arguing with umpires

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
All you people bitching about umping, I got a question for you. How many of you actually ump?

If you don't ump, do it, it will change the way you think about umps.

jrodm13

Addicted to Softballfans
I once slid into 3rd, and clearly beat the throw there. The ump called me out and all I said was, "are you kidding me?" He responded that American Idol was on tonight and he wanted to make it back for the beginning of it.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
All you people bitching about umping, I got a question for you. How many of you actually ump?

I do, unsanctioned, and always get my ass out from behind the plate. That's why I complain about those that don't.

franknwhit

Game on!
Umpired for 15 yrs. still umpire a couple benefit tourneys. A ump i use to work with told me make your call and sell it and stick with it right or wrong most times players will not *****. You don't argue with the players or players you tell them what you called and that's it play on. If they keep arguing a warning is given and that's it. They're is no need to argue just tell you did not like the call and play on. Umps make mistakes just like players do.

jsiders6

Addicted to Softballfans
as an umpire i know when i miss a call.. that being said i am ABSOULTELY not going to change my call.. as a player i let the ump know that i thought he missed the call and i move on.. no need to gon on for 10 min. about a missed call...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't argue judgement calls but I will occasionally tell the ump that he missed one.

If you argue every single call, you lose credibility.

There is no question that an ump is going to miss calls. All we can do is accept it as part of the game.

coolluvr4u1976

#1 bomb dropper

I umpire, and the only time i say something about a call, is when the Umpire had no way to actually make a decent call on the play because he can't get out of his Bubble the surrounds home plate....

When I do umpire, i am running down the line and am out around the pitcher's mound to make call's... and yes most of the time I am the only umpire for the game... yes I am sure i have blown a call, but usually it's the super close calls, that doesnt matter how you call it, one team will let you hear about it lol...

I actually had someone question how i could call someone "safe" when the ball clearly beat the guy to the bag....

my response lol... Well the guy tagged him on his upper thigh, and just because the ball beats someone to the bag doesnt mean he is out....

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You have an out of bounds line? Can't afford fences?

can't afford? haha, u trying to burn my town? oooooo, good one. the side fences end at the light poles on the side lines. catch was made mid way between hr fence and light pole. i'd say our fields are pretty damn nice. right along the river with great mountain views. they're even nicer than these old pics depict.

Walla-Walla-Point-Park.jpg

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The arcs at the end of the infields are all wrong IMO.

i dont know how old that pic is. much more developed now. infields are better shaped, grass is thick and plush. honestly, they are pretty nice fields. i would say both of our complexes are above average.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
Calls on the bases no need to argue, they're dealing with limited view like any other base ump. Balls and strikes, if I know the home plate ump is also a player in the league and I don't like their strike call, I'll jokingly ask if they could have hit that pitch, and thats the end of it. It's recreation sport no sense in busting balls.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't expect an umpire to reverse a poor call........That's just silly. I'm not arguing about the call in order for them to reverse it, but to make them aware that their call was **** and for them to know that we all saw it, so that they'll get their head out and do a better job on the next call.

Really?.........If we don't question a poor call, where is their incentive to try to do a better job on the next play?

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
If I "argue" a call, it normally doesn't go beyond a sentence because I know it won't change anything. Moreso just voicing my displeasure. Only time it will go beyond that is if I believe they are misapplying/misinterpreting a rule. Had it happen recently where a base coach pulled a runner who rolled his ankle as he came back to/overran first, to get him back in contact with the bag. We got into a lengthy conversation with the umpire, who said after we pointed out the rule that "it wasn't his call to make" and said to talk to the LD. We told him it WAS his call as an umpire and it was a pretty cut and dried situation. Ended up being told by the LD to "have some compassion for the injured player" and drop it. Lost the game by a good margin anyway so it didn't matter in the long run, but it's a good example of a time where arguing/discussing a call actually makes sense.

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a ump who told me he appreciate my talking with him about his calls, he said it made him work harder. We get along well.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
If you're civil, it should be no big deal. I bitched about a couple of strike calls last night to the umpire. He said he was doing his best.....Can't fault him for that. It's the ones that don't care that are the worst. After the game we talked about it and neither one of us were still upset about it.

Drew34

Addicted to Softballfans
If you've got only one ump in league games then missing calls at 3rd, 2nd and 1st it's going to happen and I just tell myself it's only one guy watching the entire game give him a break. There are a few umps that just show up for the money and it is what it is.

funfitfriendly

Starting Player
I have questioned umpire calls and rule interpretations. I have rarely won a call on umpires discretion but have got umps to change their position on rule interpretations , mainly because i know my rules as well if not better then some umps. I won one the other day, the ump called a ground hit that hit third base intitially a fowl ball, I called out hey it hit the bag its a fair ball,he said oh yeah you are right and reversed the call.

Last edited:

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Why, he didn't curse?

If you think cursing is needed to be ejected, you are sadly mistaken. This is what will get you tossed " just said to him, we're paying you to be here and you're paid to call the game by the rules so you might want to open that book they gave you at the meeting we were both at...."

