.52 balls- Have they made you a better hitter?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I get what FJ is saying, the 52 is less rewarding to hit from a fun aspect, you don't get the rewarding feedback of feeling the ball on the bat and the sound from a well hit ball. For me the feedback is very different on contact, sometimes I feel like I crushed them and they don't carry as far while other times it feels like I missed and they carry much further than expected. I know that's a function of my contact on the ball and how I spun it rather than a function of the ball, not really a big deal. I'll still take the safety and reduced advantage of cheater sticks.

Most of the time we're above mid 80's here and every league tourney gets the absolute cheapest ball they can find so a 52cor ball really isn't a big deal, might actually be a benefit if the 52cor SY's didn't go to crap after 5 hits....

THESHOE

Starting Player
That's what I have noticed too.

NSA here ditched the Demarini 52's which I am very glad they did.

NSA Canada new official ball is a Louisville now. Hearing it is a much better ball.

The Demarinis would be done for after a few innings, and often yet still being gamed 2-3 games later.

Hot Dots stand up well but are pricey.

The Trump Stotes 52/275 stand up well until they are kept in extreme heat and are just a marshmallow. But they are durable and cheaper for leagues to buy.

I get what FJ is saying, the 52 is less rewarding to hit from a fun aspect, you don't get the rewarding feedback of feeling the ball on the bat and the sound from a well hit ball. For me the feedback is very different on contact, sometimes I feel like I crushed them and they don't carry as far while other times it feels like I missed and they carry much further than expected. I know that's a function of my contact on the ball and how I spun it rather than a function of the ball, not really a big deal. I'll still take the safety and reduced advantage of cheater sticks.

Most of the time we're above mid 80's here and every league tourney gets the absolute cheapest ball they can find so a 52cor ball really isn't a big deal, might actually be a benefit if the 52cor SY's didn't go to crap after 5 hits....

Probably why Fat Jesus hates them so much...

Reducing the impact of shavers in league ball is the main benefit of 52s IMO.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
How are the balls I sent you holding up?

Oh, I've long since destroyed all those. I do have a bunch of Tattoo ASA .52s and C+s in the bucket now though. The leagues and TDs around here use them now.

The ASA .44 375s with composite covers you sent were some great balls. I still have some of them around.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I like the 52.

Makes the game a real game now.

A pure hitter still mashed them out, but gone are the BS goners from weak pop ups and poor contact leaking out from hitting composite bats and stadium balls in small rec league parks.

I prefer the 52. The sluggers are sluggers, and the slap hitters are nothing but. No more weak hitters popping up a ball out of a small park in rec league. Gotta earn it now with clean hits.

Now plays are being made to score and defend. Which is the point of the game.

But I guess all the sleeve wearing dbags can't hit out the Hot Dots out and can't use their brain to score runs hitting for average, so :crying:

I still play in a Grey Dot league, and frankly, it isn't as fun of a game as everyone gets hits even on poor contact with those and the modern Utrip bats.

I agree with every word of this. Defense is relevant again. Guys aren't hitting .52s so hard through the infield that infielders can't even move on them. The game was stupid before with rock balls and hot bats. Suddenly everyone and their brother was a power threat. Not anymore. All the guys around here who are legit HR hitters still go yard regularly with .52s. The pretenders are stuck with warning track power now. I would much rather hit a C+ than a classic M any day of the week.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Many will hate me when I say it, but it saved the integrity and purpose of the sport with the 52. You hit the nail on the head with your comment on my words. It made it a game again instead of what was quickly becoming just a driving range with dudes randomly shagging base hits all day with almost no chance at the rec or E levels and the smaller diamonds especially.

Now warning tracking power only is a thing again. And you are absolutely right in that while it does take odd bounces, you can actually field balls and make plays.

I play 1B, and I actually manage to have a lot of chances against Lefties especially now who hit a liner in our gap.

With the harder Gold Dot kind of ball, it was coming off bats so hard and fast, it was just automatic singles. And if high in the air (including myself) many went out on poor hitting contact. Infield just had no time to react to it in the small diamonds.

The 52 was to counter the cheated bats and advanced tech that was now threatening the sport. Not the fun hitting derby life, but the actual sport and game.

Golf could stand to learn A LOT by regulating the balls the same way now to prevent continuous yardage gains and basically rendering courses almost obsolete for tournament golf.

I agree with every word of this. Defense is relevant again. Guys aren't hitting .52s so hard through the infield that infielders can't even move on them. The game was stupid before with rock balls and hot bats. Suddenly everyone and their brother was a power threat. Not anymore. All the guys around here who are legit HR hitters still go yard regularly with .52s. The pretenders are stuck with warning track power now. I would much rather hit a C+ than a classic M any day of the week.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
They have not made me a better hitter..........All they have done is keep me from hitting those really, jaw dropping, "Ooooooh........" and "Aaaahhhhh" types of homers. I still get me home runs, but nothing too impressive anymore.

