"new standard" ASA overhyped?

EvilE

Daddy 2011!!!!
I have tried several of the "new standard" asa bats now. None of them have wowed me. I have tried the Wanted asa, asa DB, Mercy, and Fu Dawg. None of them blew my socks off like all the overhyping retards on here claim.

That said, they do hit very nice, not saying they didn't/don't. Im just saying I think the new bats are WAYYYY overhyped, and my dumb ass fell for it. It is truly the indian not the arrow with bats. Any of the old school top tier bats hit just as good, sometimes better then the new bats. My Reap2 still outhits any of the new standard bats I've tried.

Sorry to burst ur bubble overhypers, hype on!!;)

shaunt

Central CA Vinci Rep
I disagree with you. Maybe an old Asa bat with 2k+ hits can hang but new out of wrapper these new bats are far beyond the old

I disagree with you. Maybe an old Asa bat with 2k+ hits can hang but new out of wrapper these new bats are far beyond the old

so it's a catch 22....

do people want a bat hot out of the wrapper with less bat life

or...

a bat that takes longer to break in and has a longer bat life....

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans
so it's a catch 22....

or...

That's pretty much what it comes down to these days. I've never heard anyone hype a bat by saying this bat has awesome durabity it's just not as appealing as this bat drops bombs!!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
They are definitely over hyped if you've ever swung a truly broken in best pre-abi. Just because the paint is beat up and worn off the end doesn't mean it's broken in. Having said that, if you are hitting 52's and therefore not as concerned with durability the new bats are damn good right out of the wrapper which is best for a majority of players including me now too (newborn and construction picking up limits bp).

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
It depends with the 52/300 ball the bat makes a lot less differnce so a well broken in OG can come close to the new standard bats. Try hitting a J3a or Monsta with some harder balls and it will significnalty outhit the OG.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You're high. I've personally witnessed people picking up my new bats and hitting much farther than they have any business hitting. In two weeks of league, I have 2 guys on my team that have hit their first career HR's. It's not an accident, these new bats are beyond anything we've seen thus far.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
I hit two NIW ASA bats last night. I hit a HR about 330 ft and line drive in 4 hole. They are hitting just fine.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
so it's a catch 22....

or...

You clearly don't know what Catch 22 means.

Why would anyone's bubble be burst by your opinion EvilE? Is your opinion somehow fact now? Who would've thought that a pre-abi bat with thousands of hits would outhit a new bat? :rolleyes: Did they make people stop making the pre-abis because they exceeded the standard once broken in? :rolleyes:

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
You said it yourself, it's the Indian not the arrow. It's not overhype if they really do work for the ones swinging it. Just like any bat, pre abi or new standard, you have to swing what fits you best. Its not being "hyped" by people who DON'T like them or are just hyping them to sell their product. The new standard bats DO work for a lot of people and their results are being shared (or hyped as you put it) with everyone. And yes, my 1000 hit j3a out hits anything I've ever owned right out the wrapper but that's because it fits ME. I've swung 2000+ hit scn3s and scx3s, 5000+ hit freak 98s and recoils and m7598s, 2000+ hit rd28s. It even out hits 500+ hit utrip z1k and z2k for me. Just my .02

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
Our team has taken the time to try out the new and old bats with several different balls
Heres what we've swung of the new stuff, our team owns these and has put a ton of hits on them. Mercy, J3A, DBA, Z2K(not really new standard) Hands down the Mercy and J3A are better then the DBA and the Z2K.
They hit the 52. 300 (Dudley Hycor) as far as the 44. 375 (Dudley Thunder Heat) Both dozen balls were fresh less then 2 weeks old.

We have a ton Of OGs Flexs, Extendeds, Reapers, Recoils, RD28s, Velocites Literally a couple hundred bats to choose from.

The good and broken in OGs still hit the 44. 375 and harder balls better. Im only comparing distance and pop here, But the OGs that are REALLY broken in (dont pass ASA comp test are better.) For a tourney Bat these are still the way to go, And still cannot be touched in max distance on the sweetspot. Although the new stuff does have a little more pop and sometimes a better sweetspot in some cases.

