Youth Gloves?

JimmyzArmSleeve

#RockstarOG
Anybody know what youth gloves are the best out there? Talking kid pitch travel ball. I've seen some use the Nokona and I remember seeing a few Wilson's as well but don't know what models. Also see that Marucci has a series of youth gloves....

Thoughts?

bmeyer

Part Time Player
My son has a Wilson A500 gamesoft 11.5. Great glove it really broke in nice and easy and helped him to learn how to catch. I bought him a NWT Wilson A2000 11.5 Showcase Series, which will be his christmas present.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Wilson's 6-4-3 line seems pretty good

Rawlings Gold Glove Gamer ProTaper offers some good patterns

Mizuno MVP

Couldn't go wrong with a HoH or A2000 either

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I think the Wilson A1Ks are nice, so are Nokona youth. Vincu has a real nice advanced youth line callled Fortus. If you wanna see some contact Trung in the Vinci section, he can find a local rep that has some in stock to check out;

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like your son is 9-10 years old? So you certainly don't want "youth glove" quality, just a smaller hand stall. The A1K or Rawlings Pro Tapers are both good. My son used a 11.5" Kelley Athletic Century glove and loved it (not a youth glove), but the Vinyl binding started to crack after just a couple of years -- I hate Vinyl on gloves.

The HOH dual core gloves are made out of a softer black leather that actually might work for a kid that age... as it might not last more than 3 years, at which point he will be moving to a larger glove anyway.

n8ers

Word
A lot of good info and especially that with your son being 9-10 you don't want to go with a "youth" glove. My son is 9 and last year he used a HOH PRO1175-6TI which was great but it got too deep for him. This year he is using a Wilson A1K DP15 (EXCELLENT GLOVE) Even though it is technically a down grade from the HOH, I feel that it is better suited for him. Very well made, lightweight, great pattern and lastly as stated above they have been on and off clearance at a few different places and can be found for as low as $66 shipped. Though I am a big Rawlings fan, I personally feel that though the Gold Glove Gamer series is good for youngsters, it is pretty far behind the Wilson A1K series. Good luck in your search!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
n8ers, I am just guessing the son's age. Looking for a youth sized glove, so I am guessing younger than 11, but kid pitch and travel means he probably isn't 7 or 8. But I may be guessing wrong.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Being "kid pitch", I'd be guessing in the 6-7 age range (because I do believe Pony Pinto starts at 8) but even then I'd recommend those Wilson A1Ks for smaller hands. I also recently saw a couple of boys with the Nokonas which were nice leather. Rawlings have always had the deeper pocket which I figure with time and experience. Good luck.

JimmyzArmSleeve

#RockstarOG
Thanks guys. Alot of good information it seems here. I will look into these and see which glove and hand stalls fit my son the best. Thanks again!

MaverickAH

If you are talking about a glove for a 9-10 year old, I feel that the absolutely best deal that can be found right now are the Louisville Slugger Icon gloves that can be found on EBay.

They're well made with good quality leather inside & out. They will be able to be broken in by your child & will form to their hand. Best of all is that they will last a good long time. Might just get them through HS is properly maintained. The only possible negative is that they might be a little on the heavy side because they're so well made but if you're also looking at HOH's, it shouldn't be an issue.

They're made to retail for $200 but often go for <$70 including shipping.

Let me add this:

Made in the U.S.A. (by Insignia). They are like buying a $300 Nokona Alpha Select. These gloves tend to run a little smaller than spec. Maybe about 1/4" or so. Because of this, I feel that they make for excellent baseball gloves. Not so much for softball........

If I had a kid from 9 to 12 years old, he'd definitely have one of these (or a LS Evolution) in their bag. I can't give a higher recommendation than that!

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Being "kid pitch", I'd be guessing in the 6-7 age range (because I do believe Pony Pinto starts at 8) but even then I'd recommend those Wilson A1Ks for smaller hands. I also recently saw a couple of boys with the Nokonas which were nice leather. Rawlings have always had the deeper pocket which I figure with time and experience. Good luck.

My son played Pony league and it was coach pitch through 7-8. Kid pitch started 9-10 (man was that ever painful). But this might have been local league rules.

I agree with the LS Icon or Evolution suggestion. Good value at $180-$200, GREAT value at any price below that. These are well made gloves.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
My son played Pony league and it was coach pitch through 7-8. Kid pitch started 9-10 (man was that ever painful). But this might have been local league rules.

It may have been local rules because my boy was pitching at 7 years old (thank goodness for "timed" and "a run limits" for innings. Also recently went to see my boys former JV coach son play 6U travel ball and it was player pitched.

I agree with the LS Icon or Evolution suggestion. Good value at $180-$200, GREAT value at any price below that. These are well made gloves.

Concur with these thoughts, very happy with the quality of the gloves just would be concerned about the hand stall for a smaller hand.