arguing with umpires

Luthershot

I am overrated
How many of you argue a call with umpires? Seems like almost every team has a guy or two that can't let a call go. I look at if you question his ability, you surely won't get the call later.

We have an ump in one league that calls every play at first an out unless the ball is not caught or the runner is a good two strides past the bag. I play first and there have been plays where i know the runner beat the throw to me and he calls them out. But guys continue to argue the call amd to me that just makes him call a worst game.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to argue every time I thought the ump was wrong. Then I realized I wasn't enjoying myself and stopped.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
How many of you argue a call with umpires? Seems like almost every team has a guy or two that can't let a call go. I look at if you question his ability, you surely won't get the call later.

We have an ump in one league that calls every play at first an out unless the ball is not caught or the runner is a good two strides past the bag. I play first and there have been plays where i know the runner beat the throw to me and he calls them out. But guys continue to argue the call amd to me that just makes him call a worst game.

The umpires don't have a right to make up their own rules. If they blow a close call, fine. If they're inventing their own rules to the game, they deserve anything and everything.

If we had an umpire like you described, I'd make sure he never umpired another ball game that I played. Thats ridiculous.

murc

Arguing a call(ball/strike; safe/out) is a big effing waste of time... They see it how they see it regardless of how awful the call is. The only time I feel like an argument is legit is when an umpire fails to enforce the rules of the game properly. In addition, the only TIME it's legit is when an LD or someone similar is around.

AveregeJay

Banned User
It's a rec sport and the umps have better things to do then to listen to some washed up ex-college baller who never made it to the bigs argue calls.

Sorry I just got real

Luthershot

I am overrated
The umpires don't have a right to make up their own rules. If they blow a close call, fine. If they're inventing their own rules to the game, they deserve anything and everything.

If we had an umpire like you described, I'd make sure he never umpired another ball game that I played. Thats ridiculous.

It used fo piss me off, but be calls it the same for all teams. May not make it right, but arguing seems to get you nowhere.

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
Yes and thank you.

Well first off you can not argue a judgement call.. so really you are just bitching about it. You can only argue a rule and most people [which i bet you are one as well] are too lazy to ever read a rule book and just cry a made up situation that benefits themselves and has nothing to do with the rules. Your post is useless since all you are really doing is bitching about judgement calls and even those are not all that bad unless its just going one way and not the other.

Further more.. I say its your fault for putting it in the umps hands... you get thrown out for trying to take another bag you are the dumb ass not the ump. He never made ya hit the 12 hopper you are trying to beat out either. Reason I say 12 hopper cuz if you hit with any zip at all the throw would beat ya anyways.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Had some idiots argue an infield fly call (seriously, why is that such a difficult thing to understand?!?). Well, 3 guys got kicked out from their team because of it. Left them with 8 guys. Pretty classy if I do say so myself...

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Ive never seen anyone win vs an ump... no matter how wrong the ump is. Pride just wont let them admit mistakes. That being said, if you cant win, Dont argue.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah arguing or questioning an ump is stupid. I beat a throw out by a step one time and was called out, I figured I should have beat it out by two steps because I don't want the calls to be close enough to be questionable, I swing at anything close on a full count just because I don't want to put it in blue's hands. I'm willing to spot a team a call or two. My theory is that no team should let a game get close enough to where officials make or break the outcome. It's disrespectful too, no matter how much the umpire sucks

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
Had some idiots argue an infield fly call (seriously, why is that such a difficult thing to understand?!?). Well, 3 guys got kicked out from their team because of it. Left them with 8 guys. Pretty classy if I do say so myself...

If the ump misapplies it, I complained in another thread about the fact an ump didn't call an infield fly with two runners on, less then two outs and my ss was standing under the ball, and the same game the ump called an infield fly when the ball was hit over to the first base fence in foul territory, he didn't say infield fly if fair, he called infield fly. I understand in the first scenario if the fielder is on the run, and there's a chance at him not being in position for ordinary effort in catching the ball, but he was camped under the pop up.

ktown808

The Unknowns
Arguing with the ump is like arguing with your gf/wife/both...no matter if you're right or not it will only get you in more trouble than it's worth.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
Bull****. I've admitted being wrong to a player/coach.