When it comes to the 52. 300s all the OGs stay in the bag, for whatever reason the J3A and Mercy really make these balls POP off the bat more then any others...

The break in and durability is all subjective to what your using the bat for.

slink35

Addicted to Softballfans
Changes had to be made to keep ASA relevant. With those mush balls, they had to do something to keep guys playing ASA. We went to NSA here and I love it.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
I need to get my hands on a Mercy but my 400 hit ASA DB is as good as any EXT or Flex that I have swung. And I've pretty much played ASA only since the early 2000's.

And its the first Combat I have ever swung so I wouldn't say I'm biased. I prefer Easton's actually but I just can't put the DB down right now.

WE still hit 44/375. The cracking sound the DB makes is tremendously awesome.

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
I need to get my hands on a Mercy but my 400 hit ASA DB is as good as any EXT or Flex that I have swung. And I've pretty much played ASA only since the early 2000's.

And its the first Combat I have ever swung so I wouldn't say I'm biased. I prefer Easton's actually but I just can't put the DB down right now.

WE still hit 44/375. The cracking sound the DB makes is tremendously awesome.

How many hits Did it take for your DB to start to pop the ball, Yours is the orange ASA only right? Our DBA is at 60-70 hits right now no-one wants to swing it. Has no pop whatsoever.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
It had significant webbing after about 100 cage swings. Been on fire ever since. Guys who never really hit HRs have hit them with this bat. Its weird that I have seen other people saying that theirs isn't hot. Maybe some of them are duds, I don't know. I've only swung the one I have, and I love it.

hollywood9826

The Veteran
Played first game monday with 52/300 balls. Didnt get my Wanted 275 in time so had pull out my old Rocket Tech. First hit was a an oppo laser beam between 1st and 2nd baseman. Just went with the pitch, didnt really get into it. Next AB another Oppo shot. Off the bat felt like it was a decent line shot. The thing kept carrying and hit the bottom of the fence (300ft all around). The I grounded to short adn hit another laser to left filed.

I'm expecting the wanted 275 to outhit the old rockettech. But from the way the ball was jumping off the bat I'm really not expecting a huge difference. I will know next week.

But the guys were swinging a Flipper and that ball was really jumping off the bat. They hit a couple HR's that looked like they had no business of carrying.

mstg25

**OG Horsemen**
Before call us 'retards', you could give us some information first:

What balls were you hitting with the new bats?? I know I posted a review and wrote on my experience with my new J3A AND the .44 CORE balls. 3.8 final GPA and very high position with my agency contradicts your accusation of being a retard...IJS.

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
I agree that most are hotter out of the wrapper than pre ABI's but do not agree that they outperform OG's with a .44 ball. It's instant gratification (or close to it) vs. a lot of BP/ time and effort to break in an older more durable stick. FWIW, IMO, a well broken in OG will out hit a new standard bat with any ball. Anyone who's taken a 1000 + swing Flex, Extended, or even a SRV3 to its death will most likely agree.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
with 44/375's my 300 hit dbasa is matching up to a 800 hit extended, 1500 hit scn9, and a 2000 hit m7f98 (all guesstimates) just fine and it was doing so 200 swings ago. the hype built around these bats is the fact they are matching up to past bats, WAAAY earlier and that hype is valid.

if you remember the asa days where you had to bp your bat forever(freak 98's, synergy's, catty's, mayhems) these new bats are a huge difference.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
I've given up being excited about new bats.

I'm just going to hit the ball from now on.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
there should be some hype because they are for real but yes they are over hyped. breaking in a flipper (100 swings) was easier than breaking in a juggy(1000 swings) for sure

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
there should be some hype because they are for real but yes they are over hyped. breaking in a flipper (100 swings) was easier than breaking in a juggy(1000 swings) for sure

This is the biggest difference between the 2 standards. They perform very close to each other. But, I would trust the durability a lot more on the pre ABI's when using .44's.

kampy

Addicted to Softballfans
For me personally it was more about hitting with something new. I had my SCN9 for a 5 years and hit really well with it, but then just wanted to move on. The Z2k im hitting with now just feels good and Im hitting further with it then I did with my SCN9. Im not one for taking a ton of BP so the "Hot out or Wrapper" was appealing to me and another reason I switched up.