And you're there to play ball not call the game. Don't do it on the field talk to the LD who was sitting right there after the game.

paul3

Addicted to Softballfans
If the ump misapplies it, I complained in another thread about the fact an ump didn't call an infield fly with two runners on, less then two outs and my ss was standing under the ball, and the same game the ump called an infield fly when the ball was hit over to the first base fence in foul territory, he didn't say infield fly if fair, he called infield fly. I understand in the first scenario if the fielder is on the run, and there's a chance at him not being in position for ordinary effort in catching the ball, but he was camped under the pop up.

The infield fly rule is to protect the batting team. Why would you be upset if he didn't call it for your defensive team? Also you only stated that there were 2 runners on base, you didn't say what bases they were on. If one of those runners was on 3rd base, it would not be an infield fly rule situation. In the foul situation, was the ball caught? If not did it land foul and he call the batter out?

Synergy81

Addicted to Softballfans
There are just some situations where its called for. If you're paying to play and don't have a sponsor, then its not really rec, its not some pick up game. Its still just for fun, but I think you have a right to TALK to the umpire. You can't call him out on something in front of everyone, more than likely it will get you 0 calls for the rest of the game. But when you're paying to play, balls and strikes are something that should be called a lot closer since they are right behind the plate. I hate swinging at crap I know is a ball, but if you put it in blue's hands its going to go either way, and there is nothing you can do. My wife, who is 5' 0" has strike 3 called on her on a ball that gets no higher than 4' (We have the 6 and 10 rule). I simply asked him "if she is 5 foot, and it got no higher than a foot below her head, how is that a strike?" He wouldn't even look at me. She gets frustrated because they either call her on strikes she has to lumberjack to hit, or use a pitching wedge. It takes the fun out of the game when they can't even get balls and strikes right. She gets pissed at me because i say wait for your pitch, but she rarely gets anything to hit because they are all strikes and she has to hack at anything close with any count. I can see missing close plays on bases since there is only one ump, but at least get the height of the pitch correct.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I don't expect an umpire to reverse a poor call........That's just silly. I'm not arguing about the call in order for them to reverse it, but to make them aware that their call was **** and for them to know that we all saw it, so that they'll get their head out and do a better job on the next call.

Really?.........If we don't question a poor call, where is their incentive to try to do a better job on the next play?

Lay down the law son, lay that ish down.

oppo

Coach
Arguing a judgement is a waste of time. Arguing rule interpretations is also a waste of time. If it is an incorrect rule interpretation, explain your point and then protest. There is no need to act like a fool. If the ump is intentionally blowing calls to get the game over early and is dumb enough to admit to it, it is time to have a chat with the LD. There is never a reason to be "that guy". There is also no reason for an umpire to try and convince a player he made the right call. That is even worse than a player arguing.

funfitfriendly

Starting Player
Reading these messages on umpiring is fascinating. it appears the majority of players doesn't think discussing calls with an umpire helps the situation. Wrong, wrong ...just because a majority feels something about an issue does not make it the the right way. In the past I was a carded umpire and never had a problem with anyone questioning me on a rule interpretation, they could even say something about a discretionary call. i would not hold it against them, umpires in general are a little more professional then that. One message on this topic, said they would protest a rule interpretation rathern then discussing it with an umpire is silly. Why would you launch a formal protest before discussing it with an umpire. If its rec ball I don't mind clarifying the rule for an enquiring player. its all in how you communicate, just be respectful.

oppo

Coach
Reading these messages on umpiring is fascinating. it appears the majority of players doesn't think discussing calls with an umpire helps the situation. Wrong, wrong ...just because a majority feels something about an issue does not make it the the right way. In the past I was a carded umpire and never had a problem with anyone questioning me on a rule interpretation, they could even say something about a discretionary call. i would not hold it against them, umpires in general are a little more professional then that. One message on this topic, said they would protest a rule interpretation rathern then discussing it with an umpire is silly. Why would you launch a formal protest before discussing it with an umpire. If its rec ball I don't mind clarifying the rule for an enquiring player. its all in how you communicate, just be respectful.

Discussing and arguing are two very different things. You might want to read that post again, also. I specifically said you should discuss the call and then protest if necessary.

funfitfriendly

Starting Player
Arguing a judgement is a waste of time. Arguing rule interpretations is also a waste of time. If it is an incorrect rule interpretation, explain your point and then protest. There is no need to act like a fool. If the ump is intentionally blowing calls to get the game over early and is dumb enough to admit to it, it is time to have a chat with the LD. There is never a reason to be "that guy". There is also no reason for an umpire to try and convince a player he made the right call. That is even worse than a player arguing.

Arguing and discussing are the same thing according to my dictionary Websters Collegiate " argue -to consider the pros and cons of : discuss :" So for me its all in how you argue /discuss the call, just be respectful. I think its respectful of an umpure to explain a call that someone is unclear of. Its not a sign of weakness but of strength. Allowing poor umpires and misplaced calls to go unchallenged leads to more negativity in the long run. Players will go home wishing they said something and feeling t taken advatange of. Poor umpiring is near to player abuse, don't let it happen, say something.

Last edited: