Other World Police and Fire Games

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Have any of you umpired at the World Police and Fire games?
If so what was the standard of play like?
What was the on-field discipline of the players like?
What was the standard of umpiring like?

I will be the UIC for the 2013 games in Belfast and I want to get an idea of what to expect. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
This is just my opinion... but as the UIC the level of umpiring will be as high as you require it be. You're in charge and you should lay out in your pre-tournament meeting exactly what is expected of your umpires for this tournament. If they don't like it they don't have to work the tournament.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
This is just my opinion... but as the UIC the level of umpiring will be as high as you require it be. You're in charge and you should lay out in your pre-tournament meeting exactly what is expected of your umpires for this tournament. If they don't like it they don't have to work the tournament.

Only if it were that easy.

The UIC takes what s/he is given to work with for the tournament. There will be good, bad and ugly. It will also depend upon from where the umpire comes and what is or is not tolerated there.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
well, im sure all the po lice will behave, but u never know about those firemen. LOL

Actually, police and fire fighters can be problematic. Not all, and again, depends on how things are handled locally, but some have a serious god complex. Some have a problem with being told what they can or cannot do and can get quite arrogant and don't understand when they get dumped by someone who just isn't going to deal with their bull. In my 20+ years of ASA ball, 3 of the 4 suspensions that occurred included police officers including a Lt. Col of the state police force.

Some people forget when you are on the ball field, they are just players. If you want special treatment, you shouldn't be on the field.

modfirst

Addicted to Softballfans
everybody had fun and there were some good games. the rules are there for to keep the problem players from returning to action. overall a great expierence.

mstg25

**OG Horsemen**
having played in the last games in NYC in 2011, the games seemed no different than any league game I've played in in 3 states. They make it easy by suppling the bats for the tourney, so there will be no issues on that end. And the competitors are respectful...did not see any altractions at the last games.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Actually, police and fire fighters can be problematic. Not all, and again, depends on how things are handled locally, but some have a serious god complex. Some have a problem with being told what they can or cannot do and can get quite arrogant and don't understand when they get dumped by someone who just isn't going to deal with their bull. In my 20+ years of ASA ball, 3 of the 4 suspensions that occurred included police officers including a Lt. Col of the state police force.

Some people forget when you are on the ball field, they are just players. If you want special treatment, you shouldn't be on the field.

Tell me about it. I've mentioned this before, but my father was a policeman. While playing in a "friendly game" at the policeman/fireman picnic, some dip**** fireman decided to bowl over my dad at the plate.

He ended up blowing out his knee (MCL, if I remember right), and this was back in the dark ages of knee surgery. Was in a full leg cast for weeks, and out of work for months.