17 Wegman Or Helmer

BigCO9

I have read the individual reviews posted here... but has anyone swung both and which did you prefer?

I loved my old L6 and used it til it basically split down one side. Got a free bat and switched to the green L3 2-piece. Used it for basically 2 summer and hit just fine with it, just have never been a fan of the 2-piece Flex/whip when going through the zone.

Looking at getting the new 2017 Flex Technology... just can't decide which route to go. Heard Wegman has insanely small sweet spot which is messing with my head.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
I have read the individual reviews posted here... but has anyone swung both and which did you prefer?

I loved my old L6 and used it til it basically split down one side. Got a free bat and switched to the green L3 2-piece. Used it for basically 2 summer and hit just fine with it, just have never been a fan of the 2-piece Flex/whip when going through the zone.

Looking at getting the new 2017 Flex Technology... just can't decide which route to go. Heard Wegman has insanely small sweet spot which is messing with my head.

Saw a trusted rep on Fb post some info about both the Helmer and Wegman. He said both are awesome but he did prefer the Wegs slightly more. I've been using 2pc since I came back in 2015 but at heart I still do love my 1pcs and the Wegs love had me thinking. I have heard rumors about the smallish sweet spot but tbh, if you hit the IMX bats well, I can't imagine the flex tech will disappoint you. Just my opinion, but I would say if you like the 1pc, go with the Wegs. Would be surprised if you come back salty about it.

sloweddy31

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got both and have swung both and prefer the Wegman because of the feedback I get on a miss hit. Helmer is more forgiving but both are solid bats but are now game only after 60 swings.

BigCO9

Sounds like a few Wegs fans here. Just when I felt like all I was seeing was Helmer fans...

Wish the weather here in Indiana would get nice so I could get some swings in. Just found out a buddy got the Helmer today.

Appreciate the replies from everyone though. Keep them coming.

BigCO9

Anyone else swung both have some info on these two? Indiana weather kinda blows and not allowing for any swings.

starkbomber

Addicted to Softballfans
I have hit both of them. Not outside, but in a cage with a hittrax machine.

Wegman was 27, Helmer was 27.5 and each had 150ish hits when done. Helmer was definitely more forgiving and loosened up quicker. The Wegman was just starting to hit another gear near the end.

The Wegman has DNA from the Easton 12inch barrel one piece bats: smaller sweetspot, stiffer and more feedback. Not everyone will want this, but I will say: you catch the ball and it flies. The two hardest hit balls mph wise werr with the Wegman. I am betting a Wegman flex with 500+ swings would be an absolute monster.....which is why I am getting one. ;)

BigCO9

I have hit both of them. Not outside, but in a cage with a hittrax machine.

Wegman was 27, Helmer was 27.5 and each had 150ish hits when done. Helmer was definitely more forgiving and loosened up quicker. The Wegman was just starting to hit another gear near the end.

The Wegman has DNA from the Easton 12inch barrel one piece bats: smaller sweetspot, stiffer and more feedback. Not everyone will want this, but I will say: you catch the ball and it flies. The two hardest hit balls mph wise werr with the Wegman. I am betting a Wegman flex with 500+ swings would be an absolute monster.....which is why I am getting one. ;)

Thanks. Wegman has always been what I was wanting. Just seemed like everything I saw online was all Helmer.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got both and have swung both and prefer the Wegman because of the feedback I get on a miss hit. Helmer is more forgiving but both are solid bats but are now game only after 60 swings.
You're a big ole freak though. How you been radio?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I was really torn between the two Both hit great. I do like the Helmer a little bit more mostly because I do like as much endload as I can get. The Wegman is SO smooth to swing though. One piece vs two piece is nothing more than preference of feedback though. I will say that. While I'd choose the Helmer over the Wegman, if someone said I had to swing a Wegman instead I wouldn't be upset.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
I was really torn between the two Both hit great. I do like the Helmer a little bit more mostly because I do like as much endload as I can get. The Wegman is SO smooth to swing though. One piece vs two piece is nothing more than preference of feedback though. I will say that. While I'd choose the Helmer over the Wegman, if someone said I had to swing a Wegman instead I wouldn't be upset.

So, safe to say that you think these Eastons are much better than past ones, and that you prefer, generally speaking, Helmer, Wegman, Baker in that order?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
So, safe to say that you think these Eastons are much better than past ones, and that you prefer, generally speaking, Helmer, Wegman, Baker in that order?

Yes. Only reason for that order is because

Helmer - Big endload
Wegman - Normal endload
Baker - No endload

They all hit great.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes. Only reason for that order is because

Helmer - Big endload
Wegman - Normal endload
Baker - No endload

They all hit great.

Ya after researching, it is fruatrating, they market the Helmer as "an extra .5oz EL" but don't say what the "normal" EL is....frustrating, would really like to know...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Ya after researching, it is fruatrating, they market the Helmer as "an extra .5oz EL" but don't say what the "normal" EL is....frustrating, would really like to know...

Easton's endloads are hardly consistent. I have a couple Wegmans from past years that are SEVERELY endloaded. Kirbys are too. If anything I'd say Helmers have the least endload of those 3. The progressive endload models get nasty heavy in 30 oz.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton's endloads are hardly consistent. I have a couple Wegmans from past years that are SEVERELY endloaded. Kirbys are too. If anything I'd say Helmers have the least endload of those 3. The progressive endload models get nasty heavy in 30 oz.

I didn't have a ton of experience with Easton's since coming back in 2015 but the few I swung like the red and black L1 and L2s, the red and white kirby, OG Torq and the SiS Salvo I had, all swung pretty smooth, even with some of the 28oz 3 oz ELs....but that 30/4 might have been crazy HAHA

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
So, talked to Easton, rep said that Wegman has a progressive 1oz EL, and Helmer packs a 1.5oz progressive....I really want to try both of these now LOL

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, talked to Easton, rep said that Wegman has a progressive 1oz EL, and Helmer packs a 1.5oz progressive....I really want to try both of these now LOL
I heard the new ones didn't have progressive. I naturally don't trust reps, can someone confirm our deny? It's been written on the barrel for the last two years so hopefully it still is.

Reactions: Wik

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
I heard the new ones didn't have progressive. I naturally don't trust reps, can someone confirm our deny? It's been written on the barrel for the last two years so hopefully it still is.

Ya, I understand completely. I just was frustrated with how they marketed the Helmer as "an extra .5oz EL" but extra compared to what??? So I did a live chat on Easton's website and the rep said Wegmans are 26/1, 27/2, 28/3 and the Helmer is the same with just an extra .5oz per....I hate that they don't list it on the barrel though, as you mentioned that was always something they had on there. I'm not saying this is 100% but it is the clearest info I have had yet to date on the EL questions about these new lines. Hopefully someone can/will confirm but I am hoping this is true!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Easton might not do progressive endloads anymore because all the little sally girls complained that 3 oz in a 28 oz bat was too much.

Frankly I love the idea of progressive endloading. In the heavier weights you really feel it.

BigCO9

I've had the ASA White L6.0, the ASA Green L3.0 and the 2015 ASA Wegman. All are 28oz with 3oz endload but man, that Wegman feels much heavier.... but I like the weight of that one over the others.

Just some people can't get that weight through the zone.

BRAINTRAIN

Addicted to Softballfans
There is no progressive endload. They are all the same. 1oz Wegman and 1.5oz helmer. I've swung all the weights. But that being said there is a huge difference in swing weights between them all. But I've heard the scale weights are all over the place.