Minnesota Thread

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Can you tell me the distance or the general rule of thumb on how far back a ball can land behind the plate for it to be a strike. I started our (JEC) game against Nightmare the game before we played chanticlear. I swear if the ball wasnt landing right behind the plate and i mean right behind it, it was not being called a strike and forget about height, that wasnt called much either. Just wanted some clarification on that, because it seemed alot tighter this weekend then anytime i ever pitched in the conference, yet when we were over at Evergreen playing Saturday morning the strike zone was massive against the team from Alaska. Overall good fun tourney, wish we could have played a bit better against Xtreme, score 9 in the first and 7 in the second was a great start, but then we egged in the third and i ended up giving up the walk off homer to Stewart for the run rule in the 6th. Again another pitch was about 9th feet high, right behind the plate, called a ball, of course the next one i had to groove ended up over the fence.
There isn't any real rule of thumb about how far back a ball can land. What I look at, what everyone I talk to that does Conference somewhat regularly has told me, is where it is when it gets to the plate. If you get a pitch that comes up three from release, comes across the top of the zone it could land quite a ways back. If you get it up near 10' it's got to land pretty short. I give a heavier strike than a lot of guys but I don't give that one that just sneaks over the plate if it's not a ways up. My partner for the weekend, has a much lighter zone. I think you saw that in two games of yours we had.

One thing that was pretty remarkable this weekend. Every umpire out there this weekend started and came up umpiring USSSA in MN. I was the only out of state guy and I grew up in Minneapolis. I've never heard of that happening anywhere else.

How was that team from Alaska? I didn't get a chance to see them play at all, but I think it was cool that they came down to play.

wildthing81

There isn't any real rule of thumb about how far back a ball can land. What I look at, what everyone I talk to that does Conference somewhat regularly has told me, is where it is when it gets to the plate. If you get a pitch that comes up three from release, comes across the top of the zone it could land quite a ways back. If you get it up near 10' it's got to land pretty short. I give a heavier strike than a lot of guys but I don't give that one that just sneaks over the plate if it's not a ways up. My partner for the weekend, has a much lighter zone. I think you saw that in two games of yours we had.

One thing that was pretty remarkable this weekend. Every umpire out there this weekend started and came up umpiring USSSA in MN. I was the only out of state guy and I grew up in Minneapolis. I've never heard of that happening anywhere else.

How was that team from Alaska? I didn't get a chance to see them play at all, but I think it was cool that they came down to play.

Thanks for the information and incite, I throw alot in my backyard and like to make adjustments over the week before the next weekend, this information is helpful especially since i've been out of the Conference for a few years. The team from Alaska was really made up of guys all over the country that mostly play the BSC. They were really cool guys and we watched them walk off T'13 with a game winning 3 run homer. We jumped on them and really didnt let them off the mat while run ruling them.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the information and incite, I throw alot in my backyard and like to make adjustments over the week before the next weekend, this information is helpful especially since i've been out of the Conference for a few years. The team from Alaska was really made up of guys all over the country that mostly play the BSC. They were really cool guys and we watched them walk off T'13 with a game winning 3 run homer. We jumped on them and really didnt let them off the mat while run ruling them.
The Conference is trying to get away from the flat and fast that it used to be. And it is a lot closer to the league strike zone than it was even when I started in 2017. You saw some of those pitches Geno tried to get away with, 5 years ago he probably would have gotten a few of them.

Beauner

Starting Player
The Conference is trying to get away from the flat and fast that it used to be. And it is a lot closer to the league strike zone than it was even when I started in 2017. You saw some of those pitches Geno tried to get away with, 5 years ago he probably would have gotten a few of them.
When I was watching Will's team (Primetime) against Comatose, I was SHOCKED by how many hitters on Primetime were trying to swing at pitches that never got more than a foot of hump. Even in the 7th inning of a tie game with one out and a runner on second, the lefty for Primetime swung at a fastball on a 1-0 count when it was clear the Comatose pitcher had zero intention of giving him anything to hit and was trying to get him to swing at garbage to get an easy out. He took the next super flat pitch and then watched ball 4 land a foot short. But I was shocked he even offered at the second pitch (he fouled it off the backstop).

Comatose pitcher did a great job changing up heights and speeds and keeping Primetime off balance and getting them to swing at garbage.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Standings! The winner was easy for the Dudley. The rest was a little trickier. Nobody got points from Mankato. Two got local points for the Dudley.

Spud Fest D, Kaposia (if we get a bracket), mcquades Burnsville and Conference this week.

