Search results

1. MrEye

Any Dropped Third Strike

I only ump slow pitch, so never had to deal with this. My buddy is at his kid's game and asked me this. Dropped third...runner from 3rd scores before getting the batter runner out at 1st. Does the run count? I see in my book that they become a batter runner when the catcher fails to...
  2. MrEye

ASA Situation

1st runner scores and heads toward his own 1st base dugout. Next runner coming home, throw ricochets off the brick backstop and hits first runner in the foot - he's still jogging toward the dugout, not looking toward the ricocheted ball. Ball continues up the line a bit and now past the on...
  3. MrEye

ASA Mechanics Question

Bottom of 7th, tie game, one out, runner on 1st. Batter hits a long one down right field line. All this is mostly unnecessary except that it was an intense situation and as home plate umpire I wanted to be in the proper position to make the best call... The runner from 1st is rounding...
  4. MrEye

ASA Call / No call?

This situation happened to a buddy of mine and we had a lengthy discussion about what to do with a couple other umps and a league director... Bottom of the 8th, tie game, potential winning run coming around 3rd. The throw gets past the catcher and to the backstop. Meanwhile, the runner...
  5. MrEye

ASA National Umpire School - Holland, MI

I'm attending the school in Holland at the end of the month and got the itinerary. The plan for Saturday is to go from 8am until "approximately" 7:30pm with a break for lunch. The we start up at 8am on Sunday and go through 4pm. I thought this sounded a bit insane. Not whining, but it seems...
  6. MrEye

ASA A little Help

2nd and 3rd. 1 out. Ground ball up the middle takes the SS into a direct line with 2nd base (Runner standing on it) and 1st base. When he gets ready to throw the runner on 2nd throws his hands in the air. They got the BR after the double pump and the runner from 3rd scored. Of course, the...
  7. MrEye

ASA A First (for me) and a Question

The "First": Had a triple play in a game I umped last night. 1st and 2nd, soft liner over second base, 2B barely gets there and makes the catch, flips to SS, who dances on second and tosses to 1B. Pretty cool. The "Question": These fields have a fence that stops just a little past first...
  8. MrEye

Any Correctable?

Something that popped into my head this afternoon... Bases loaded. Deep fly ball. Outfielder appears to catch it against the fence. The base ump stayed in, so it's the home plate umpire's call. He signals safe/no catch. Batter stands at second and all three runners scored. Defensive...
  9. MrEye

ASA Orange Safety Bag

We had our umpires meeting last night. My League Director wants us to automatically call them out if they hit the white bag entirely when a play is made. No contact is needed. No appeal is needed. I argued a bit that we're opening a can of worms if this is a "force" play that would negate a...
  10. MrEye

ASA Obstruction

Ever a point you don't give the runner the next base? Do you get to use judgement on if the runner was going to go or not?
  11. MrEye

ASA Crazy One Last Night

Guy on 2nd(R2), line drive to 2nd baseman. Goes off of what we originally thought was his head (He later said he got his hand up). Ball deflects all the way to the right fielder playing at normal depth and catches it. Ball never hit the ground. R2 was crossing home when they threw the ball to...
  12. MrEye

ASA What did I call?

As I run the scenario through my head more and more, I think I blew one last night. Ground ball in the hole between short and third. Throw to first offline and down the fence line into the outfield. Batter-runner takes off for second and continues toward third. The 3rd baseman didn't...
  13. MrEye

ASA Batting Out of Order

Happened in our state tournament this past weekend: We're up 8 in the top of the 7th. 1 out. Batter has 2 strikes and hits a foul ball down LF line. Strikeout. I look up from first and it looks like the same guy is batting. Maybe I have it wrong. I yell to HP, ""2 out?" He holds up 2 fingers...
  14. MrEye

ASA 2 base award

Had this happen against us Sunday. Nobody on, batted ball goes off LF glove and under the fence. Umpire gave him 3rd. He said something about it going off his glove and what-not. I asked him later - more to learn as a new ump than to argue. He said the batter-runner got two bases from...
  15. MrEye

ASA Switching Sides

I couldn't find anything in the rulebook. Is there any rule against switching sides during an at bat? 1st pitch the batter is batting from the left side, next pitch he switches over to the right side. They did this to me in a game I called the other night. It was a BS game because it was...