The fine line between being a jerk and playing hard..

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing in a Rec league and it was the Semi finals. My team was up 8-4 in the 3rd inning. We had a baserunner on first. The batter hits a groundball to second and R1 was fast and slides hard at second to break up double play. He did not go cleats up and his intent was only to break up a double play. We have a good relationship with most teams in the league and the shortstop is a good guy, but he went off on our guy for the hard slide. My question is where is the line drawn in leagues for what is considered playing the game hard and someone being a jerk? Is there a difference to how you play depending on if it is Rec ball or Tournament ball? Is there really such a thing as running up a score? I hate when my team hits the ball to the fence and we go base to base instead of playing the game normally. Thoughts?

JJ Dynamite

The Veteran
I feel a slide with the realistic and true intent to breakup a double play is fair play. I'd actually be upset if my teammate didn't slide and go for it.... however, there shouldn't be any attempt at injury; cleats up, or zero realistic chance of effecting the play.

If someone complains about running up the score, then tell them to drop down a league or practice & get better.

When hitting, I would expect everyone to run things out as they would in any situation. A triple should be a triple, and runners should score. Only caveat is stealing bases when up 10+ is poor sportsmanship in my book.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Hard slide into the base, or did he actually slide slightly left/right of the base and/or slide past the base?

Hard slide directly into 2nd without your feet or body passing the base is absolutely no issue in rec. Now if you are sliding to the right of left of the base and/or extend past the base and make contact with the defense then ???? depending on the degree of contact.
JJ

Sideways Guy

Addicted to Softballfans
I had this happen to me last week turning 2. Dude slid hard, went past the bag, took my legs out (I was "behind" the bag), and stopped a couple feet past the bag. Boy, I was hot! I certainly appreciate hustle and hard play, but ignorant BS that could get people hurt doesn't set well with me. It's E league ball; we're just trying to have some fun with beer and ball; this guy slid like it's game 7 of the WS.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
Doesn't matter if it's rec or tourney no one plays to lose and anyone who does needs to find another sport bcuz competitive ones aren't for them. Now if your in a beer league then thats a completely different story but beer isn't even allowed on the property in my leagues so were there to win I mean who has fun losing in a non beer league right? That being said as long as the intention was to break up the play without touching/harming the other player then it's fair game. Your guy did what he should've and the SS needs to grow a sack or stick to a sport like golf, or curling where there's no chance or coming into contact with others.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Hard slide into the base, or did he actually slide slightly left/right of the base and/or slide past the base?

Hard slide directly into 2nd without your feet or body passing the base is absolutely no issue in rec. Now if you are sliding to the right of left of the base and/or extend past the base and make contact with the defense then ???? depending on the degree of contact.
JJ

This. Sliding into bag is ok, sliding into the ss is not.

whogotz

dilligaf?
big picture - rec or tournament - unless you are getting paid to play that intense - gmafb we all have to go to work or back to a family - no need for trying to break up a dp

notwithstanding that statement - i can understand someone being competitive - reality is though - chances are neither the slider or ss are technically sound to avoid injury on a hard slide into 2b.

too much potential for injury - blame the batter for hitting into the dp

sjury

The Old Man
The teams I'm on play hard in league until you are up the run rule. After that its station to station, and no one walks. It's disheartening to a team to stop playing hard before the run rule, and not play the game. In league no matter what you shouldn't hard slide to break up a DP. It's a douche move, you slide to the base.

Tourney... You play all seven, or to the time limit. The beer league ball player doesn't play on the weekend, everyone knows what they signed up for. When there's cash, seed money, and prizes on the line, it's no longer a casual game.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
big picture - rec or tournament - unless you are getting paid to play that intense - gmafb we all have to go to work or back to a family - no need for trying to break up a dp

notwithstanding that statement - i can understand someone being competitive - reality is though - chances are neither the slider or ss are technically sound to avoid injury on a hard slide into 2b.

too much potential for injury - blame the batter for hitting into the dp
it's a game. i'm competitive and play to win no matter the game (softball, horseshoes, monopoly, whatever). but there is always a line, and intentionally putting a player in a situation where he may get hurt crosses that line (takeout slide, middle wars, etc.). at least that is my opinion.

