WS break in

bonzer187

See Ya Ball
Oiled up my new nokona WS1300....thing is still really stiff....any tips for breaking in?....I've also played catch with it

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Play more catch.

It is oil-tanned leather, so you don't need to condition it at all. What did you use?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
No worries. That is Vaseline. It is more a wax than an oil. It won't do much to soften the glove, but it will keep it from drying out.

Just play catch and it will break in nicely.

How about the sandstone bloodline. Super stiff glove. Just been playin couch catch and warm up toss with it a few times? Oil, NLT or anything?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing. While it is pretty stiff out of the box, the sandstone softens up perfectly. Any oil will overdo it.

If it gets dry (may take a year), Lexol brown conditioner.

JobSite Leather Waterproofer is my favorite choice for sealing moisture in (works like Vaseline, but not as heavy).

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
At what point should you put the JobSite on it? I was just about to break in a WS1400, so might only see a game or two this year. After it's broken in?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Beeswax won't really soak in, it will just sit on top of the leather and keep the leather from drying out. I put it on at the end of each season, but I also put a layer on the lining at the beginning of the season to try to keep sweat out.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Finally started breaking my WS1400 in. I was playing catch with my kid and my wife swapped in for me. She said it was too stiff.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
THen you haven't played enough catch with your kid! Who knew that stiff leather was way to help families bond!!!

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
He's breaking in a Nike. I just thought it was funny she said too stiff. Ba dum dum. It's late.

djh88stang

The Veteran
Just picked up a WS1300 and wow its stiff i cant even close it right now...played catch some and i had to catch it in the palm to keep it in the glove! Hopefully i can get it broke in before next season heard nothing but good about Nokona glove just never pulled the trigger on one

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The walnut is oil tanned, so while stiff now, it will soften up by spring, but it may take a fair amount of work to get it there. Just play catch or get a mallet.

grubd

Banned User
Rous is right, mallets are a really easy way to bang on the glove all winter while you are sitting in your lazy boy watching television.

embesh

Addicted to Softballfans
I gota say. When these gloves break in. Man they are nasty!! Outfield wise at least. I have absolutely swallowed everything I have reached so far with a amg650.. ws1300. Great glove.