Oldest player on your team to ever hit a home run?

Krush411

Manager
You guys ever seen a 50 or 60 year old go 300 feet? (And in reg. league play, not senior leagues)

I'm in a USSSA league, have been for years and have yet to have see anybody over the age of 35 go yard.

Whats the oldest person you have seen hit a homer, give me an estimate on the age range.

Redman

Used to play with a guy prolly mid 50s, could hit the ball as far if not farther than the top 5 guys in league. Would always go 1/4 with a monster home run. Used to be a professional athlete of some kind though. (Lifting or football can't remember which).

Sweet question but see it quite a bit these days during league

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
There are several here I play with a guy that use to be a pro baseball player and he can hit a hotdot 350 with ease he is in his mid 50's .

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
mid 50's on our church team. of course he was a former DB for the steelers in the mid 70's so i wasn't surprised.

6x7

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a 40 and over asa league with 44/375's no senior sticks straight asa bats,we hit hrs all most every game.No ex big league guys just regular joes that have been playing slowpitch for 20+ years.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Plenty of guys that play here 50/50+ that can go yard from time to time although obviously we are older,well seasoned and are very much situational hitters, we leave most of the banging to the young pups on the team.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Used to play on a team with a guy that was in his early 60's, he'd go yard about every other game. Of course, this was when OG Freaks were legal. Another guy I played with recently, in his upper 50's, would go yard all the time, used to play on Sonny's (out of Casper WY) over 50 team.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I know you said no Senior Leagues but the oldest is 71 and he hit off me. I would guess 350-360' with Tattoo 52/300 softball and a Miken Triad3.

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
guy in league ......... 55.... hits 4th...... one of those players where all infielders are two or three steps onto the OF grass.

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say more of the homerun hitters around here are over 35 than under. But we have a guy that is 61 and he hits it out all the time with asa bats. But he is in great shape from his work.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
37 years old here and have that warning track power. I hit one out last year but it was cold outside and classic M.

We've got a late 40's bro on our tourney squad that can mash. He can consistently hit bombs playing open u-trip tourneys. Probably the new DC-41 he's picked up. Lol!

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys ever seen a 50 or 60 year old go 300 feet? (And in reg. league play, not senior leagues)

I'm in a USSSA league, have been for years and have yet to have see anybody over the age of 35 go yard.

Whats the oldest person you have seen hit a homer, give me an estimate on the age range.

Yes I have seen this.
The oldest player to hit a hr with my current teams..............is me. I play with a bunch of youngins I guess

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
OP out of curiosity how old are you?

I've seen lots and lots of guys in their 50's and beyond put them out. Oldest was in our league, not on my team. He was hovering around 70. Walk off grandslam.

There was a guy in the Huff-n-Puffers in his 70's that consistently put it into or one hopped the fence. His teammates said he put a couple over during the season.

The director of GSL had a 35 and over team that would stack up well against most mid-level tourney teams.

The Major level always has a layer of guys on the back end that are still putting it as far as the kids.

Krush411

Manager
OP out of curiosity how old are you?

I've seen lots and lots of guys in their 50's and beyond put them out. Oldest was in our league, not on my team. He was hovering around 70. Walk off grandslam.

There was a guy in the Huff-n-Puffers in his 70's that consistently put it into or one hopped the fence. His teammates said he put a couple over during the season.

The director of GSL had a 35 and over team that would stack up well against most mid-level tourney teams.

The Major level always has a layer of guys on the back end that are still putting it as far as the kids.

I'm 30. All the older guys I've played with can hit singles but it's odd how they love cheap metal bats.

We got Miken Psycho Supermax and LS composite bats on deck and they never grab those, they always choose a 20 dollar Easton hammer or cyclone instead.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I'm the second oldest guy on my team at 37, but I'm the oldest to go over 300' with an Easton Stealth SCN17BH and a .44/375 Thunder Heat.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Over 35 can't hit a HR?! I'm 36 and better at hitting HR's now than ever, I'm also swinging easier than ever. Being a consistent HR hitter on 300' and smaller fields has more to do with timing and quality of contact than power. If an old guy can't hit it out it's cause his swing is crappy or he has a mobility/vision impairment.

An inside the park HR would be a different story, last time I got one was < 35 and 40lbs ago and something has to line up just right to make that happen anyway. Doubt I have another one of those in the future of my illustrious amateur E-ball career.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus
My pop plays 70 yr old tournament ball and he hits a few 300+ still. He's in awesome shape and works out daily. You'd be surprised how many guys 60+ can mash way better than young kids.

Flaming Penguin

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the reason you don't see a lot of older guys hitting home runs is because they're smarter than us young folks. Haha They let us try to crush the ball all the time. But my dad is 58 and can still hit it out pretty easily with my psycho. Then laughs about how they used to use "real" bats back when he was young.

Reactions: #25

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I'm 30. All the older guys I've played with can hit singles but it's odd how they love cheap metal bats.

We got Miken Psycho Supermax and LS composite bats on deck and they never grab those, they always choose a 20 dollar Easton hammer or cyclone instead.

You're a few years away from your peak yet. Mid 30's to early 40's is when you haven't really started to lose muscle mass but pretty much have the swing figured out. Or at least that's the theory.

chrometip is dead on. I don't need to add anything. Uh, cause he's dead on.

I'm not going to insult you and say your league sucks, but it's probably rec league or a little above if guys are using bats like that. HOWEVER, even those older guys are showing wisdom. When they make outs, how is it generally? Something floats to the outfield or they hit a grounder right at someone? A composite or even good metal bat isn't necessarily going to get a ball by a fielder they hit it right at. BUT a better bat can often make a liner that would have dropped in carry just enough to float right to an OF'er. Those guys know the other bats are better. That's why they don't use them.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
I'm 45 and can go 300 easily with an ASA bat. To answer your question, that almost always is me.

Last edited: