Any 2011 in Review

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Dear fellow umpires,

For many like myself, the 2011 season has come to a close. I called my last two games last night, and I've begun the task of cleaning, scrubbing, polishing and putting away all of my gear.

It was a tough road coming into the season. Fresh off of reconstructive ankle surgery, I didn't set foot onto the field until April 26, missing half of the spring season. It probably would've been longer had I not pushed my physical therapist so hard into agreeing to release me from PT. Hey, I did all of my exercises, and then some! The recovery from the surgery set off a bad case of plantar fasciitis, but with the help of modern medicine (ie., cortisone shots), I was able to finish out the year without too much more pain. The break should help calm it down.

I have a lot more gear now than I did at this time last year: a chest protector, mask, shin guards, plate shoes, and a large roller bag. I've begun a new chapter in my umpiring career, a new challenge: fast pitch. So far, I'm definitely enjoying it. I would dare say that this was long-overdue. Over the last couple of years, I had started to lose my love for the game, but calling fast pitch, even as low-level as it is, has rekindled my passion for softball and participating as its official.

I learned a lot of things this year, and felt like a rookie all over again. While 2011 had its trials in store for me, it also had its peak moments. What are some of yours?

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
This was my first year!!! Started out nervous the first couple of weeks, but that went away quickly. I have umped over 150 this year....which isn't a lot compared to you vets, but it does seem like a pretty good year. I am pretty confident with how I am doing, but I do know that I, like other umps, do miss calls at times. Damn, we run a 1-man here, so it is going to happen. The thing that bugs me is when I am umping friends' games and they ***** about close calls. Half the field is going to be upset at the close calls, but it still kind of bugs me when there is an excessive amount of crying. I am now preparing to referee High School basketball. That is going to be a lot harder I think!!! I definitely feel less confident on the hardwood, but I know that I will improve at it as I get more games in.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
This was my first year!!! Started out nervous the first couple of weeks, but that went away quickly. I have umped over 150 this year....which isn't a lot compared to you vets, but it does seem like a pretty good year. I am pretty confident with how I am doing, but I do know that I, like other umps, do miss calls at times. Damn, we run a 1-man here, so it is going to happen. The thing that bugs me is when I am umping friends' games and they ***** about close calls. Half the field is going to be upset at the close calls, but it still kind of bugs me when there is an excessive amount of crying. I am now preparing to referee High School basketball. That is going to be a lot harder I think!!! I definitely feel less confident on the hardwood, but I know that I will improve at it as I get more games in.

Go here........... http://forum.officiating.com/basketball/

Visit it every day and don't be afraid to ask questions. Hundreds of years of experience on that board. You do not have to be registered to look......only to post.

Good luck.

Joel

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans

Just shake your head and smile. Works for me. They know I had the right call (or it was close enough that a mistake does not warrant the crying).

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That's a lot of gear to require a roller bag for an ump... :p:D

Well, there's these
d_442.jpg

Plus these if I'm calling rec league 10U
100434.jpg

Plus this (and the ab extension)
PNCPU.jpg

Plus this
diamond_dfm-ix3-p1002.jpg

Plus these for the plate
mu450mk_lg.gif

Plus these for the bases
7335-side-l.jpg

Plus two caps (one plate, one base), two shirts (one larger than the other), two pairs of pants (one plate, one base), an extra cup (in case a pitcher somehow manages to crack one), plus my indicators (gotta have a spare or two), brushes, pens/pencils, line-up card holders, a good flipping coin, and my small tub of Eclipse gum.

So... Yeah. I need a roller bag! :D

I probably have more reason for one than the players do. They only need to carry a couple of bats, a glove and one pair of shoes. :rolleyes:

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
You're going pro (umping) right? :p:D
It's good info for whoever wants to ump seriously...
Holy cow that's a lot of stuff...

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, there's these
d_442.jpg

Plus these if I'm calling rec league 10U
100434.jpg

Plus this (and the ab extension)
PNCPU.jpg

Plus this
diamond_dfm-ix3-p1002.jpg

Plus these for the plate
mu450mk_lg.gif

Plus these for the bases
7335-side-l.jpg

Plus two caps (one plate, one base), two shirts (one larger than the other), two pairs of pants (one plate, one base), an extra cup (in case a pitcher somehow manages to crack one), plus my indicators (gotta have a spare or two), brushes, pens/pencils, line-up card holders, a good flipping coin, and my small tub of Eclipse gum.

