Indian not the arrow....

Pdpwally

Coach
Finally I'll admit I'm slumping... 4-10 over 3 games in tourny ball this weekend with only 2 of those being solid line drives. I've tried soft toss with wiffle balls, TONS of cage (Teammate described cage masher) time even bp on a actual field. It just seems that when I get in the box during a game I can't just break it down to the simple "see the ball hit the ball" Any suggestions, tips, voodoo magic... anything to start hitting the ball like I really can.

Resin Glazed

The Veteran
Get out of your head. You are most likely thinking about getting a hit too much and putting more pressure on yourself than necessary. Just go out there and hit the ball.

Finally I'll admit I'm slumping... 4-10 over 3 games in tourny ball this weekend with only 2 of those being solid line drives. I've tried soft toss with wiffle balls, TONS of cage (Teammate described cage masher) time even bp on a actual field. It just seems that when I get in the box during a game I can't just break it down to the simple "see the ball hit the ball" Any suggestions, tips, voodoo magic... anything to start hitting the ball like I really can.

you play up in hagerstown or salt box?

justwhippin

Addicted to Softballfans
Stay relaxed and try to swing at good pitches. For me i try to hit everything middle helps me stay on the ball and if all that fails bang a fat chick

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Get out of your head. You are most likely thinking about getting a hit too much and putting more pressure on yourself than necessary. Just go out there and hit the ball.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

For me I only start doing poorly when I'm either putting too much pressure on myself or if I'm trying to force a hit to a certain part of the field. I've learned though that if I just go up there and don't think about anything but how many outs there are then I do much better. I have a tendency to force the ball backside which gets me in trouble but when I'm not thinking about it I normally can hit opposite field with ease. Just relax and don't think about anything but swinging hard.

wagon487

2016 Vegas Champs 60 Major
The one time I was in a slump, I just started pulling everything, attacking the ball, swinging hard, not worrying about where the ball was going.... timing came back in no time.......

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
slap yourself in the nuts while on deck. guarantee you won't be thinking about your hitting afterwards

zuke 37

Star Player
GET OUT OF THE CAGE....your timing will come back, but only against live pitching.

TRY THIS: when the pitcher's front foot hits the ground, count to 2 before you even start your swing, it will be a minor adjustment from there

keep us posted

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
GET OUT OF THE CAGE....your timing will come back, but only against live pitching.

TRY THIS: when the pitcher's front foot hits the ground, count to 2 before you even start your swing, it will be a minor adjustment from there

keep us posted

When I pitch my feet dont leave the ground. As a pitcher I like this advice.

jonah35

Addicted to Softballfans
Even though it is, the Indian and not the arrow, sometimes I convence myself it is the arrow, and not me. I will put down my usual gamer and pick up a buddies bat. I don't know why, but it usually works to go back to our team's SRV5. I know that's not a fix, but it's something that really works for me.

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Just go up and swing! Don't play with a warm up bat, or take practice swings.

Just go up with any bat step in the box and swing as hard as you can. Get angry and swing with bad intentions. Forget where the fielders are don't even look at them.

Also add a balanced bat to your bag. Will help speed your hands up.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
slap yourself in the nuts while on deck. guarantee you won't be thinking about your hitting afterwards

This works best if you can have teammates join in... never know who's gonna getchya! You'll be more concerned about protecting your nuts that you won't worry about hitting.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Whenever I start not hitting as well as I should I take a few days off...maybe even a week or so from any kind of BP. Sometimes hitting to much hurts you. Gives your body sometime to recoup in the process.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Get somebody to record your at bats and figure out what you're doing wrong. Of course, you should never rule out the possibility that you might just suck.

Pdpwally

Coach
Get somebody to record your at bats and figure out what you're doing wrong. Of course, you should never rule out the possibility that you might just suck.

going into the tourney i was batting about .600 and in all honestly i went 4-10 so im not terrible but i could always be better

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I was going to say that it maybe just you're hitting the ball right at the defense but you say only 2 of them were solid line drives. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. I've been popping up more too lately. I was thinking about swinging my heavier bat next game and maybe having a few drinks beforehand to loosen up. People probably think I'm crazy for saying this but maybe swing at the first pitch. IMO, the first pitch and when the count is full is usually the times I'll see the best pitch because I think the pitcher is trying to stay ahead in the count on the first pitch and trying not to walk you on the full count. If you're swinging at junk just because it's close, that could contribute to bad hits. Another thing I was going to try to do was not look downfield to see where the ball goes but the look at the ball through contact so I'm not taking my eye off the ball. Good luck to you. I'm sure that since you're a tournament player, you'll be back to helping pick up your team mates that are in slumps

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
You need to wear a garter, with the rose forward, and try breathing our of your eye lids like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands.

whitaker201

Addicted to Softballfans
Hahaha. "The rose goes in the front meat" classic quote! or you could go with the Tin Cup: take your change out of your right pocket and put it in your left pocket; tie your right shoe in a double not; put your visor on backwards; now hit the ball!