Punk move for church ball?

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I disagree, but so be it. I have no problem with opposing players when they don't run out a pop to the infield (to the outfield is a different story). At least in this league where it is supposed to be "fun" and the fielder is capable at his position, ground ball is a different story with the hops we get on our fields.
What excuse short of injury could possibly justify not jogging or power walking to first base? It takes almost no effort - if they make the play, you haven't exerted yourself; if they don't, then you have a free base and you haven't exerted yourself.
He doesn't teach people to strike out in baseball either, should catchers start intentionally dropping the third strike to try and get the batter to pull a hammy? Is that a head's up play? Just because something isn't against the rules doesn't necessarily make it any less bush league.
You can't turn a double play by dropping the third strike.
I think he meant a douche move to your teammates
This.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't think just heading to the dugout was an auto out, unless the ump wanted to call it...I thought if you actually entered the dugout then it was?
It is, but he wasn't watching the field so he would've walked into the dugout eventually. We were on the third base side and he was already past the plate coming back when they finally threw to first.
This is a terrible comparison. Just as terrible as bringing Tom Emanski into the discussion. Whether or not something is douchy or bush league is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that you should hustle. The rest fixes itself.

It's not any more terrible than saying Tom Emanski didn't tell you to pop up.

wcoastsoftball

What excuse short of injury could possibly justify not jogging or power walking to first base? It takes almost no effort - if they make the play, you haven't exerted yourself; if they don't, then you have a free base and you haven't exerted yourself.You can't turn a double play by dropping the third strike.This.

Like I said, I took a couple steps up the line then as I saw the ball come down and he put his glove up I turned in about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. As I did I caught out of the corner of my eye him lower the glove down and didn't realize what was going on until everyone started yelling. Did I "hustle" - no and so be it, but it wasn't like I took my bat and went home. I just assumed with his glove up ready to catch and the situation, it was a sure out for basically a tournament player and team.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
Infield fly rule should have been called (depending on the outs) and if you made an attempt toward the dugout you could have been called out also. It was a douche move for slowpitch, however it happens in baseball. The bottom line is there was a lack of hustle. Second baseman should have made sure of the out and batter should have made sure of it too.

however all of this would have been avoided if you would have only hit it 525 ft like most guys on the internet :D

This is the reason I don't take advice from people on here, good god.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Again, it's supposed to be a casual Church league game and there is no need to be Johnny ****in Hustle on a pop up to a "semi pro ringer" the other team brought in to help them win

Besides some of y'all can't read as he clearly stated he headed down the line and basically veered off when he saw Pedroia catching the ball. Pedroia then proceeded to turn into Mr. DoucheNozzle

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Again, it's supposed to be a casual Church league game and there is no need to be Johnny ****in Hustle on a pop up to a "semi pro ringer" the other team brought in to help them win
Apparently, there is a need.
crdawg2521 said:
Besides some of y'all can't read as he clearly stated he headed down the line and basically veered off when he saw Pedroia catching the ball. Pedroia then proceeded to turn into Mr. DoucheNozzle
When he saw Pedroia under the ball, not catching it.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Ah, y'all are right....100% effort all of the time in every single game regardless of level. If those on the opposite side of the ball cant handle it then get off the field and respect the game. This game isn't for those who don't want win of give 100% 24/7. Little League, Coed, Church League, Tournament ball I'm going 100% from here on out.

I believe it's disrespectful to the game to have players on the field who can't really compete. We don't get out there to have fun so if you want to have some fun head to the water park.

:thumb:

Ugh...SBF > MLB

BigRed54

so i was playing in a tourney the batter hits a screamer at me i think i catch it but it pops out of my glove and we turn two cause they stopped playing. Well there team gets in a up roar that i intentionally dropped the ball so we can turn 2, then the umpire tells them i couldn't tell if it was intentional or not. Could they even have called me for intentionally dropping the ball?

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Ah, y'all are right....100% effort all of the time in every single game regardless of level. If those on the opposite side of the ball cant handle it then get off the field and respect the game. This game isn't for those who don't want win of give 100% 24/7. Little League, Coed, Church League, Tournament ball I'm going 100% from here on out.

