17 weg flex

shaggy24

"did i do that"
just wondering if anyone has had a chance to swing the new wegman flex for 2017. would like to know what peoples thoughts r on it.

BRAINTRAIN

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not a one peice guy and haven't swung a one peice in years. But this bat broke in fast and I'm a big fan. Not big enough fan that I would switch from the helmer. But I'm very happy with the Wegman. If it comes out at the same price as previous years Wegman. It will be a great bat for cheap.

I think it was ok - have always been a Wegs fan (especially the 100W). Honestly, the thing was stiff as hell. However, the Helmer felt really good right from the beginning. I think 100 to 200 swing with some stadiums or some form of rock and I would be a fan. For right now though, I am a fan of the Helmer.

starkbomber

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't have alot of time behind one, but it was definitely the stiffest and most unforgiving of the new Flex line 2017 bats. That said, any well broken in Wegman I have hit has been a bomber. I am betting this will be as well and hopefully with a 500ish break in period as opposed to 1000+

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
IMO every Wegman model bat ever made has started out super stiff and unforgiving. You really have to be a fan of 1 piece bats and be willing to put some time into them to break them in. They're endloaded and the sweetspot is far out on the barrel toward the end of the bat.

That said, I own several Wegman models and they all work just fine. Of all the Eastons I'd say they have the smallest sweetspot.

starkbomber

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say you are bang on the money.
Smaller sweets pot and you have to put in work for them to give up the goods. That said: a well broken in Wegman REALLY rewards good hitting. I am playing with the idea of grabbing a 2017 Wegman.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yeah, once you figure out the sweetspot location and start finding it Wegmans are bombers. I have an SCN20BW, a '13 L2 and a '14 L2. All of them swing similar.

mikenfreak+

Part Time Player
I got a usssa 17 wegs with around 300 hits and it's still a turd. It sure don't get hot quick like the helmer and it's rough on the hands. I'm gonna take it to the batting cages today or tomorrow and beat it with some 50/700 diablos and see if it'll open up.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is some variation from bat to bat. I think you either got one that had only hit 52s or Miss Daisy put those 300 hits on there.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a usssa 17 wegs with around 300 hits and it's still a turd. It sure don't get hot quick like the helmer and it's rough on the hands. I'm gonna take it to the batting cages today or tomorrow and beat it with some 50/700 diablos and see if it'll open up.

I would use Classic Ms instead. Hard ball just bounce off and damage the bat more than break it in

mikenfreak+

Part Time Player
I hit plenty hard enough. But it acts just like a imx easton and is stiff. And thanks for the info on balls clemente.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Classic Ms are the absolute worst balls for a bat there is. He'd be better off with the .50 cors.

.40 cors are bad on bats IF you're hitting in the cold, in warmer temps I wouldn't be scared of them. I have a pair of Wegmans on the way (28 and 30oz, I'm stepping up my game ;) ) and I'll be using everything in my hard ball bucket on them, .40/400, .47/525, etc. I haven't been able to hurt an Easton yet.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Classic Ms are the absolute worst balls for a bat there is. He'd be better off with the .50 cors.

Yeah what Hiltz said. For some reason I keep thinking weather is the same around the country. We have Thanksgiving and Christmas in the mid to low 80s. Although when there is a cold spell Classic Ms get as hard as Stadium ZNs

mikenfreak+

Part Time Player
We'll me and a friend took my wegman to the batting cages today and put another 180 hits on it. It's webbing up now and feeling pretty good. We took it to the field afterward and it performed pretty well. We had a few shots over 300' and some nice line drives. It's starting to sound pretty nice too.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yeah what Hiltz said. For some reason I keep thinking weather is the same around the country. We have Thanksgiving and Christmas in the mid to low 80s. Although when there is a cold spell Classic Ms get as hard as Stadium ZNs

I don't care what the weather is, I'd NEVER use classic Ms to break a bat in. Those balls don't flex at all. At least with .50 balls the core of the ball flexes somewhat. Classic Ms you might as well hit a rock. It will turn a bat from brand new to cracked in no time.

I also believe in breaking a bat in gradually. Taking a brand new bat (even an Easton) and shocking it with rock hard classic Ms will not let the fibers loosen properly. They just crack. The bat breaks before it even starts getting hot.

That said, most of my Eastons hit .52s only. Those balls WILL break them in, but its a slow process. I enjoy it though because you see the bats evolve and get hot over a drawn out process.