BigSmelly23

Banned User
I've noticed the 52 big sharks and trumps are really good. but depending on the batch of deckers will determine how they hold up, cover wise. But haven't noticed much changed in performance.

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't noticed any change in my approach or swing when hitting 52s. I approach it the same as I do when I hit 44s.

tattooball

When I started developing this ball back in 2005 it wasn't about the cheating. I was working on a ball that was safer when impacting a hard structure like bone, and still making a ball that would not make 300 ft fences obsolete.

The more I tested the ball both in labs and on the field I found out that it was less temperature resistant to heat and also did not come off shaved bats as fast as others in comparison. Just bonuses of the development. Now they will fly farther off shaved bats but only 1.7 mph faster than stock bats at max. Compared to 13+ mph with .44 balls and shaved bats.

The first tourney these were used was the Fireman's MD tourney in Maryland, we had representatives from ASA including the president there watching the games. Game scores were in the mid teens on average, homerun hitters still hit them. Infielders were covered in dirt from diving and making plays, and some guys were really humbled. After the first day of play we met in the hotel for a discussion. By the end of the weekend they were approved for play on a test level. 2009 ASA and USSSA approved them for play after all their testing was complete. 11/24/10 the new ASA stamp was issued for all manufactures.

June 2015 a new design of this ball will be released that will change all opinions of this ball. Stayed tuned.

Last edited:

nkva

Addicted to Softballfans
When I started developing this ball back in 2005 it wasn't about the cheating. I was working on a ball that was safer when impacting a hard structure like bone, and still making a ball that would not make 300 ft fences obsolete.

The more I tested the ball both in labs and on the field I found out that it was less temperature resistant to heat and also did not come off shaved bats as fast as others in comparison. Just bonuses of the development. Now they will fly farther off shaved bats but only 1.7 mph faster than stock bats at max. Compared to 13+ mph with .44 balls and shaved bats.

The first tourney these were used was the Fireman's MD tourney in Maryland, we had representatives from ASA including the president there watching the games. Game scores were in the mid teens on average, homerun hitters still hit them. Infielders were covered in dirt from diving and making plays, and some guys were really humbled. After the first day of play we met in the hotel for a discussion. By the end of the weekend they were approved for play on a test level. 2009 ASA and USSSA approved them for play after all their testing was complete. 11/24/10 the new ASA stamp was issued for all manufactures.

June 2015 a new design of this ball will be released that will change all opinions of this ball. Stayed tuned.

Our league mandates using the Evil 52/300, and we have to buy them from the league. Tuesday night I noticed the ball felt even softer than usual. I had a chance to check out the ball we were hitting after someone fouled it out of play, the ball felt like it was wrapped with over 1'4" of foam. I don't recall any softball that felt that incredibly "soft". These balls don't seem to hold up over the course of two games. *Sample size is still small.

At sea level on 315 and 325' fences, this ball really is a game changer. We also play with the pitcher back a minimum of 3 feet further back (can pitch from up to 6' behind the rubber) and our bases are 10' further back than ASA regulation. So, we are seeing many more runners forced at 2nd and 3rd from the OF.

The "good news" is that the occasional slap nuts who happens to cut one and get it past the OF (who are playing in more than ever) gets to run around the bases due to our fences being back. (Sarcasm intended).

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I couldn't care less. Wisconsin is stuck in the '70s thinking bell bottoms and unlimited arc are cool. Even in UA they're not bad, if anything my HR numbers are up.

I'd like to see the couple worthwhile UA tournaments here switch to them. Looking at you, Waunafest. The ego crushing would be hilarious, and anyone who's ever played there knows exactly who I'm talking about.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've seen a few crushed egos with these balls. Funny to see a guy who thinks he's a good hitter start flying out to the warning track consistently and wonder why.

One thing about hitting the .52 ball that's different than hitting a .44 is that it actually takes skill and effort.

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
My perspective on the 52's is it has become more about the hitter and less about the bat.

Good hitters can still hit a 52 nearly as far, bat hitters and people that relied on the bat or an altered bat will see the most difference. There isn't the same difference as there is with the hard balls..

Biggest difference is the weight of the ball for me, I have a terrible arm and the weight of the hot dot makes it easier to throw

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
My perspective on the 52's is it has become more about the hitter and less about the bat.

Good hitters can still hit a 52 nearly as far, bat hitters and people that relied on the bat or an altered bat will see the most difference. There isn't the same difference as there is with the hard balls..

