Middle Etiquette - League Play

basilray

As a pitcher, I expect to have some comebacks, especially in tournament play.

Tonight, in a low D game where were were down by a zillion, I took a lasrr off my glove-side forearm which bounced back into my bicep. Guy kept running, zero attempt to even check if I was OK. Naturally, I was not thrilled - mostly because I should have snapped it off, but the fact the guy didn't even seem to care really set me off. I dropped the F bomb, and almost got tossed. Mouthy guy from their bench says, "You're wearing a mask, it's no big deal."

No.

It is a big deal. Accident (which it likely was, I mean, lower D play) or not, if you drill a pitcher, isn't it normal to at least pretend you feel a little bad?

What the hell do you guys do/expect if you pitch or your pitch gets smoked? I don't want a teammate to retaliate, because that just means someone is likely to get seriously injured. But, what's the etiquette, written or otherwise you guys follow?

basilray

I have honestly debated trying to consciously hit middle for these situations.

But, I don't want anyone getting hurt. I really don't. If softball is going to continue to be a thing, dudes gotta' chill.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
I have honestly debated trying to consciously hit middle for these situations.

But, I don't want anyone getting hurt. I really don't. If softball is going to continue to be a thing, dudes gotta' chill.
If the other team is doing it on purpose, being nice is out of the question.

Since you’re in MN, where was this at?

basilray

Any guys from tournament teams?

Not that I noticed, but I'm not a big tourney guy. Don't imagine there's many noteworthy tourney players hitting up Lower D in Burnsville.

I haven't played any meaningful tourneys other than Victoria and Stifftungsfest this year.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Middle is a no go for me. League or tournies. I'll spray it one side or the other. Only exception is if I get a good outer half pitch and try to lift it for a CF HR. However, I'll never willingly go low up the middle.

I don't figure I have anything to prove by hitting a pitcher, or nearly hitting a pitcher.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Guy kept running, zero attempt to even check if I was OK....

...Accident (which it likely was, I mean, lower D play) or not, if you drill a pitcher, isn't it normal to at least pretend you feel a little bad?

Problem #1. If it's accidental, most guys immediately stop running to check or at least say something as they're running to first.

Mouthy guy from their bench says, "You're wearing a mask, it's no big deal."?

Problem #2, and this is a growing problem; people thinking that protective gear = open season. Masks and helmets protect your head and face, but a 90mph liner off the hand or elbow can cause guys to miss a day or two of work just as easily.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
Too many tough guys like to shoot middle.
But no one of them are man enough to get on the mound after they do it. It’s league, everyone usually has to work the next day, no need to try and hurt someone who’s just out there to have some fun.

If it’s a tournament, then middle is always open.

blakcherry329

Middle is part of the field. If you hit middle it's up to me to get a glove on it. I don't need an apology when you hit middle. It's a nice gesture and says something about the batter if they do or don't ask if I'm ok. I had a guy apologize for just hitting middle. It didn't hit me(hard hit grounder that skidded along the ground, then hopped over my glove). I told him np, middle is part of the field. It's all good.

I never get mad, even if I know it was intentional. I never let another team get to me on the mound. I wish some of my Millennial teammates could follow my lead. SMH:rolleyes::)

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
sounds like it was an accident so suck it up. you can't fault a guy that doesn't know for playing hard and running it out. some will apologize, some won't. some don't realize they did anything wrong. control your own emotions and let the world be what it will.

Redsfan

In the 90's a pitcher gets drilled he gets gets back up, dusts himself off and throws another pitch. In 2019 a pitcher gets drilled and it's WWE Royal Rumble time. I realize balls have higher exit velo's now but it still hurt back then and nobody wore protective gear. I don't aim at pitchers but if they play a 4 man IF where the middle is open, be ready.

Redsfan

The good pitchers will know when they throw a pitch in the wrong place and be ready for the incoming missle. You should be alert on all of them but some more than others. Like Country said, some of this is on the pitcher and you can't be mad when you serve up a meat ball.

D-ROCK13

Most people around here will stop running and apologize if they smoke a pitcher. There are a few guys that hit middle intentionally but its rare, and like others have said, is just part of the game. When I pitch I know middle is always a possibility and I try to always get set and be ready, no matter how much gear I wear. Pitchers all know the risk of pitching, especially now days

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
What do I expect? I expect you to expect that dudes going middle for a hit.......Don't have to give a flying **** if they hit you. Would you apologize for catching the ball if you did? So, either catch those balls......Get out of the way.....Or toughen the **** up!!

blakcherry329

What do I expect? I expect you to expect that dudes going middle for a hit.......Don't have to give a flying **** if they hit you. Would you apologize for catching the ball if you did? So, either catch those balls......Get out of the way.....Or toughen the **** up!!
LOL Geez.
lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

oppotaco13

I don't care if people hit middle on me. I'm ready for it and am always prepared for it. Not to say I make every play or anything. I also don't care if they say anything, especially if I catch it.

