Am I left handed? or are YOU??

theBOMBsquad

Addicted to Softballfans
This has always puzzled me...Im a left handed batter from the pitchers POV but i stand in the box on the right side when i approach it. I throw right handed but bat left..my right hand is on bottom which makes it my dominate hand the "powerhouse". Why are there so little amount of left handed batters? Shouldn't everyone who's is right hand dominate bat left handed?

wcoastsoftball

I could freak you out then. I write left, throw right-bat left, shoot basketball left-but layups right handed. I use a right handed hockey stick.

theBOMBsquad

Addicted to Softballfans
I could freak you out then. I write left, throw right-bat left, shoot basketball left-but layups right handed. I use a right handed hockey stick.

I write left ,bat left ,throw right golf right( was a poor kid and we only had right handed) shoot pool left and I wipe my ass w my left.

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw and bat right handed. Shoot pool and basketball left handed. Left hand when jerkin ma gurkin.

jaj23

Eye Baller
I write with my right hand, kick with my left foot, shoot pool left handed, throw right handed, bat left or right handed. BTW the hand that supplies the power in hitting is the top hand.

theBOMBsquad

Addicted to Softballfans
I write with my right hand, kick with my left foot, shoot pool left handed, throw right handed, bat left or right handed. BTW the hand that supplies the power in hitting is the top hand.

Playing devils advocate but why is the overlap grip preferred by alot of ppl. Even if it's just a finger or two

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
This has always puzzled me...Im a left handed batter from the pitchers POV but i stand in the box on the right side when i approach it. I throw right handed but bat left..my right hand is on bottom which makes it my dominate hand the "powerhouse". Why are there so little amount of left handed batters? Shouldn't everyone who's is right hand dominate bat left handed?

Im the same...look at alot of your canadian born MLB players like Joey Votto who grew up playing hockey (as did I) and they swing the same...they say you generate your power with your top hand which i dont disagree with, but i guess ive just got plenty of strength in that hand and leave the rest to my dominant hand, i seem to have plenty of power at the plate

jadavis17

Coach

Yea its funny how from the hitter's POV your on the right side and even when you pull the ball you hit it to right field, but like someone said earlier, your power/dominant hand is the top hand not the bottom. So in order to best use your dominant hand, you have to stand on the right side of the plate because your backside is where the power comes from. No different than throwing a ball. You point your glove shoulder where your throwing and throw with the arm that is behind you. If you throw one way and bat another, I guess it just means your ambidextrous:)

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
I read somewhere that most people's dominant eye is their left eye which makes it easier to bat "right handed." Since most people do things with their right hand, they just assume that the way those people bat would be called "right handed" also. Interesting theories...

jrb518

Addicted to Softballfans
I shoot a rifle with my left i throw righty and i bat switch but i tend to be a pull hitter so when i bat righty i shoot it down the right field line. Its all a matter of preference

jaj23

Eye Baller
LOL right:rolleyes:

You can get more whip on the bat.

Hitting is not a rotational activity, it's a linear one. Only people who have poor hitting mechanics get more power with an overlap grip. If you understand the mechanics of hitting, you know that an overlap grip is of no value.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Hitting is not a rotational activity, it's a linear one. Only people who have poor hitting mechanics get more power with an overlap grip. If you understand the mechanics of hitting, you know that an overlap grip is of no value.

How did you come to that conclusion?

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North

I think it depends on if you have a more linear or roational swing. To each their own I guess.

jadavis17

Coach
How did you come to that conclusion?

hope jaj23 would agree with this response but to maximize power in your swing you take your hands in a straight path to the ball bringing your bottom hand in towards your body and driving your top hand through the ball. You should never actually rotate your wrist until after you have made contact with the ball so whether or not your fingers are overlapped or not should not matter. Im assuming by rotational you mean during your load you turn your upper body in and as you begin your swing you extend your hands and rotate your upper body but thats not mechanically right. The further your hands are away from your body, the less power your have. You can still hit a ball a long way doing that if you have a lot of power because after all your hitting composite bats but usually if you hit that way your either a dead pull hitter or don't hit the ball to the opposite side nearly as hard as you pull it. keeping your hands inside the ball and exploding with the top hand is the only way to hit the ball to all parts of the field with authority.;)