Pitching Helmets

Country469

Right......... and my point the whole time is this. I'd rather have a mask I know has been tested to take a lacrosse ball at 70 mph than something else that is held to no standard.

AntonChigurh

To be fair, a video should be posted of the long bombers tour hitting a softball 500+ feet, both are exhibitions not game play.

AntonChigurh

Right......... and my point the whole time is this. I'd rather have a mask I know has been tested to take a lacrosse ball at 70 mph than something else that is held to no standard.
I’m not arguing. I’d rather have someone wearing any mask over nothing. For their sake and mine.

Country469

Average lacrosse player aint touching 100, I really feel like that kvander guy just isnt around lacrosse enough, but 90% of the country isn't so thats pretty fair. Average softball player is also never touching exit speeds greater than 100. Long Haul Bomber tour is purposely juiced equip for entertainment.

a 52 cor softball is a pillow compared to a lacrosse ball at 70 mph

AntonChigurh

From a ball that weighs 5 oz, has a COR of .6-.7, and compresses 25% under 200 lbs of pressure. Literally a larger rubber ball.
No one wants to get hit by either. I was hit in the back by a lacrosse ball just under my pads. You could read Brine backwards for about a week.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Average lacrosse player aint touching 100, I really feel like that kvander guy just isnt around lacrosse enough, but 90% of the country isn't so thats pretty fair.

Lol, ok. For the record, I'm in a different country.

If its comfortable and you can see, its always gonna be safer. Wear something and encourage your league/director to only use 52s.

On these points we agree completely.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Average lacrosse player aint touching 100, I really feel like that kvander guy just isnt around lacrosse enough, but 90% of the country isn't so thats pretty fair. Average softball player is also never touching exit speeds greater than 100. Long Haul Bomber tour is purposely juiced equip for entertainment.

a 52 cor softball is a pillow compared to a lacrosse ball at 70 mph
If you're talking about a52, yes, but I'm not signing off on a classic m doing less damage than a lacrosse ball. If they're 60 70 or 80 Cor versus 40 I think they'll deform enough to more than offset their density. I think they'll have a larger point of impact too.

I wear a baseball catchers helmet because I see catchers hit all the time by foul balls, and they just put the mask back straight and keep going.

Country469

A baseball catchers mask is also tested and held to a performance standard. Which is what I'm advocating mask wise, use something that you know is at least tested to some kind of impact. Those plastic kids football helmets for halloween are helmets, but they don't do anything either.

I wouldn't get too caught up on cor as they are made of completely different materials, what is compression #s on a rock hard rubber ball? Larger point of impact is going to spread out the force of the impact more too. We're gonna have to realize that getting hit with anything at high rates of speed is dangerous. A marsh-mellow can kill you if speed and placement is at the right area. Would be a decent test, but I'd put my money on a lacrosse ball doing far more damage than a classic M at 70 mph.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, but I'm saying the lacrosse ball will deform and spread out the impact force lessening it. Would be curious to know.

AntonChigurh

If you're talking about a52, yes, but I'm not signing off on a classic m doing less damage than a lacrosse ball. If they're 60 70 or 80 Cor versus 40 I think they'll deform enough to more than offset their density. I think they'll have a larger point of impact too.

I wear a baseball catchers helmet because I see catchers hit all the time by foul balls, and they just put the mask back straight and keep going.
I’d agree on the helmet selection. Catchers masks are designed to take those foul balls, etc. Lacrosse is more protection from sticks. It would be really rare to take a shot to the mask as a non goalie in LAX. But to each their own. Lacrosse helmet is gonna be lighter and cooler.

Like everything in life it’s a matter of trade offs.

Country469

Right, but I'm saying the lacrosse ball will deform and spread out the impact force lessening it. Would be curious to know.

IDK, man. Personal experience with them tells me, no. But I'm not exactly smart either. Buggs may know but his ass is in FL on vaca.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
This is true. Against your thigh, maybe the smaller ball with hurt more, but against something more rigid like your helmet or face, it will be much less damaging to be hit with the lacrosse ball.

blakcherry329

we're nitpicking here. Any helmet you wear is round, so whatever ball that hits will be a, somewhat, glancing blow because both surfaces are round. So the impact will not be as bad as like hitting a wall. Just wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing and keep your glove up. stay safe out there.

Dogue

Evil Genius
This and some shin guards and you'll be set.

teaserbox_942061740.jpg

Chadt1313

Weight is also a big factor, two objects traveling at the same velocity but one being heavier then the other the heavier one will do more damage.distance from point of impact is also a factor.if said ball is traveling at 100 mph at second base its going faster at the pitchers mound

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
So 2 guys hit in the face yesterday by bad bounces on a hard field using Hot Dots.

Guy with a Rip It mask playing MI ended up with a cut across the bridge of the nose. Ended his day due to excessive blood, but initial reports are no other damage. Lucky he was wearing a mask!!! Saw too many guys not wearing one and a ton of guys hit with bad bounces, but luckily not in the face.

Other guy pitching wearing a lacrosse helmet. Ball stayed down until it got there then came up hitting the top of the helmet, deflecting into foul territory in front of 3B. No damage other than a scuff mark. A Rip It or similar type of mask would not have protected the area that was struck. Who knows what kind of injury it might have caused without a helmet.

One other pitcher hit in the helmet with a thrown ball from 3B. He went down, but after a couple of minutes was able to get up an continue. Helmet definitely saved him in that odd scenario. Not sure what type of helmet he was wearing though.

Moral of the story......wear some sort of protection. IMO, wear what feels most comfortable to YOU.

I started with a Game Face mask in 2009 - hated it but stuck with it until I got comfortable. Switched to a Rip It after a couple of years and liked it better and feels weird without it. Now have a lacrosse helmet with the bars removed. Don't love it, and am concerned about how it's gonna be when it gets hot/humid, but after yesterday will probably stick with it. Initial plan was to use when colder, and go back to Rip It when hotter.