Biggest difference is the weight of the ball for me, I have a terrible arm and the weight of the hot dot makes it easier to throw

I agree with every word of this. The bat used is less important with these .52 balls than it was before with .44s. I also agree they're easier to throw and feel much lighter in your hand.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

So, they're going to make an even ****tier version of this ball and force it on us too?? Great..........Good thing I'm broken old man. I'd be pissed if I was just starting out in this game and was subjected to how ****ty you all have made it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our league mandates using the Evil 52/300, and we have to buy them from the league. Tuesday night I noticed the ball felt even softer than usual. I had a chance to check out the ball we were hitting after someone fouled it out of play, the ball felt like it was wrapped with over 1'4" of foam. I don't recall any softball that felt that incredibly "soft". These balls don't seem to hold up over the course of two games. *Sample size is still small.

At sea level on 315 and 325' fences, this ball really is a game changer. We also play with the pitcher back a minimum of 3 feet further back (can pitch from up to 6' behind the rubber) and our bases are 10' further back than ASA regulation. So, we are seeing many more runners forced at 2nd and 3rd from the OF.

The "good news" is that the occasional slap nuts who happens to cut one and get it past the OF (who are playing in more than ever) gets to run around the bases due to our fences being back. (Sarcasm intended).

I assume you mean1/4" of foam, and not one foot four inches.

With all due respect, you're leaving something out. I have hit a 52 out with a DVS1 in a swamp in south GA, so either you play with a bunch of composite queens, or a bunch of fat guys that forgot how to run the bases during the 44 cor era.

These guys that are getting forced out at 2nd and 3rd, are they really slow? Are you talking about bloops where they forget to go half way? If these are ground balls cleanly through the holes, then your guys are horrible. Either you're exaggerating or your team's baserunning is horrible.

The whole sea level argument works against you. Classic M's would be horrible in the heat at sea level.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I still like hitting harder balls. Sue me, call it what you will, but hitting harder ones is fun whether it is bp or what. Remove everything else from the equation including for game purposes and what not. The old dog don't like new tricks, but I still want to play so I will play with whatever.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I feel about these ****ty balls we're forced to play with, the same way I do about seat belt laws....................They're deciding for me that I'm too stupid to understand the risk I take when I walk on the field to play defense, so they need to look out for me....That because they are smart and I'm dumb, they need to control the situation for me. Rather than me acknowledging that there is an inherent risk and deciding if I want to take it or not. I hate that not only do they control just about every aspect of bat manufacturing, but now, not only do they have us swinging worse bats than were 8 years ago, but we're also hitting ****tier balls. What's next? Broom sticks and wiffle balls to protect me from my own decision to play? As bad as the US Government in their desire to make rules to save me from me.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Swing the .52 is not for guys like you so much as it is for shaky first basemen who have to field against guys like you.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans

I totally agree on this. However, subbing for a friends team on Friday, I was fielding first and keep hearing from oppositions dugout how they are all excited about the new ball, so they can take an extra ounce of their bat or two. Cheaters still gonna cheat, they will just get more aggressive than ever now...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Swing the .52 is not for guys like you so much as it is for shaky first basemen who have to field against guys like you.

I feel like if you want to play lower division ball..........You want to slap, dork and **** balls into the outfield...........You want to hit 3 home runs and feel safe with a ****ty ball??? Then, .52 is the one you want to hit. If you want to do more, then we should be allowed to use more. It's not brain science, it's competition. Let people have options.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
We need to start promoting and expanding the outlaw leagues but we can call them expat leagues. We will buy cheap old bats that nobody wants and get so good balls and just have a blast. I love purity, but sometimes purity is the beginning of the end. It is the last chance for some of us, let's not be pigeon-holed.

tattooball

Totally new design, NX3 is the ball. Sorry to swing I guess your ego has gotten bruised. Maybe you just weren't the player you thought you were.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still like hitting harder balls. Sue me, call it what you will, but hitting harder ones is fun whether it is bp or what. Remove everything else from the equation including for game purposes and what not. The old dog don't like new tricks, but I still want to play so I will play with whatever.

I like the sound and the feel too, but when it's hot out the Classic M sucks. It's not hard and it sounds just like a 52 almost.

The 44/400 hasn't been legal in UTrip since what, 2008? 2009? ASA changed 2 years ago, and people didn't want to play ASA because their bats weren't as hot. People just can't be satisfied.

We still had plenty of charity/open tournaments in So GA that either used 44/375s or any 44s.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
IMO, the .52 ball has brought the game back to how it was in the late '90s when I started playing. Guys with legit power could hit HRs, but other guys couldn't. I'm talking singlewall and doublewall aluminum bats and .47 or .44 525 compression balls.

Infielders could make plays. Balls weren't being hit at them so fast they couldn't react.

I do realize though that not all .52 balls are created equal. I've hit some very good ones, and I've also hit some horrible ones that won't go anywhere no matter how well you hit them. The problem is, leagues around here will use balls until they're utterly destroyed. The key with .52s is knowing when they're done. They do die.