start working out at home?

vikingextreme93

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I would be considered a novice at strength/overall fitness routines since I have not worked out in 12 years. I only have time at home and live a busy life so whatever I can do must be done at home. I started off eating healthy ...oatmeal, nuts, nonfat plain yogurt, lean meats, lots of veggies...all that jazz. I have lost 31 lbs since January dropping to 260 lbs simply with a change in lifestyle which has gone really well. NOW I need to start a workout routine...I used to really be in to working out until my mid 20's and I went to hell big time. I understand working in cardio with strength training but its the strength training part that has me perplexed. I have a nice elliptical and quite a bit of free weights and a bench (no bar...just a straight bench) but I am really only familiar with well equipped work out facilities with all the nice machines and such so I am trying to find resources for free weight strength training as we do not have room for more equipment or anything else. All that turns up in my searches is all the bodybuilding stuff and what I want is strength training for a normal guy with a family and limited time. Any thoughts? It seems standards have not changed a whole lot with regards to training and certain days for certain muscle groups but I am truly starting over and am thinking about maybe starting with total body workouts to start but am not sure...I haven't "started" weightlifting in almost 20 years so I am just not sure the best way to start over. Sorry for the rambling just kind of unsure.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I am doing T25 right now. Has some strength training in the last cycle. I like it because it's only 25 minutes and you don't need a lot of equipment.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
How much time can you deadicate to working out every day? Might wanna look more into something full body instead of breaking it down by muscle groups..... To help lose weight. Cardio will be the devil but very important

vikingextreme93

Addicted to Softballfans
I can squeeze an hour some days but 30-45 minutes a day normally. I walk the dog 25 minutes morning and night so ultimately my goal is to be able to jog with him as he is a German shepherd so he needs as fair amount of exercise. Dog and baby take a lot of time...

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Get an olympic weight set and a cheap power rack or squat stands. Then get a copy of Starting Strength on Amazon. Learn the big lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press) and do the program as outlined in the book. Once your squat is in the 300's and your deadlift is nearing 400, everything else you do will start feeling a lot easier.

Matt1336

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd get in better cardio shape and lose some of that weight. The p90x type of workout would get you the best bang for the buck when you consider your time restraints and goals. These workouts are an hour a day. I guy like you that has wieght to lose will have the weight melting off with proper diet and honest effort in your workout routine. I'm not suggesting anyone one workout..p90, insanity...whatever I think you get the idea

Jigokumimi

Addicted to Softballfans
Bodyweight circuits might be the way to go: no equipment needed, except maybe a pullup bar.
Any combo of pushups / pullup / squats / dips / lunges / planks / etc. will work your whole body in a short time, and if things get "too easy" you can always make BW exercises harder through leverage (wide or one-handed pushups, etc.). You won't get bored, and you're much less likely to get hurt.
Also, if there is a better cardio workout than burpees, I don't want to know about it.

tap2284

Bodyweight circuits might be the way to go: no equipment needed, except maybe a pullup bar.
Any combo of pushups / pullup / squats / dips / lunges / planks / etc. will work your whole body in a short time, and if things get "too easy" you can always make BW exercises harder through leverage (wide or one-handed pushups, etc.). You won't get bored, and you're much less likely to get hurt.
Also, if there is a better cardio workout than burpees, I don't want to know about it.

An 8-count bodybuilder is a burpee, assuming you don't do the push-up (which most people don't do) on steroids. Can do a jump when you stand up or not.

And yes I picked this video because the chick. Better than dudes with no shirts on demonstrating.

[ame]http://youtu.be/f53g_T_l2uI[/ame]

MizakisBizak

Fat & Slow, but still GTG
A cost-effective at home program you may want to look into is "Ruthless" by Weider. Each workout is only 20 minutes, minus warm up and cool down. Every movement is a bodyweight exercise and nearly every workout (20 routines on 10 disks) is full body. Lots of cardio and plenty intense, especially for a beginner. Disk 1 also contains a "fit test" and a meal planner. You can pick it up for $30 at Wal Mart.

Jigokumimi

Addicted to Softballfans
An 8-count bodybuilder is a burpee, assuming you don't do the push-up (which most people don't do) on steroids. Can do a jump when you stand up or not.
I meant burpee-with-pushup-and-jump, yeah. Different people call it different things. It suuuuuucks, but I hate working out very very much, and I figure doing these for just a few minutes is better than a treadmill or some damn thing.

And yes I picked this video because the chick. Better than dudes with no shirts on demonstrating.
That'd be tougher, no doubt. But too bumpy. I can do (the thing I'm calling) burpees pretty quietly, but I live in an apartment building & suspect my downstairs neighbor would come right up here and stab me if I started doing 8-counts.

tap2284

I meant burpee-with-pushup-and-jump, yeah. Different people call it different things. It suuuuuucks, but I hate working out very very much, and I figure doing these for just a few minutes is better than a treadmill or some damn thing.

That'd be tougher, no doubt. But too bumpy. I can do (the thing I'm calling) burpees pretty quietly, but I live in an apartment building & suspect my downstairs neighbor would come right up here and stab me if I started doing 8-counts.

Yes, they SUCK!!!! Doing 20 of them now and Im beat!!! Its a military thing I used to do and still use them, but not nearly as much. Its not too bad... just land soft.

SYNERGY2

Manager
Power rack, bench, and a 300lb Olympic weight set.

This^^^.

I have 4 kids so time is extremely limited. 3 times a week for 20 minutes can be very beneficial. This whole package can be found pretty cheap too.

Throw up a few 2 x 4's in the floor joists in the basement for pullups and you are set.