arguing with umpires

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
I actually had our LD (I umpire in this league too) apologize to me after a game where our umpire blew a call. We had a guy standing on 3rd with all of his body in foul territory except the foot he had on the base. Right hander burns one down the line, in foul territory. Our guy stays on the bag but gets hit in the ass. After the ball hit him and rolled to the fence he steps off the bag and starts rubbing his ass and jumping up and down. Umpire calls him out and walks back behind the bag. I calmly walk over to him, explain the situation and tell him he only out if he's off the bag and it must be a fair ball. He looks at me and starts to make something up for me to be wrong, and then turns around to the LD. The LD, great old guy who loves the game but doesn't really know all the rules and all, tells him it's his game make the call.... so he keeps his initial call and the game goes on. I don't really get too loud or anything with them, I just said to him, we're paying you to be here and you're paid to call the game by the rules so you might want to open that book they gave you at the meeting we were both at.... and I walk away. After the game the LD asks me, infront of the umpire that called our game, to explain the rule to him. After I was done he looked at the other umpire and says.... and I swear he said it just like this, "well you screwed them (us) that time didn't you". He apologized to me and life went on.

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an ump for 3-4 years that was horrible. Had people threatening to kick his ass in the parking lot after games he was so bad. Then one day he blew a call horribly in the championship game. Both teams were n his face wanting and not wanting it over turned. (Haha makes me laugh thinking about the situation) so u know what this genius does? Calls a do over. Lolz talk about people being pissed. The team who should have won lost because of this.

dgambill85

Banned User
Suck it up and drink a beer. It's retarded to argue calls. I'll say ceiling blue once. If the height limit
Doesn't change then I start to push it myself.

ktown808

The Unknowns
If you are going to try to call someone out for grammer, you may want to make sure yours is perfect first.
"worst" THAN this post!
Genius.

Most people that try and make others look dumb know how to spell grammar too.

Last edited:

OTech

Ambisinister Pitcher
I've never said anything to an ump other than let him know I'm a lefty, or shoot the **** for a moment. If it's a question of rules, I don't carry a rule book with me. If it's a judgement call, oh well. It's his or her judgement.

Fox27

Manager
I like giving them **** when I play in my own town just bc I know them all and they know I am just messing with them. But you can only laugh at the guy who gets pissed and wants to fight the umpire

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a rec sport and the umps have better things to do then to listen to some washed up ex-college baller who never made it to the bigs argue calls.

Sorry I just got real

You didnt just get real. This has no bearing on me what so ever. Now if you said some never was then it would have gotten real. I don't argue calls because they never get changed anyway. Most of the time it is just bitching, but I won't do it to the umpire because I would like for us to get the next close play.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
what if you know ur ****ing wrong? i had an up do it our last tourney and i tip my hat to her.

guy on my team hit a ball foul down the 3b line, left field cuts across and catches it with his foot about 3 inches over the OB line. she says batter is out. we all are like wtf?. she says, "batter is out, he caught the ball and his foot was on the line." the head umpire happened to be watching the game and our coach talked to her and then the head ump came and confirmed, foot on the line is out of bounds and the call was reversed.

i disagree with umps making a quick call, but stick to it even tho they know they are wrong just for the simple fact they dont want to admit they are wrong. saying you ABSOLUTELY wont change ur playcall is lame. im thinking ur probably a crappy ump.

You have an out of bounds line? Can't afford fences?

ZKong

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an ump call an inside pitch a strike last night. I called time, asked for clarification and he said, "It was hittable." :eek:

I dont argue often, if at all, but if his words were true, a guy would have to swing at damn near everything.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Arguing with an umpire is like arguing with a police officer on the street after you have cuffs on. They arent going to change their minds if you act like a moron. If you act respectful and talk to them like an adult and not screaming across the field they will speak with you. Don't argue judgement calls, that is like banging your head into a wall. You won't change anything and you will just have a headache.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
I actually had our LD (I umpire in this league too) apologize to me after a game where our umpire blew a call. We had a guy standing on 3rd with all of his body in foul territory except the foot he had on the base. Right hander burns one down the line, in foul territory. Our guy stays on the bag but gets hit in the ass. After the ball hit him and rolled to the fence he steps off the bag and starts rubbing his ass and jumping up and down. Umpire calls him out and walks back behind the bag. I calmly walk over to him, explain the situation and tell him he only out if he's off the bag and it must be a fair ball. He looks at me and starts to make something up for me to be wrong, and then turns around to the LD. The LD, great old guy who loves the game but doesn't really know all the rules and all, tells him it's his game make the call.... so he keeps his initial call and the game goes on. I don't really get too loud or anything with them, I just said to him, we're paying you to be here and you're paid to call the game by the rules so you might want to open that book they gave you at the meeting we were both at.... and I walk away. After the game the LD asks me, infront of the umpire that called our game, to explain the rule to him. After I was done he looked at the other umpire and says.... and I swear he said it just like this, "well you screwed them (us) that time didn't you". He apologized to me and life went on.

And if you said that to me while on the field, you would watch the rest of the game from the parking lot.

dsmccain

Addicted to Softballfans
Arguing gets you nowhere, especially on judgement calls(ball strike, out at first). However, I understand when people would get worked up if the ump is not making an effort at making the call(not putting themselve to get a better view of the play, just chatting away or whatnot, no effort).

Even though they are umping a bunch of has-beens who never made it, they still voluntarily accepted that position as their job, which they are getting paid for, no matter how little.

Luthershot

I am overrated
Well first off you can not argue a judgement call.. so really you are just bitching about it. You can only argue a rule and most people [which i bet you are one as well] are too lazy to ever read a rule book and just cry a made up situation that benefits themselves and has nothing to do with the rules. Your post is useless since all you are really doing is bitching about judgement calls and even those are not all that bad unless its just going one way and not the other.

Further more.. I say its your fault for putting it in the umps hands... you get thrown out for trying to take another bag you are the dumb ass not the ump. He never made ya hit the 12 hopper you are trying to beat out either. Reason I say 12 hopper cuz if you hit with any zip at all the throw would beat ya anyways.

Again, thanks. However, I do not argue calls.....never have. I was simply inquiring about people who do and mentioned a situation where I see it happen often. With that said, I am sorry I wasted your precious time with my worthless post. Next time I will PM you first to make sure my post is to your high standards.

I do agree with what you said though.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Argue the call? No. I will ask questions. Last one, was the umpire was out of position, and there is no way he saw whether I was tagged or not. I asked if he actually saw the tag, and when he said no, I simply ask how can you call what you don't see? But in his defense at least he got out from behind home plate. That's the only time I really complain about a call is when it's a single ump system, and he NEVER moves out from behind the plate. I've started umpiring non-sanctioned single ump, and if there's going to be a play at another bag besides home, I at least try and get there for a better view.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
EdFred, we had a 1st year ump last night tell us he called a runner safe because the runner slid around the tag.... We were confused because our 2nd baseman got the ball, put his glove in front of the bag, runner slid into it, and was "safe". This was another "one ump" system, and the ump was behind our catcher. Still not sure how a runner slid around a tag on a play that he slid directly into the base. Starting to really not like one ump systems....

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Oh, I hate the one ump system when they don't move from behind the plate. There are a couple good ones that will get out to the rubber, or get down the lines for plays at 1st and 3rd, and I have no problem with that. The ones that bother me are the guys and girls that make the call from behind home plate at 2nd and I'm standing on the rubber. Turn and look, and there is no way they saw the play looking right through me. I'll usually say "it's easier to make the right call from 30' away than 100' away."