I believe it's disrespectful to the game to have players on the field who can't really compete. We don't get out there to have fun so if you want to have some fun head to the water park.

Ugh...SBF > MLB
It doesn't take 100% effort to trot to first base quickly enough to beat a double play on a dropped popup. Only 33 1/3%, maybe 50% if you're really slow.

wcoastsoftball

Apparently, there is a need.When he saw Pedroia under the ball, not catching it.

In all fairness, the first post does seem like i compeltely gave up from the moment it left the bat, but yes, once I saw him camping under it, I gave up.

so i was playing in a tourney the batter hits a screamer at me i think i catch it but it pops out of my glove and we turn two cause they stopped playing. Well there team gets in a up roar that i intentionally dropped the ball so we can turn 2, then the umpire tells them i couldn't tell if it was intentional or not. Could they even have called me for intentionally dropping the ball?

i could completely deal with that and probably have seen or been part of that situation more than once. If it was a line shot or one where the baseman actually had to move then I see leeway there, but this guy didn't have to move a step from where he was and just look up and put the glove up.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
I ALWAYS check the batter to make sure he trots part of the way down the line, if not I'll take the second out for free because of the hitter's laziness simple as that. It's simple, jogging down first baseline fixes the problem in the case of an intentional or non-intentional drop by the infielder.

Why do think it isn't an infield fly rule with only one runner on??? It's a LIVE BALL!

Last edited:

wcoastsoftball

:thumb:

Ugh...SBF > MLB

And it isn't like our lineup was intimidating or we had a shot to win the game. this was the first inning, but still I am not sure we have beat them in the 5 or so years i have been playing against them.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
i could completely deal with that and probably have seen or been part of that situation more than once. If it was a line shot or one where the baseman actually had to move then I see leeway there, but this guy didn't have to move a step from where he was and just look up and put the glove up.
Is this the first time you've ever seen the intentional dropped fly for a double play?
Why do think it isn't an infield fly rule with only one runner on??? It's a LIVE BALL!
Technically, an infield fly is still a live ball...

wcoastsoftball

I ALWAYS check the batter to make sure he trots part of the way down the line, if not I'll take the second out for free because of the hitter's laziness simple as that. It's simple, jogging down first baseline fixes the problem in the case of an intentional or non-intentional drop by the infielder.

Even in ultra-competitive church ball you would do that? And yes, i knew it wasn't infield fly, though I wouldn't doubt some of my teamates probably thought it was since they haven't been playing long.

wcoastsoftball

Is this the first time you've ever seen the intentional dropped fly for a double play?Technically, an infield fly is still a live ball...

You know, i am not sure I have ever seen anyone be that cheap. And definately never saw it in our laid back church league (well, laid back to every team but this one)

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Infield fly rule should have been called (depending on the outs) and if you made an attempt toward the dugout you could have been called out also. It was a douche move for slowpitch, however it happens in baseball. The bottom line is there was a lack of hustle. Second baseman should have made sure of the out and batter should have made sure of it too.

however all of this would have been avoided if you would have only hit it 525 ft like most guys on the internet :D
Agree here infield fly rule depending on outs... imo uncalled for in sp softball most decent umps would not even allow it to happen, yes could have been called out for attempt toward the dugout

Josh C Smith

Starting Player
WOW! Simple lesson to be learned here. Run everything out! They teach you that in T-Ball. All this F@#$ery wouldn't have happened if you had run it out.

I agree 100%. There are too many lazy runners in softball. Plus you never know someone might drop an easy fly ball because of Sun, wind, etc, especially in church league.

HNunnery

Extra Hitter
I personally don't think it's cheap to try turning two on that. It's your right not to hustle out the pop up, just like it's his to TRY and make two outs off of it.

I've seen this happen a few times. One time in a scenario like this and the umpire called DBO because it was obviously intentionally dropped. The other a line drive to the third baseman with no outs and runners on 1B and 2B. Third baseman knocked the ball down on purpose not trying to catch it, then tagged 3B, threw to 2B, and then to 1B. Triple play game over...

