Why do people take coed softball so seriously?

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I play a lot of ball like im sure most of you do...I play with all types of skill levels from recreational on up to B/A players. I have played in a broad spectrum of competition but I have yet to understand why guys take coed so seriously.

I see guys who I play with reguarly make fools of themselves in coed by arguing calls/acting out who would otherwise not do something like that. Ive seen more shaved/painted bats at that level of play as well. What gives?

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Because people are jerks? Get young men around women and they act even more the fool? Add alcohol and only the bad traits are multiplied? Take your pick.

Here are some free tips for making YOUR team stand above:

- have coaches that actually coach
- have your coaches and players know the rules
- no drinking until AFTER the game
- focus on sportsmanship

Do those 4 things at all well and you will be better than 90% of the teams out there.

TDW13

Come At Me Bro!
They are average to below average players on tourney teams but feel like all stars on the coed teams.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I play a lot of ball like im sure most of you do...I play with all types of skill levels from recreational on up to B/A players. I have played in a broad spectrum of competition but I have yet to understand why guys take coed so seriously.

I see guys who I play with reguarly make fools of themselves in coed by arguing calls/acting out who would otherwise not do something like that. Ive seen more shaved/painted bats at that level of play as well. What gives?

because its all I have left............:(:( sniff, sniff.

64impalass

Addicted to Softballfans
What bugs me is most coed teams put a below avg chick in rite an all the guys saying " go to right, it's there all day".

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
What might be equally as bad is that girl who talks trash on the co ed field....man I hate that

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
It's just people's competitive nature flaring it's sometimes ugly head. It's why you get brawls at little league football games among parents. You'd get the same buffoonery at a whiffle ball league if it involved competition.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
It beats the heck out of me - possibly to share with the wife or sig other. I played A & "open" "unlimited" ball when younger, over 50 Major/Major+. Maybe I was just too serious for the game. I tried 2 or 3 times to play co-ed (LA/OC area) - (once with my wife who was an unlimited Vball player as was I - so we tried my sport together, but she had never played and hours were spent to get her semi-ok <which was better than she was in the marriage>). At no time did I enjoy it. 1 - because I was always afraid I'd hurt someone (did) 2- didn't like the attitude of the guys (over trying the hero/show off stuff - attitudy like women - not the softball approach I was use to from men<mens' teams>) enjoyed the spirit of most of the gals for the most part - didn't care for the overt male-females (dykes) especially when they made passes at my wife action.

Recently playing on week nights I would show up early to beat traffic and would watch some co-ed. There is was again - the girls were spirited and having fun. Some of the guys were trying to be softball studs with negligible skills and see me plays/efforts and some really out of place big mouths and pushy ego/attitudes.

I guess some feel that they need to impress even at the co-ed level. Maybe for some that's all they have. Maybe for others it's a family thing. Maybe for some it's a community thing. Maybe for others it's a social/drinking thing. Maybe for some it's a pick up thing. Maybe for others it's a physical outlet. Maybe for some it just plain fun.

Basically it's a marginally elevated "picnic" game only with organized teams. More or less as serious as mixed bowling. There are other sports that are fun to play co-ed - volleyball being one (limited numbers compared to softball - less on a team) where there is a good time had with no rancor. Somehow when it comes to the softball field some stud muffins lose it, and look and sound stupid while doing so.

There are responsible areas of life where men need to "man up" - co-ed softball is not one of them.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
want to impress the ladies....cmon bro!

An always got a kick outta this: Every girl thinks there AWESOME at softball....when in reality they are absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!

Tobes42

Here for the popcorn!
Because people are jerks? Get young men around women and they act even more the fool? Add alcohol and only the bad traits are multiplied? Take your pick.

- focus on sportsmanship

Do those 4 things at all well and you will be better than 90% of the teams out there.

Wait....what?!

lx_2nv

Coach
Alpha-male syndrome!!! We wanna pound our chests in front of chicks. It's human nature. I jut get mad at myself when I suck though, not tryin to be a stud. My girl doesnt play or go out so I got no one to impress...besides hitting a HR isnt gonna impress her anyway. Go figure.

