Recent content by cjangeloni1986

1. C

ASA ASA Standins Tie Breaker Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. With this being the last week of our rec league there are many possibilities of several tied for second after the weeks over. As I was reading the rules for the tie breaker I couldn't tell how to fully interpret it. Our rules/steps for tie breakers: 3. In...
  2. C

ASA Distractions from past the outfield fences

It blows my mind that I have seen umpires toss fans for arguing balls and strikes but there is no rule protecting players from harrassment from spectators.
  3. C

The fine line between being a jerk and playing hard..

I was playing in a Rec league and it was the Semi finals. My team was up 8-4 in the 3rd inning. We had a baserunner on first. The batter hits a groundball to second and R1 was fast and slides hard at second to break up double play. He did not go cleats up and his intent was only to break up a...
  4. C

ASA Deadball - Advance or No?

Does the fact he was retreating effect what base he is awarded? Since he was going back towards 1st at the time of the throw would 1st base count as one of the awarded bases? If not is their a situation where the base you were retreating to was counted as part of the 2 base reward? For example...
  5. C

ASA Force at Second

Just asking a question for my clarification. Does the ball have to be in the hand or glove to be while making a tag on the base or as long as you show some control such as if you trapped the ball between forearm and bicep, trapped it under armpit, or caught it between your legs. A situation...
  6. C

ASA Runner on third, double play to end inning, but not force out, runner's run co

I have seen where the runner at third runs on contact. The shortstop catches it and then guns the guy down at first but not before the player from third crosses home. They never throw it back to 3rd to make sure he tagged because they are too busy thinking the got the three outs then they are...
  7. C

USSSA Batter taking an out instead of hitting

Waldo8403, I have read in ASA that you can run around the bases with a bat as well. Do you know where that rule is in the book? I play ball with a lot of umpires and they all tell me not to touch first while holding the bat. I have talked to umpires during the game as well and they said they...
  8. C

ASA Umps not calling back shoulder strikes

I agree with LOCO33. As a player all you can ask from the umpire is to be consistent for both teams regardless of what your strike zone is. Every umpire out here in slow pitch ASA seems to have their own style of umpiring. We have an Ump that will expand his zone enormously on 3-1 counts. We...
  9. C

ASA Pitcher interferes with runner away from ball

Another question just popped up into my mind. How many bases can an Umpire protect a base runner? The case that I was thinking about is what if no one was on base and the batter hits a ball down the right field line and it is rolling to the fence. The batter has a lot of speed but makes contact...
  10. C

I used to not continue to the bag because I would be out by a mile after the contact. Once I found out you have to continue to the next base to get obstruction I continue to the next bag every time now. I have always been given the base before but what got me a little annoyed about this instance...
  11. C

Is obstruction a judgment call? I hit a ball to right field in a co-ed game and knew the girl at second couldn't catch so I rounded first at full speed to get to second and tripped over the first baseman who was still on the bag. I rolled and got up and continued to second in a jogging manner...
  12. C

ASA SCMAF/ASA Runner misses 1st base...

In the OP's description of the play he states that it was a bang bang play. So when is it the player is considered passed the bag? Is it when the whole body crosses pass the back of the bag? If it was a bang bang play like the OP described then does the assumption that he touched first after...
  13. C

ASA Carrying bat to first base

Thank you for your help guys.
  14. C

ASA Carrying bat to first base

I thought I read that the batter can carry the bat with him while running the bases. I usually carry the bat down with me as I run and drop it right before I touch first base. My friends who umpire were telling me you cannot touch a base with the bat in your hand and if you do then you are out...
  15. C

ASA Interference at first??

Thank you for all the help. The umpires that umped the game are good guys and have umped the tournament for years. The opposing team was giving them a lot of crap for an earlier call that could have gone either way and I thought it may have been a make up call to get them to hush up a little.