Everyone was mad at the umpire for not calling it a DBO. Nobody was mad at the third baseman. It was a smart play.

In your scenario, I don't think the trash talking or the bump at the end was necessary. You already "won" by getting a free out and runners advancing.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say 99.9% of the time I run at least 3/4 speed just to punish myself for the pop up. I want to make sure I'm slightly winded when the frustration is solidified and the out is in the book. :D

sjury

The Old Man
Infield fly, batter is out. That's why that rule exists. Douchebaggery at it's finest, he's totally in the wrong for that. You surrendered, out at first, just catch the ball and move on.

Sorry, I was going to try and catch you on this...ugh too late... joker facepalmed you.

My league plays it all wrong then. But then again, they are ASA and using a 44 ball.

Yes, they are playing it wrong. Could be something to bring to your UIC or LD. You play out there with Toad and BDClubber, I know they know the rules.

It was a smart move, but douchey at the same time. I play in some competitive leagues and still have the baby that pops up, and starts walking away and yelling at his bat, because it popped him up. Nothing says lovin' like doubling him off. If the guy at least starts to jog down the line with minimal effort you catch the ball. 0 effort means he wants the DP, 15% effort with a foot shuffling jog means he knows you can catch his can o'corn but he's making sure you do.

bigsmooth13

Manager
This weekend we played a team that has been stacking for quite a few years now. Obviously everyone guns to beat them, but it is amazing how many good softball players go to one church, lol. In other words, they were going to win.

Well anyways, I chased a bad short pitch and popped up to second baseman with a man on first. As I start walking towards dugout while ball is in air, I see 2nd deliberately drop it and try to turn two. Funny that the left side of his infield didn't realize what he was doing so he had no play a second. I start running to first and he throws it away, which moves us to second and third. While on second I proceed to tell him "nice church league play there" and nice throw. He says it was a smart play if he would have turned it. Personally I think if he would have tried that in a tournament, he would have been walking around with a bat up his behind the rest of the day. Then as we are wlking through the post game handshake, he bumps me a little harder than the others.

thoughts on this douche (he really is an idiot regardless) or was that a smart attempt?

You should have been called out since you gave up and walked towards the dugout, hence being out of the baseline

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a smart move, but douchey at the same time. I play in some competitive leagues and still have the baby that pops up, and starts walking away and yelling at his bat, because it popped him up. Nothing says lovin' like doubling him off. If the guy at least starts to jog down the line with minimal effort you catch the ball. 0 effort means he wants the DP, 15% effort with a foot shuffling jog means he knows you can catch his can o'corn but he's making sure you do.

This is the way I look at it unless the guy at first is really fat. If there's a chance they can drop the hit and throw to first first and then catch the slow guy in the run down then the batter really needs to get down the line.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I think this was all just a troll thread to out all the people that don't know the rules.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or he forgot that Lord7 is banned and wouldn't be able to tell us all why he dropped the ball.

Is this the league you play in with him?

WarHorse

Star Player
Sorry, I was going to try and catch you on this...ugh too late... joker facepalmed you.

Yes, they are playing it wrong. Could be something to bring to your UIC or LD. You play out there with Toad and BDClubber, I know they know the rules.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if half the umps don't know the rules. I sure don't. I just play by them. I've seen a couple of times infield fly called with just a runner at first. I've also seen 3 foot pitches called strikes. ****, I struck out on a 3 foot pitch one of the last games of the season waiting for blue to call it illegal.

So IF fly only if a runner is on 2? Or bases loaded up to second? I mean honestly I'm getting different answers from the internet. Some places says that its when there's a force at third. Others say a force at second to prevent the double play. Mixed feelings here.

Also, I was right from a thread before. UTRIP around here uses the 44/375 ball. Suck it nerds. :D
(I think we're bass ackwards on a few things in these parts)

Last edited:

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
run out the ball and you want have a problem. If you pull that crap on a Saturday youre going to get 2 turned on you 99% of the time.