like this guy says^^^, we all have a family/job/life to get back to when the game is over.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd be insulted if the other team ran up the score and started slacking off and messing around, trying to hit weakside, or douchebaggery like that

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This isn't a fine line at all its actually pretty black and white. Slide to 2b or slide short of it to protect yourself you are good, slide left, right or over the bag to try to make contact with the 2b/SS/5man to break up the double play you are a douche. This isn't the major leagues there aren't millions of dollars on the line, you are playing for a t-shirt in a game intended to be played by little girls. Sounds like this meaning to or not your buddy fits pretty clearly into the douche category.

Doesn't matter if it's rec or tourney no one plays to lose and anyone who does needs to find another sport bcuz competitive ones aren't for them. Now if your in a beer league then thats a completely different story but beer isn't even allowed on the property in my leagues so were there to win I mean who has fun losing in a non beer league right? That being said as long as the intention was to break up the play without touching/harming the other player then it's fair game. Your guy did what he should've and the SS needs to grow a sack or stick to a sport like golf, or curling where there's no chance or coming into contact with others.

Never heard of anyone in baseball or softball trying to break up a double play while avoiding contact. The whole break up the double play thing means sliding into the middle infielder so they can't make an accurate throw.

oveezy

Addicted to Softballfans
Play to win.... I hate losing... Breaking up a DP is part of the game. If your a middle infielder you know that is coming on all double play situations. Be ready for it. Jump, side step, get out the way, know where the runner is and turn two. I play third now but before I was a SS and I always expected a hard slide in double play situations it's part of the game. They teach you that in little league. If you are not able to handle that, don't play 2nd or SS.

With that said if your team is up by 10+ runs you should show some sportsmanship and ease up. Not sliding to break up double plays, not stretching a single into a double...etc

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Breaking up a DP is part of the game.

If the game is BASEBALL. And when you do that in rec softball, you are a dbag. Slide to the base fine. Slide through a fielder, or either side/over, not fine. The fact that your teammate hit you into a DP doesn't mean you take it out on the other team.

ASA needs to change their rule, which by the way already prohibits intentional contact, to "if you slide to break up a DP at second, anyone from the field or stands can punch you in the face and/or nuts until you stop being a dbag." Yeah, that's about right.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I consider an attempt to collide with one of my infielders as a physical attack and will respond appropriately.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I will slide to the bag, not through the bag. Actually I don't slide anymore unless it is playoffs with the game on the line.

majicmike

Starting Player
I guess being older I look at things a little differently than I did 20 yrs ago. In rec ball I see no need to try and break up a DP. If I was getting paid to play it would be different. Its not worth taking the chance hurting someone over something that in the long run means nothing. I would hate to know I destroyed someones Knee or ankle trying to break up 2. In the end its just a game we play for fun.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
I was playing in a Rec league and it was the Semi finals. My team was up 8-4 in the 3rd inning. We had a baserunner on first. The batter hits a groundball to second and R1 was fast and slides hard at second to break up double play. He did not go cleats up and his intent was only to break up a double play. We have a good relationship with most teams in the league and the shortstop is a good guy, but he went off on our guy for the hard slide. My question is where is the line drawn in leagues for what is considered playing the game hard and someone being a jerk? Is there a difference to how you play depending on if it is Rec ball or Tournament ball? Is there really such a thing as running up a score? I hate when my team hits the ball to the fence and we go base to base instead of playing the game normally. Thoughts?

You had me at Rec League Semifinals

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
The real jerk is the one who just hit into the possible double play...i'd blame them...

