You're the manager what do you do in my situation?

Dirty.D

Star Player
I manage a team that is in a lower league that is in our 3rd season together. We have a fun group of guys but like most teams we have one negative nancy on the team. Hot Shot thinks he still is in his high school glory days and is the best player on a team. The issue with him is that he brings major negativity on the team and a few guys believe he's making everyone uptight.

Fast forward to our 4th game of the season...

After bottom of the first and only giving up 2 runs our team jogs off the field getting ready to hit. I take 1st base coach. Hot Shot looks over at the hitting order and comes out of the dugout raising his voice in anger of where he is hitting. I moved him from 5th in the order to 6th. I put our 2nd fastest guy in front of him hoping Hot Shot would get some good RBI's. I meant nothing by it other than that.

Hot Shot starts to mouth off about how he's a power hitter and power hitters hit in the 3rd or 4th spot and yata-yata-yata. He's becoming very angry even though I'm trying to keep my cool. After trying to get him to listen and realize there is nothing i can do now I tell him, "good bye Hot shot. Go home, we don't need you tonight."

Hot Shot storms off cussing up a storm. He sees the team that's playing after us and he asks to join their team. He knows a few of the guys and our team isn't annoyed he's gone. We win our game 20-13. The team behind us with the new hot shot lose 20-4. I text him the next day to apologize but to ask that if he has issues with me to pull me to the side and not yell out and scream. He informs me that he's joined the other team and that he was disrespected by moving down 1 spot.

I email the commish of our league and ask him if a player came move teams mid season. He states no and that to inform him of the team and he will call them and let them know. And that if the team plays with him it will be forced to forfeit.

Do I reply with the info or hell it's just softball? I want you to tell me what you do.

Oh and our team plays Hot Shot's new team next week.

In short:
Player gets pissy and is very loudly angry in a game with the manager. Is asked to go home.. He leaves but joins another team. It's against the rules. Do I be the bigger person and ignore it or do I get him basically booted for the season?

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
I wouldn't do anything about it. Let him spread his b.s. attitude to the other team if they want to take him in

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I would just let him play with the other team.

do you really want to tell him he HAS to come back or quit? cause he might come back

Dirty.D

Star Player
I would just let him play with the other team.

do you really want to tell him he HAS to come back or quit? cause he might come back

We don't want him back. If called out he has to sit the season I guess.

To add to the fun, two of his brothers are still on our team. They are great guys though.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
I wouldn't tell him anything. But, I would go ahead and let the LD tell the other team just in case someone happens to check rosters/lineups and they have to forfeit. They should think about checking it out on their own, but it may save a lot of headaches to let the LD contact them.

Or you could be really douchey and see what the score is in the sixth this coming week, then be open to the possibility of calling for a roster check.

azsoftball

Whatever
I would let him go, if his attitude continue the same for his new team, his coach may let him go just like you did. And, if more people learn about his attitude, more likely he will have hard time finding teams to play with. Let him learn his lesson.

Last edited:

WarHorse

Star Player
1: I find it hard to believe one person is solely responsible for a team's dramatic failure like that.

B: Nobody says you gotta play with the guy.

Squirrel:With power, he's probably better batting as close to 8 as he can get. I can understand being pissed off if he's batting well and you move him to the 11th spot behind some old slow dudes, but if he's a slugger, 6-7-8 are good places to put him.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't tell him anything. But, I would go ahead and let the LD tell the other team just in case someone happens to check rosters/lineups and they have to forfeit. They should think about checking it out on their own, but it may save a lot of headaches to let the LD contact them.

Or you could be really douchey and see what the score is in the sixth this coming week, then be open to the possibility of calling for a roster check.

This. I wasn't sure if you should tell the LD, but that'd be the cleanest way to give the other team a head's up. If this guy is a hothead all the other teams will recognize him on a new team and could call him out at any point.

No way would I let him back on my team. I don't want anyone on my team that's so dumb as to say they're "disrespected" by being moved down a spot in the lineup. I bat myself last though, so I rarely hear anything about the order.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
Let him play against you next week and if you really want to get his his head just walk him every at bat. This will most likely really piss him off and then call the LD the following week and get him off the team.

Dirty.D

Star Player
1: I find it hard to believe one person is solely responsible for a team's dramatic failure like that.

B: Nobody says you gotta play with the guy.

Squirrel:With power, he's probably better batting as close to 8 as he can get. I can understand being pissed off if he's batting well and you move him to the 11th spot behind some old slow dudes, but if he's a slugger, 6-7-8 are good places to put him.

WarHorse,

His team didn't lose because of him. It was just a good laughing moment to see that he didn't add much to his other team.

I put speed in front of him. What was ironic was that inning in his spot we had the bases loaded. He could have shown his power.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Way to pour gasoline in the fire by telling him to go home.
Sounds like you got what you wanted all along.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Let him play against you next week and if you really want to get his his head just walk him every at bat. This will most likely really piss him off and then call the LD the following week and get him off the team.

This is what I would do, lol. Let him play for the other team and intentionally walk him every at-bat. Never give him a chance to even swing. That would have to piss him off beyond belief or inflate his ego. Either way it'd be funny.

spos21ram

The Legend
I also find it hard to believe the teams in the league don't know the rule that once you play for a team, you cannot change teams. That's a very big important rule. We have that rule here and that's one of the rules everyone knows.

Dirty.D

Star Player
I also find it hard to believe the teams in the league don't know the rule that once you play for a team, you cannot change teams. That's a very big important rule. We have that rule here and that's one of the rules everyone knows.

The next day I traded texts with him. I apologized to him if he felt i disrespected him by moving him down one. I asked that he pull me to the side and not scream at me on the field.

He didn't apologize for his actions but did say he was joining the other team. I even replied with something to the extent good luck, but i don't think you legally can join another team. He then obviously lied and said the league approved it.

spos21ram

The Legend
I wouldn't go out of my way anymore if I were you. That's a rule the LD and official scorer's (if u have one) job.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
wait until he comes up to bat and call for a roster check

This right here ^^^ YES!!! You don't need the guy since you won without him. So just to get back at him for blowing up and what not, I would go this route.

AshAid28

Coach
Sounds like this guys ego is huge. Wow you moved him 1 spot down and he freaks out like that.... I wouldn't do anything. Actually his emotions are going to be so off the chain when you guys play that he may be so juiced up he'll strike out. Or walk him everytime lol. And when he says something about it just respond your a power hitter and too good... Feed that ego!!!! Dude sounds like Jim Romes version of "Softball Guy"

Mongo23

Manager
Guy sounds like a tool. Don't even give him the satisfaction, everytime he comes up just point to first or roll the ball in to piss him off.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
wait until he comes up to bat and call for a roster check

Definitely this for sure. It doesn't rat him out to the LD, but it forces the Ump and keep to do a ID check. Clearly he's not on that list, so he's gonna get removed from gameplay.

Then the league can determine what's best.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I would................let it go.

You are already knee deep in SPSB drama.

Move on and enjoy the game.