2 unusual events happened in league yesterday

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
So yesterday was an interesting day in our league. 2 very unusual things occurred and I thought I'd share. I've only seen 1 of them happen before in a game I was involved in. The other I've never seen before and hope to never see again.

1. High fly ball to right field. Fielder gets under the ball, calls it at the last second, loses it in the sun and BAM! Tips off his glove and hits him right in the head. Fortunately he was alright and we all got to enjoy the ensuing Jose Canseco jokes (The batter ended up scoring on the play).

2. Bottom of the 7, no outs, down 4 runs, runner on 1st and our leadoff hitter up. Pitch is on the way and the ~10 yr old son of their OF throws a stick at the batter:eek: Play stops and the ump actually calls no pitch (it was a ball) and play continues. Of course the father of the year in the OF did nothing. Didn't even scream at him from the OF. Sadly that didn't shock me as the kid acted like he's never been disciplined in his life.

Last edited:

jp24

Band
If it were one of my kids, they'd be walking with a limp today. Which is why they'd never even fathom to do something like that.

So this was your first time seeing someone get hit in the head on a routine flyball. :D :rolleyes:

Kid throwing the stick should have been ejected from the park, umpires just sometimes don't tkae the steps needed to control the situation. ;)

pitchslapped

Starting Player
If I was the dad I would have yelled one of those just wait till I get back in there. And then whipped his ass infront of everyone. Bet he wont do it again....Better yet my son would never do anything that stupid because he know his ass would get whipped infront of everyone.

KannonsDad

**** you
If I was the dad I would have yelled one of those just wait till I get back in there. And then whipped his ass infront of everyone. Bet he wont do it again....Better yet my son would never do anything that stupid because he know his ass would get whipped infront of everyone.

Yup, my kid will be 2 next week and is well on the way of knowing right from wrong. He will be a well behaved fan/batboy when the time comes.

Stretch19

Grow up
my junior year in HS, i was going in foul territory towards the fence up the 1b line, found the ball, found the fence, tried to find the ball again and only saw sun....ball hit me squarely in the eye socket and broke my orbital bone, haha

AJ22

Super Moderator
If it were one of my kids, they'd be walking with a limp today. Which is why they'd never even fathom to do something like that.

Tough guy act ? Really ?

As for the appropriate discipline for this, not sure but I would have thought it was funny as long as no one was hurt ... the kid wanted his dad's team to win. Human/kids nature isn't it ?

AKLncn

Addicted to Softballfans
Tough guy act ? Really ?

As for the appropriate discipline for this, not sure but I would have thought it was funny as long as no one was hurt ... the kid wanted his dad's team to win. Human/kids nature isn't it ?

He threatens violence towards kids because he doesn't know how to raise them right from the start. I'd probably take away the XBox and if they're good, Santa would bring them another one, or have him rake the guy's lawn this fall.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Where was this kid standing? Were there no fences around the field?

There is a backstop and a fence along the 1st and 3rd base line (probably 100 feet down each line) - obviously with a gap so you can get from the bench (no real dugouts) to the plate. The kid walked to the gap and threw the stick.

Nobody was hurt, so it was kinda funny. But it pissed me off that not only would a kid do something like that, but the father didn't do anything about it. The kid will continue to do stupid crap like this if he's not taught otherwise.

Oh, and before someone asks, we won the game.

jp24

Band
Tough guy act ? Really ?

:rolleyes:

He threatens violence towards kids because he doesn't know how to raise them right from the start. I'd probably take away the XBox and if they're good, Santa would bring them another one, or have him rake the guy's lawn this fall.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Puhleeze....try again. My two boys are the most polite, well mannered kids you will ever meet and not because I beat them.

Psst, don't believe everything you read on the internets....

AJ22

Super Moderator

Puhleeze....try again. My two boys are the most polite, well mannered kids you will ever meet and not because I beat them.

Why would you say '' If it were one of my kids, they'd be walking with a limp today. '' ????

Beat your kid(s) over the fact of wanting their dad to win. And believe me, nothing you post here is believeable. IJS .. :p

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
How bout outfielder waiting for sky high fly ball to come down on cold night. While looking up, exhales, fogs the glasses up and loses the ball just as it comes down. Just missed the noggin. Yup...that was me. :eek:

I'm surprised the umpire didn't weigh in with a "One more time and you can leave the area young man" Hey, somebody has to parent. :rolleyes:

jp24

Band
Why would you say '' If it were one of my kids, they'd be walking with a limp today. '' ????

Beat your kid(s) over the fact of wanting their dad to win. And believe me, nothing you post here is believeable. IJS .. :p

It would be a figurative limp, not literal one. ;) I am a big proponent of taking amenities away from them. Those two boys have every gadget known to man...and not because I spoil them but because they are well mannered and respectful.

As for nothing I post being believeable, it's like I have my very own stalker. That's sweet. :p:D

AKLncn

Addicted to Softballfans

Only one person can be the "World's Greatest Dad" and I already have the shirt to prove it!!!:p

AJ22

Super Moderator
It would be a figurative limp, not literal one. ;) I am a big proponent of taking amenities away from them. Those two boys have every gadget known to man...and not because I spoil them but because they are well mannered and respectful.

As for nothing I post being believeable, it's like I have my very own stalker. That's sweet. :p:D

I stalk everybody ... don't feel like you are privileaged.

As for giving your kids a limp ? ... sure thing dad. Sure thing !

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
This is funny I just posted the same thing because I was cracking up at my desk so I just posted it up on SBF and someone said that you already posted it.

jp24

Band
I stalk everybody ... don't feel like you are privileaged.

As for giving your kids a limp ? ... sure thing dad. Sure thing !

I was going to go with the rolleyes emoticon here in triplicate, but I think I'll just stick to the sounds of silence.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
if the dad were to have yelled at his son from the OF/whopped his ass then he is a bad dad. if he doesn't do anything he is a bad dad... hmmm.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
Who said if he yells at him he's a bad dad?

idk. didn't read a post besides the OG. just saying that in todays society some hooker gf of a guy on the other team (your hooker btw) would have called child protective services saying he was using vulgar language, blah blah blah and he no longer has a child