Archie1103

Addicted to Softballfans
As a middle infielder you know that the potential contact is always there for a double play. I do agree that sliding over the base is not acceptable by any means but sliding to the side of the bag in my eyes is fine as long as it is not past the base itself. As an infielder you should know that you have options as far as turning the double play also. In my opinion the hard slide is fine, the infielder needs to learn his territory a little better

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
As a middle infielder you know that the potential contact is always there for a double play. I do agree that sliding over the base is not acceptable by any means but sliding to the side of the bag in my eyes is fine as long as it is not past the base itself. As an infielder you should know that you have options as far as turning the double play also. In my opinion the hard slide is fine, the infielder needs to learn his territory a little better

Because everyone playing rec league is not only cognizant of this but also has the athletic ability to play the field correctly. He said rec league. That's where people with limited skills and knowledge should play.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
sliding in league is for 150lb 20 year olds.....us old guys cant even remember who won last week so who cares

Archie1103

Addicted to Softballfans
Because everyone playing rec league is not only cognizant of this but also has the athletic ability to play the field correctly. He said rec league. That's where people with limited skills and knowledge should play.

It shouldn't matter if it is Rec league or Class league. If your playing the game you have an idea of what comes with the game and if you don't like it don't play, simple as that

JoeBraga

Manager
It shouldn't matter if it is Rec league or Class league. If your playing the game you have an idea of what comes with the game and if you don't like it don't play, simple as that

The argument is that take out slides don't come with the game in rec league. I bet if you polled all of the second basemen in rec on how to properly turn a double play, most wouldn't be able to tell you the/a correct answer. That tells me that the game should be played at a dumbed down version.

Some people don't have the athletic ability to play softball at a high level but that shouldn't prevent them from being allowed to play in a safe environment.

single wally

Professional Amateur
You guys that want to go all Charlie Hustle on the league softball field, that's fine, just don't hurt anyone and don't expect others to be as aggro as you.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I do agree that sliding over the base is not acceptable by any means but sliding to the side of the bag in my eyes is fine as long as it is not past the base itself.

If your playing the game you have an idea of what comes with the game and if you don't like it don't play, simple as that

You know what comes with the game if you try to take me out with a slide in rec league? I step on you with my left cleat and pivot hard when I throw to first, simple as that.

People need to realize that softball is a dumbed-down sport for people who can't play baseball. Period. I love it, and I play hard, but I adjust my effort and aggression based on who else is on the field.

sjury

The Old Man

Are you still mad at your little league coach for something? Get over it. ALL Adult Softball is recreation, whether it's beer league or Conference. There is no need to go take anyone out in a DP. Watching the border battle and the futures games on tv, those guys concede DP most the time, and tell me they're not playing hard.

Exactly, some leagues, even competitive ones you'll find the "sponsor" player or "Eddie" playing, because his brother is your stud SS. They attend with a glove and it's the only 14 games they play all year. Give them a break.

The argument is that take out slides don't come with the game in rec league. I bet if you polled all of the second basemen in rec on how to properly turn a double play, most wouldn't be able to tell you the/a correct answer. That tells me that the game should be played at a dumbed down version.

Some people don't have the athletic ability to play softball at a high level but that shouldn't prevent them from being allowed to play in a safe environment.

Just look at the thread in Umpire section where middle IF hit the runner and wondered why it wasn't called interference, because, if you execute a DP properly you shouldn't need the basepath to do it.

You know what comes with the game if you try to take me out with a slide in rec league? I step on you with my left cleat and pivot hard when I throw to first, simple as that.

People need to realize that softball is a dumbed-down sport for people who can't play baseball. Period. I love it, and I play hard, but I adjust my effort and aggression based on who else is on the field.

Hiltz, when a guy comes in aggressively at the bag, no problem because I am not on the first base side the bag. If they come at me on the third base or outfield sides of the bag, I lose my footing and fall on them, no one likes that, and they got exactly what they wanted, they took me off my feet?

Archie1103

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you still mad at your little league coach for something? Get over it. ALL Adult Softball is recreation, whether it's beer league or Conference. There is no need to go take anyone out in a DP. Watching the border battle and the futures games on tv, those guys concede DP most the time, and tell me they're not playing hard.

Yes, I'm beyond upset at my little league coach, How did you know? I didn't say that it was ok for anyone to take someone out in a DP situation. I'm saying that it comes with the territory as their is always someone that will go hard into 2nd base to break something up. I will slide into the bag or next to the bag but never through the bag to take someone out. As a middle infielder I've had my fair share of guys try to slide through the bag at me and never once have I bitched about it because it is a part of the game whether you like it or not.