Also not a fan of middle shooting battles. The teams I play on know that at this point, so it's not an issue.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats funny ass s**t, cuz life is all about getting a hit in slowpitch softball at whatever cost.. lol

basilray

Where was the pitch location? The count?

If you cut someone flat, low, and away, its on you as a pitcher more than anyone else.

I believe it was 2-1, ball down the middle of the plate, on the low side in a game where the opposition was up by 14 heading into the top of the 5th.

If you get mad about middle shots, you don't have the right mindset for pitching, imo.

K

Most people around here will stop running and apologize if they smoke a pitcher. There are a few guys that hit middle intentionally but its rare, and like others have said, is just part of the game. When I pitch I know middle is always a possibility and I try to always get set and be ready, no matter how much gear I wear. Pitchers all know the risk of pitching, especially now days

Agreed. I get the risk, assume the risk, and ultimately, I'm not as upset that it happened as I am of the circumstances and the reaction of both the batter and umpire. When a batter smokes a pitcher, intentionally or otherwise, in a meaningless league game, it sure seems like there should be some amount of etiquette involved. When the batter's team jaws after because "Bruh, you're wearing a mask!", it's just poor form. When an ump is more concerned about a guy cursing than whether or not a player might actually be hurt, it's really no wonder that leagues struggle to keep running.

You're so ****ing tough, dude. We're all impressed.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I think a lot of people don't know better especially in lower level ball. They're just playing it like a baseball game.

My wife was pitching in a super-rec coed game and some dude hit a shot at her, she knocked it down and threw him out but he put his head down and ran his ass off. She got him by half a step and he jogged back to the dugout and never said a word.

Someone on their team apologized for him but he had no idea why. He apologized in the high-five line after the game and said my bad I didn't realize I almost hit you.

That said, the comment about you wearing a mask is stupid but telling him to f'off seemed to prompt it. I personally hate when dudes apologize because is usually means I didn't field it.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I You're so ****ing tough, dude. We're all impressed.

What's the problem? You choose to ****ing stand there, closest one to the hitter and lob him a ball at 3MPH......So he can swing from his ass and see how far he can hit it......If you can't rationalize that you make this choice and that he's hitting the ball where you're pitching it......You should just golf.

basilray

I think a lot of people don't know better especially in lower level ball. They're just playing it like a baseball game.

My wife was pitching in a super-rec coed game and some dude hit a shot at her, she knocked it down and threw him out but he put his head down and ran his ass off. She got him by half a step and he jogged back to the dugout and never said a word.

Someone on their team apologized for him but he had no idea why. He apologized in the high-five line after the game and said my bad I didn't realize I almost hit you.

That said, the comment about you wearing a mask is stupid but telling him to f'off seemed to prompt it. I personally hate when dudes apologize because is usually means I didn't field it.

Accidents happen, I get it. Maybe he didn't intend to, maybe he didn't realize it. Even so, my basic premise remains: A little bit of remorse goes a long way. That's all I'm really suggesting.

What's the problem? You choose to ****ing stand there, closest one to the hitter and lob him a ball at 3MPH......So he can swing from his ass and see how far he can hit it......If you can't rationalize that you make this choice and that he's hitting the ball where you're pitching it......You should just golf.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't start by saying I expect to get hit at or anything.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Yeah, I mean, I didn't start by saying I expect to get hit at or anything.

The point is.......You should expect to get hit all the time. Not just tourney play. You're the closest and most vulnerable one to them on the entire field. I expect to get hit when I pitch bp. I throw a ball that starts to float back over the middle of the plate or outside......I duck behind the net. I know that hitter has an excellent chance of pushing that middle one right back up the box, or jerking the outside one back through the box. It happens more with less experienced hitters or lower level hitters. If you're a pitcher (I'm an outfielder), you know this too right?

Redsfan

The key thing is we need to teach these new players softball etiquette and teach them how to actually play the game. Unfortunately we need them to keep this sport going or we won't have anyone to play against.

blakcherry329

When the batter's team jaws after because "Bruh, you're wearing a mask!", it's just poor form. When an ump is more concerned about a guy cursing than whether or not a player might actually be hurt
Ok, at this point your response was warranted and the umpire is an idiot. I've never had a team talk **** after i've been hit or nearly hit, ever.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
Middle in league is a douchey thing to do. If it’s an accident, then fine, but on purpose is dumb. You can say a pitcher should be ready all you want, doesn’t change the fact that trying to blow up a pitcher during a league game is an incredibly douchey thing to do.