Stupid HR derby

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Was a a small town tourney this weekend and watched the derby.
Any bat, any ball and you get 8 swings, not pitches but swings.
The winner won in the first round with 5, oh, the stupid part, they were on a 200' field, no that is not a typo, 200 foot fences.:thumb:

Miken54

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like a derby I can win :D.
Personally I never liked the pitch limit I always thought it should be swings.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the one here in town last year was bad with 44/525 and any bat on 230 fences... that definitely tops it.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I watched one a couple of months ago at a local small town charity tournament where 1 HR out of 10 swings won (300' fences though). I was out to watch a friend but thought about going to the car to get my gear, was just BAD!

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Was a a small town tourney this weekend and watched the derby.
Any bat, any ball and you get 8 swings, not pitches but swings.
The winner won in the first round with 5, oh, the stupid part, they were on a 200' field, no that is not a typo, 200 foot fences.:thumb:

that's sounds like an awesome derby, haha. I've only entered two(both free at some low end coed tournies) and won both of them due to similar rules. both had fences brought in, I think maybe they were about 250feet though, maybe 230ft.

but yeah, it was swing whatever you want(both asa tournies so everybody else was using asa bats) and they just collected a pile of random balls to use(so I told my pitcher to only throw 'good' ones). everybody else was swinging asa bats at grey dots and incrediballs, haha. I was swinging senior bats at nothing worse than a gold dot.

i'd have no chance in a fair derby, so i'll take those advantages anytime i'm allowed to, haha.

AJ22

Super Moderator
Just curious ...

- Who says a homerun derby has to be on a 300' field? Just like in any association, local rules can supercede.
- How many entries?

Sounds like a bunch of guys (or girls) possibly having a good time. If you thought it was that bad, why stick around to watch? Why not join in the fun and show off your own skills? The 'stupidity' here might go to the guy posting this on a softball forum after he went there and just watched? You could have entered ... or you could have just left if it was that stupid.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Just curious ...

- Who says a homerun derby has to be on a 300' field? Just like in any association, local rules can supercede.
- How many entries?

Sounds like a bunch of guys (or girls) possibly having a good time. If you thought it was that bad, why stick around to watch? Why not join in the fun and show off your own skills? The 'stupidity' here might go to the guy posting this on a softball forum after he went there and just watched? You could have entered ... or you could have just left if it was that stupid.

During the tourney, which I was playing in, the umps were drinking beer on the field so that tells you the kind of tourney it was.
There were 12 guys that entered.
Why enter a derby like that? It is a no win situation.
If you win, who cares it was a 200 foot field.
If you lose how did you not win with the fences only 200 foot.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
it's only no win if you come on here and brag. otherwise you get to be big fish in a small pond for a day. i'd enter

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
During the tourney, which I was playing in, the umps were drinking beer on the field so that tells you the kind of tourney it was.

So you can't do anything just for fun? And it is only lose lose if you come on here and tell people about it

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
So you can't do anything just for fun? And it is only lose lose if you come on here and tell people about it

I do all the time, I was playing in that tourney.
But couldn't you move the derby to the 300 foot field that was empty?

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans

the fences are irrelevant, you have to beat the other hitters...

I would agree, hitting a HR 'only' 200 feet isn't much to brag about, but it's still an accomplishment to do that more consistently than anybody else in the competition.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I do all the time, I was playing in that tourney.
But couldn't you move the derby to the 300 foot field that was empty?

by the sounds of things, that would have been much worse.

what's better:
holding a HR derby on a short field where the winner hits 5HR's
or
holding a HR derby on a normal field where the winner hits the fence with only one hop :p

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
the fences are irrelevant, you have to beat the other hitters...

I would agree, hitting a HR 'only' 200 feet isn't much to brag about, but it's still an accomplishment to do that more consistently than anybody else in the competition.

If the derby had taken 3-4 rounds to get the winner it would have more respectable but for the winner to do it in 1 round?

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
by the sounds of things, that would have been much worse.

what's better:
holding a HR derby on a short field where the winner hits 5HR's
or
holding a HR derby on a normal field where the winner hits the fence with only one hop :p

There were some good hitters out there that regularly go yard but that short fence really got in their heads.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Short fences will mess with you hard! Played in 2 prisons a couple of weeks ago and the 1st was 240' in left & 220' in right and center was the corner of the 2 fences and was at least 350-360' maybe even a little more and guys that normally hit them out easily on larger fields only hit 1 or 2 out of 10-12 at bats. The 2nd was maybe 200' in left, center was 300 or more and left was 500 and I popped up all but 3 at bats out of 9. Short fence syndrome. On another note, I bat righty normally and threw a coed tourney where guys have to bat opp handed and played on a 200' field and hit a couple out easily in the 250-270 range.