Search results

1. J

The Bear Necessities of Life

I've worked out a bunch of little drills I can do whenever I have a few minutes in my little studio apartment in the city: stance; hands; stride; hips; visualization exercises; that kind of stuff. It's not "live" BP, but I can do it every day, whenever I want, and it's been working well for years.
  2. J

Senior Softball

Good stuff. I had a guy like this on my senior team this year: mainly an OF, but could battle SS to a draw, and better than anybody else we had. You don't have to be the best SS in the world - just the best on that team!
  3. J

Our first 5v5v5

Or 7. Get everybody some rest, whenever you can.
  4. J

Stats, OBP, Lineup

Again, very much this. Guy doesn't take walks? "The more you get on base, the closer you get to the top of the lineup." Guy hits line drive outs? "The more you get on base, the closer you get to the top of the lineup." Guy reaches on error a lot? "The more you get on base, the closer you get to...
  5. J

Stats, OBP, Lineup

So very THIS. Just hit guys in OBP order, and then never think about the batting order again. (keeps guys from griping about lineup spot, too - everybody knows how to move up or why they moved down)
  6. J

Tips & tricks for surviving 6-man tourney

It was a lot of fun, all right. The biggest strategy issue I didn't think of was lineup: you might only hit two innings in a half-hour "game," and if you go three-and-out in one of those innings you're probably doomed.
  7. J

The rules don't say where TF the catcher is supposed to come from... but there will be two pitchers on the field: an "offensive pitcher," a member of the batting team serving it up from behind a screen; and a "defensive pitcher," a member of the infield team who must stay within 12 feet of the...
  8. J

Pretty much. Every 3 outs, the "outfield" team moves to the infield, the infield team goes up to hit, and the hitting team takes the outfield.
  9. J

I'm playing a tournament this weekend, 6-man teams. It's basically ASA with some modifications: 3 teams rotate (4 outfielders / 5 infielders / up to 6 in batting order) "Defensive pitcher" must stay w/in 12 feet of rubber half-hour games pitch to your own hitters (3 pitches max) unlimited...
  10. J

Tower running

Closest I come to this is using my apartment building's stairs for cardio on rainy days: 12 stories, 16 steps/flight, I do 6-7 "laps" and I'm pretty well gassed.
  11. J

start working out at home?

I meant burpee-with-pushup-and-jump, yeah. Different people call it different things. It suuuuuucks, but I hate working out very very much, and I figure doing these for just a few minutes is better than a treadmill or some damn thing. That'd be tougher, no doubt. But too bumpy. I can do (the...
  12. J

start working out at home?

Bodyweight circuits might be the way to go: no equipment needed, except maybe a pullup bar. Any combo of pushups / pullup / squats / dips / lunges / planks / etc. will work your whole body in a short time, and if things get "too easy" you can always make BW exercises harder through leverage...
  13. J

Elliptical vs running

x2. I have a 100-yard 25% grade near my house. Half-dozen "laps" and I am DONE. (note: most of these laps are half running up, half walking up, and then quickly walking down. As long as I'm moving forward as fast as I can, I figure that's good enough. It's HARD, man.)
  14. J

Parallel and Pull up bar workouts

Also, rings. Gives a real appreciation for gymnasts. They make stuff like muscle-ups and "iron cross" look easy(ish), but, um, they seriously are not.
  15. J

Under the Tree...

I asked for, and received, a Nutty Buddy. Everybody wins!
  16. J

Getting back in the gym

Solid answers so far. Start slooooooow. No, slower than that. And, yeah, bodyweight. Not just squats, but pushups / pullups / dips / planks. Get your muscles a little used to being pushed & pulled before you hit the weights.
  17. J

getting into playing shape tips.....

QFT. And if you don't have 20 minutes, do 15. If you don't have 15, do 10. Etc. Always remember that doing something >>> doing nothing. Figure out exercises you can do in just a little time, without equipment, and if nothing else do those. Don't fall into the trap of "Well I can't go do my full...
  18. J

An interesting answer to a popular question

Yeah, once you've worked up to explosive handstand pushups (with a clap in the air), you'll need to look for some new challenges, all right. Until then, though....
  19. J

Yips

Throw from further away. My first warmup tosses are almost always terrible (esp. if people are standing near/behind the guy I'm throwing with), very "yippy." This has always been true. Eventually I figured out that it wasn't a problem if I started off lobbing the ball from a greater distance and...
  20. J

Looking for suggestions to improve my routine

Ahh, gotcha. Try burpees, then! They will WORK you, and you don't need much space at all.