Weekly Standings:
Chembry - 10
Beauner - 10
mnballer - 10 ( tourney winner points)
Bell - 5
thelastsamurai - 5
Maximus - 5
Yoke - 5

Season Standings (and weeks won):
Chembry (McPete's) - 90 (4)
Maximus (Longhorns) - 88 (6)
thelastsamurai - 83 (2)
Bell (Silverbacks) - 78 (1)
Beauner (Swing Nation) - 82 (3)
mnballer (Dewey’s) - 79 (4)
Yoke (McPete's) - 74 (3)
TS (Longhorns) - 16

Rules: http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/minnesota-thread.1428975/page-136#post-18983602

Last edited:

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
When I was watching Will's team (Primetime) against Comatose, I was SHOCKED by how many hitters on Primetime were trying to swing at pitches that never got more than a foot of hump. Even in the 7th inning of a tie game with one out and a runner on second, the lefty for Primetime swung at a fastball on a 1-0 count when it was clear the Comatose pitcher had zero intention of giving him anything to hit and was trying to get him to swing at garbage to get an easy out. He took the next super flat pitch and then watched ball 4 land a foot short. But I was shocked he even offered at the second pitch (he fouled it off the backstop).

Comatose pitcher did a great job changing up heights and speeds and keeping Primetime off balance and getting them to swing at garbage.
There are quite a few guys that like to hit that flat fast pitch. I had a catcher in one of my games tell me that he thinks it's easier for him to hit because he's only a couple years removed from baseball, he said when he sees it he knows right away where it's going to be. Both pitchers in the Chanticlear-JEC game, if they got a strike on the first pitch, the second was going to be flat. Travis Clark from Resmondo will tell you before the game not to call a strike on even a borderline flat pitch he throws.

Watch Tommy Baugh from Baugh Ford, he usually does a really good job of mixing heights.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Kaposia: Fairline
Spudfest: The Crew
Burnsville: Crystal VFW
McQuades C: Russell’s
McQuades D: DMVW
Conference: Classic Glass

Last edited:

Beauner

Starting Player
There are quite a few guys that like to hit that flat fast pitch. I had a catcher in one of my games tell me that he thinks it's easier for him to hit because he's only a couple years removed from baseball, he said when he sees it he knows right away where it's going to be. Both pitchers in the Chanticlear-JEC game, if they got a strike on the first pitch, the second was going to be flat. Travis Clark from Resmondo will tell you before the game not to call a strike on even a borderline flat pitch he throws.

Watch Tommy Baugh from Baugh Ford, he usually does a really good job of mixing heights.
I mean I love my some flat pitches too but even I wouldn't have offered at those.

Beauner

Starting Player
Kaposia: Chuck's Excavating
Spudfest: Nasty Boys
Burnsville: GGM
McQuades D: Longhorns/EAI

Last edited:

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
Kaposia: O&S
McQuades D: DMVW
Conference: L&S Glass

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
Kaposia: chucks
Spudfest: jL
McQuades C: g s sports
McQuades D: longhorn
Conference: classic glass

Last edited:

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
Kaposia: Chucks Excavating
McQuades D: M&M Glove Repair

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Spudfest
Nasty Boys
The Crew
Renegades
We lost to the first place team, then the third place team.

Glad the rain never hit too hard up there yesterday. It was actually nice that the fields got watered by it, and they have a crew of kids that drag them between games. Hopefully more teams sign up next year. Good payouts.

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
We finished T-8 at McQuades. Two typical losses. One game 10 errors the other 7 Runs. It's pretty crazy to see 12 games going on at one time just at our complex. Two other complexs that we didn't even get to see because we lost our first game. You wouldn't know softball is dieing if you go this tourney.

Beauner

Starting Player
We finished T-8 at McQuades. Two typical losses. One game 10 errors the other 7 Runs. It's pretty crazy to see 12 games going on at one time just at our complex. Two other complexs that we didn't even get to see because we lost our first game. You wouldn't know softball is dieing if you go this tourney.
Sounds like our two losses yesterday in Burnsville. Hit into 3 double plays in our first loss and then kicked three double play balls in our elimination game against MBD.
Feels like the rain delay kinda cost us a bit of momentum. A lot of our team went home and relaxed and looked at the radar and expected them to cancel the rest of the games but the rain mostly cleared up by 4pm and with how dry the fields have been, they soaked up the rain pretty quickly. Seemed like our team was done for the day after the rain delay kicked in and the other teams stayed ready to go. Pretty frustrating way to end after putting up 32 runs in the 5 innings before the rain delay kicked in.