Any 10 sec rule for the batter

mr.chata

Addicted to Softballfans
So the other night we r the away team.
home team is batting ,2 outs , 33 sec on the clock batter on deck gets his bat starts to walk out then turns to the dugout(run the clock) so i yell 10 sec rule blue. Blue says batter up and starts counting. He gets to 10 and says strike, batter then gets in the box we pitch he lets it fall. It then lands as a strike ,strike 3,batter is out.
What is ur opinions on this??
P.s.it was playoffs

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the batter had no legitimate reason to go into the dugout, the umpire could've called a forfeit for employing tactics to hasten or delay the game.

Could've tossed the guy, could've called ball game, could've called strikes. Any of those would have been legit.

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
Some sanctions you have 5 seconds to deliver the ball after the ump clarifies "play ball" or the pitcher is called for a ball.
If players are deliberately trying to delay, there are rules put in place to avoid that.
Even if the batter approaches the box, or in between pitches and asks for time- it doesn't need to be granted.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Some sanctions you have 5 seconds to deliver the ball after the ump clarifies "play ball" or the pitcher is called for a ball.
If players are deliberately trying to delay, there are rules put in place to avoid that.
Even if the batter approaches the box, or in between pitches and asks for time- it doesn't need to be granted.

Yes, but this is when the pitcher is the one holding things up. If the batter is holding things up while the pitcher's ready to go, we can start calling strikes every 10 seconds.

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
If the batter had no legitimate reason to go into the dugout, the umpire could've called a forfeit for employing tactics to hasten or delay the game.

Could've tossed the guy, could've called ball game, could've called strikes. Any of those would have been legit.

has·ten *(hsn)
v. has·tened, has·ten·ing, has·tens
v.intr.
To move or act swiftly.
v.tr.
1. To cause to hurry.
2. To speed up; accelerate
Does that mean if I say "hustle up".. I can get tossed!?

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, but this is when the pitcher is the one holding things up. If the batter is holding things up while the pitcher's ready to go, we can start calling strikes every 10 seconds.

You missed the point, but you're correct. Thanks?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
has·ten *(hsn)
v. has·tened, has·ten·ing, has·tens
v.intr.
To move or act swiftly.
v.tr.
1. To cause to hurry.
2. To speed up; accelerate
Does that mean if I say "hustle up".. I can get tossed!?

You're just getting silly.

mr.chata

Addicted to Softballfans
It was the best that the 1st pitch ended up stricking.
Oh boy was so mad. We ended up winning that game but lost the 2nd round.
But to to c the look on his face was the best.

matthinkle

Addicted to Softballfans
There are other ways to keep the clock running...stand in the "on deck circle" and wait until umpire says batter up, if the pitcher is not on the mound when you get in the box, ask for time out when he makes contact with mound, make a batter substitution, TAKE PITCHES, foul off a pitch and SLOWLY run up the line and return SLOWLY...plenty of ways of doing it without the umpire forcing the issue and calling strikes...

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
There are other ways to keep the clock running...stand in the "on deck circle" and wait until umpire says batter up, if the pitcher is not on the mound when you get in the box, ask for time out when he makes contact with mound, make a batter substitution, TAKE PITCHES, foul off a pitch and SLOWLY run up the line and return SLOWLY...plenty of ways of doing it without the umpire forcing the issue and calling strikes...

Just about any of these other than taking pitches could be easily construed as a deliberate attempt to delay or hasten the game. Which would result in a forfeit. Play the game like you all know you're supposed to. Yet another reason why I'm glad the umpire holds the clock in the leagues I work.