I've had umps tell me they missed a call before, and I respect them for that, they don't typically overturn the call, but they say sorry, and we move on.

But those umps are also the ones that have umped me for 12 years and give me as much grief as I give them.

osufan2k

Addicted to Softballfans
I never argue balls or strikes or judgement calls... If the ump makes a really terrible call that both teams can see is wrong... i'll say something but don't argue. Just no point.

Also, I realize the umps probably don't enjoy umping a bunch of amateur softball players. They don't get paid a lot and have to deal with a lot of bull crap so why make it worse on them? Even though they make bad calls, at least we have umpires that are willing to work our games.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
sometimes i be like "no way blue!!! no stinkin way!!!" and they are all "i cant be at 3 places at one time". then im like "pull ur head out of ur ass".

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
as an umpire i know when i miss a call.. that being said i am ABSOULTELY not going to change my call.. as a player i let the ump know that i thought he missed the call and i move on.. no need to gon on for 10 min. about a missed call...

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
as an umpire i know when i miss a call.. that being said i am ABSOULTELY not going to change my call.. as a player i let the ump know that i thought he missed the call and i move on.. no need to gon on for 10 min. about a missed call...

what if you know ur ****ing wrong? i had an up do it our last tourney and i tip my hat to her.

guy on my team hit a ball foul down the 3b line, left field cuts across and catches it with his foot about 3 inches over the OB line. she says batter is out. we all are like wtf?. she says, "batter is out, he caught the ball and his foot was on the line." the head umpire happened to be watching the game and our coach talked to her and then the head ump came and confirmed, foot on the line is out of bounds and the call was reversed.

i disagree with umps making a quick call, but stick to it even tho they know they are wrong just for the simple fact they dont want to admit they are wrong. saying you ABSOLUTELY wont change ur playcall is lame. im thinking ur probably a crappy ump.

LOCO33

Addicted to Softballfans
sometimes i be like "no way blue!!! no stinkin way!!!" and they are all "i cant be at 3 places at one time". then im like "pull ur head out of ur ass".

thats fine but don't let me hear you say it or you would be gone

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Close ones let go. Blown calls just let them know with love and lollipops and more often you'll get the next close one. As a Manager its not always easy to control when you got a bunch of fired up guys and something gets said.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans

Why wouldnt you change the call if you KNOW it was wrong. No balls.

Bout350

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never been one to argue with the ump. I might go up in between innings and ask for an explanation on a base running call. Arguing balls/strikes never works with most of our umps so it's a waste of breath and they are likely to not give you much "help" on future calls. I tell my pitcher to "chill out" every now and then cause he wants to argue with blue while on the mound in between pitches...which I find retarded.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
As an ump, I don't argue with an ump. I might have a simple conversation with them in between innings or after the game is all.

When I am umping, if I make a mistake on a rule, I will change it to make it right, and yes, that has happened, once.

If I make a decision call, arguing will get you nowhere, and possibly the parking lot if you carry on too much. If you argue balls/strikes, I will give you 1 warning, and if I hear another word out of your mouth, you will be gone. I will let an ooohhh, or uummm, or was that a strike slide, but don't turn or come off the mound and tell me what is and isn't a strike.

Finally, I will not help out or discriminate one way or another based on arguing/comments/physical gestures etc... from or towards a team. I will stay consistent throughout the game.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
thats fine but don't let me hear you say it or you would be gone

doubt it. umps are like cops and hall monitors. always trying to act tough and whatnot. my comment was a joke. oh yah, and umps/hall monitors are always the serious type too, they need to pull their heads outta their asses imo.

in all honesty, i never argue calls. im usually the guy who's trying to calm teammates down when a call is questionable.

LOCO33

Addicted to Softballfans
Biggest thing that I notice is as long as you are moving and trying to get into the best possible position it stops alot of problems. There are still things you can't control. But I give the players the effort I want to see when I play.