PHXCobra

Addicted to Softballfans
When I play coed I am there purely for fun. There is a coed team out here where I umpire that is far too serious. I actually despise doing there games. Their coach is a mid 40s guy who yells and screams about a missed ball or pretty much any out when they hit, yet he is their worst player.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i just never got why people make ti so competitive...its hard when you have girls and guys on the same team. the girls are always a liability. its just the way it is.

its not competitive when theres a 120lb girl grabbing the 30oz bat and hitting weak dribblers to ss/3b. you actually see the bat recoil from the contact. its not competitive when you can't throw home because the girl catcher won't catch the ball. its not competitive when you have a coed line to keep everyone from scooting in on the girls.

its for funnsies....stop trying to make it more than it is.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Girls tell me all the time that they're better then me.

That's my favorite part about co-ed.

grubd

Banned User
didn't care for the overt male-females (dykes) especially when they made passes at my wife action.

R

Basically it's a marginally elevated "picnic" game only with organized teams. More or less as serious as mixed bowling. There are other sports that are fun to play co-ed - volleyball being one (limited numbers compared to softball - less on a team) where there is a good time had with no rancor. Somehow when it comes to the softball field some stud muffins lose it, and look and sound stupid while doing so.

There are responsible areas of life where men need to "man up" - co-ed softball is not one of them.

Bull dykes are one of the things that just bug me for what ever reason more than anything else. Idk if it's their man clothes or fake deep voices or thinking they can say what ever they want.

Mixed bowling is much more competitive than coed softball. It is actually a great time and it also has handicaps to even the field.

Drew34

Addicted to Softballfans
The way I see it and the coed league I play in there's a lot of guys on other teams who don't have a skill set to play mens whatsoever. These are the people who run their mouths.

lol, you guys are pathetic hypocrites. Some people actually enjoy co-ed competition. I do. I play tourney ball, rec ball and co-ed ball and I have the MOST fun in co-ed. We are competitive, as we play in Comp divisions and some of the biggest tournaments that have a co-ed bracket in TN. The fact of the matter is, people who ENJOY co-ed will take it serious. The ones of you that don't and only play because your wife is making you,etc.. are going to sit back and say why the hell is this so serious... point blank. It dosen't matter your talent level or level of play. Iv'e seen enough SBF forum nerds in person turn out to talk big game and be absolutely ****ing terrible in person so enough with your mojo about what level you play.. you're probably lying.. and if you're not.. your a catcher on a E rec team.

sjury

The Old Man

- focus on sportsmanship

Wait....what?!

X2!!!!

lol, you guys are pathetic hypocrites. Some people actually enjoy co-ed competition. I do. I play tourney ball, rec ball and co-ed ball and I have the MOST fun in co-ed. We are competitive, as we play in Comp divisions and some of the biggest tournaments that have a co-ed bracket in TN. The fact of the matter is, people who ENJOY co-ed will take it serious. The ones of you that don't and only play because your wife is making you,etc.. are going to sit back and say why the hell is this so serious... point blank. It dosen't matter your talent level or level of play. Iv'e seen enough SBF forum nerds in person turn out to talk big game and be absolutely ****ing terrible in person so enough with your mojo about what level you play.. you're probably lying.. and if you're not.. your a catcher on a E rec team.

There is a difference between competitive coed and rec league coed. Just like there is a difference in tournament teams and bar teams. What the OP and most people are saying is if you sign up for a recreational coed softball league through your local Park and Rec Office, and you get out on the field with people that play once a week and do not pick up a bat unless they're at a game, wear jeans, and don't have cleats, and you have that one douche guy or dyke girl that has a chip on their shoulder and is out for blood when you get a tshirt and sponsor plaque at the end of the year, it makes the game BS. Yes you should play to win, but it's not life or death, and never worth arguing calls or hurting anyone.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs

- focus on sportsmanship

If I couldn't drink I'm not sure I'd ever play softball.

eric89074

Addicted to Softballfans
Co-ed isn't too bad if you don't treat it like the world series. Only problem I've had is a few girls that want you to beg them to play each week or those that take their spot for granted because they know you're short on women.