get ahead in the count. Also, over the years, I learned if you let the 1st pitch go for a strike, the pitcher will fish around and you are at his mercy as you don't want to take a called 3rd strike.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't really ever look to "work the count for a walk". In some situations, like what was described by the OP, I'll go out to the plate and tell myself, "I am not swinging at the first pitch, unless it is exactly what I want.", or "I'm not swinging until I get a called strike...." I also do this if the guy in front of me walks on 3 straight pitches. Last fall in Vegas the guy in front of me walked on three straight pitches to put 2 guys on. Walking out to the plate, I told myself exactly that....... Then saw the pitch I wanted and hit it up in the net. I came back and the guy that runs our teams said, "If you're going to do that, you better hit it out of the park......." I don't ever try to "work the count" because if there's a dinger left I can tie the game. If there isn't there's also a great chance I hit a double and get myself in scoring position with one swing. Even though a walk avoids an out, it's still just one base. Normally it will take two more clean base hits to get you home.

Last edited:

DirtBag215

I don't really ever look to "work the count for a walk". In some situations, like what was described by the OP, I'll go out to the plate and tell myself, "I am not swinging at the first pitch, unless it is exactly what I want.", or "I'm not swinging until I get a called strike...." I also do this if they guy in front of me walks on 3 straight pitches. Last fall in Vegas the guy in front of me walked on three straight pitches to put 2 guys one. Walking out to the plate, I told myself exactly that....... Then saw the pitch I wanted and hit up in the net. I came back and the guy that runs our teams said, "If you're going to do that, you better hit out of the park......." I don't ever try to "work the count" because if there's a dinger left I can tie the game. If there isn't there's also a great chance I hit a double and get myself in scoring position with one swing. Even though a walk avoids an out, it's still just one base. Normally it will take two more clean base hits to get you home.
Ding ding ding!!

Capt'n Crunch

I always take what the pitcher gives me, inside pull, outside push, dead center take it 450 but if they are bad balls ill take a 3 pitch walk without hesitation.