So... Yeah. I need a roller bag! :D

I probably have more reason for one than the players do. They only need to carry a couple of bats, a glove and one pair of shoes. :rolleyes:

When I umpired baseball, during the season I would put a closet bar up in my back seat for all of my uniforms. I had 2 light blue/navy shirts, 2 light blue/red white shirts, 2 navy shirts, 2 black shirts, 2 cream shirts, 2 red shirts, 2 navy jackets, 2 black jackets, 2 base pants, 2 plate pants, and 1 pair combo pants.
Then I would have in my bag... 2 navy ball bags, 2 gray ball bags, mask with an extra harness, west vest gold with an extra harness, plate shoes with extra laces, base shoes with extra laces, 2 patent leather belts, extra cup and jock, shin guards with extra straps, 5 clickers, 2 pens, 2 line up holders, 2 brushes, and a tub of rubbing mud.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
When I umpired baseball, during the season I would put a closet bar up in my back seat for all of my uniforms. I had 2 light blue/navy shirts, 2 light blue/red white shirts, 2 navy shirts, 2 black shirts, 2 cream shirts, 2 red shirts, 2 navy jackets, 2 black jackets, 2 base pants, 2 plate pants, and 1 pair combo pants.
Then I would have in my bag... 2 navy ball bags, 2 gray ball bags, mask with an extra harness, west vest gold with an extra harness, plate shoes with extra laces, base shoes with extra laces, 2 patent leather belts, extra cup and jock, shin guards with extra straps, 5 clickers, 2 pens, 2 line up holders, 2 brushes, and a tub of rubbing mud.

No partridge in a pear tree?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

It's amazing all the **** we have for our profession... :D

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
This was supposed to be the year I got back onto the field after a five-year gap due to relocation, family health issues, and other stuff. Didn't happen. Maybe next year.

Kabbie

Blue Jay
year number four in the book and i felt like i gave my best effort each adn every night i umpired. Did a bunch of league championships... maybe next year i will do a few state tournies here but other than the crying lots of good ball this year was called.

glad we had some two man this ear to go with our one man. But i get more exercise with one man :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
this was going to be the first year I put on the umpiring gear, but my 9-5 got in the way of that. Now that that has calmed down some I'm going to try again next year.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
This was the first year in about 10 years that I didnt work games. I realized over the last couple years that I was working games for the wrong motivation - - I needed too rather than wanted too. Meaning I needed the check and though I enjoyed being on the field, it was more about making money than enjoying the game.

Its been a long couple years and Ive made some major life changes and decided at the beginning of this year that I just really had no interest in working games at all. I hope its not a bad thing to admit, but I did not miss being behind the plate once this summer. Hopefully the next time I step behind the plate it is because I want to do it, rather than I need to.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I took a major downtime due to work a few years back.......I was lucky that I had moved to a town where the DUIC knew me and gave me a few games every now and then. I kept in the game, but not in the same way.......I could not call HS games because I had daughters playing.....but still kept up with the youth games and tourneys whenever I could.

Life sometimes gets in the way........but if you give it a chance........I am sure that you can get back into it.

Joel

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
This was the first year in about 10 years that I didnt work games. I realized over the last couple years that I was working games for the wrong motivation - - I needed too rather than wanted too. Meaning I needed the check and though I enjoyed being on the field, it was more about making money than enjoying the game.

Its been a long couple years and Ive made some major life changes and decided at the beginning of this year that I just really had no interest in working games at all. I hope its not a bad thing to admit, but I did not miss being behind the plate once this summer. Hopefully the next time I step behind the plate it is because I want to do it, rather than I need to.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with saying that.........I'll just say you are significantly better at calling games despite "needing" to be there vs those that wanted to be there.........and I know how doing alot of SP can wear on you as it's the same drama etc every week.......

This is why I may still work some SP but I enjoy doing the HS BB/FP as it is faster paced more enjoyable and doesn't hurt I'm home by dinner and make as much if not more that doing 4 SP games......

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
I've begun a new chapter in my umpiring career, a new challenge: fast pitch. So far, I'm definitely enjoying it. I would dare say that this was long-overdue. Over the last couple of years, I had started to lose my love for the game, but calling fast pitch, even as low-level as it is, has rekindled my passion for softball and participating as its official.

I learned a lot of things this year, and felt like a rookie all over again. While 2011 had its trials in store for me, it also had its peak moments. What are some of yours?

I started working the HS FP/BB a couple years ago and enjoy both of them quite a bit more than SP. I've been asked why I don't work more SP tourney/etc I say I don't play politics and I'll gladly go work 5 baseball games on a sat vs drag thru how ever many SP games with the sae drama week in/week out.......

I just find it tricky sometimes with the rules between BB/FP/SP but working BB and attending clinics has helped out my overall game calling as you run accross more obscure stuff in BB/FP than you would in SP IMO

lumps25

Addicted to Softballfans
I did my first college fastpitch game, it was community college, but it was a start for me. I called the State of Oregon 12u B fastpitch championship game in a 3-man crew, I umpired the 14U Western Regionals fastpitch at Portland, Oregon's Delta Park, I also umpired the 16U Washington State Tournament at the Vancouver Girls Softball Association (VGSA).

I learned quite a bit by allowing myself to be critiqued by my partners after every game. I continued to rehab after dislocating my knee playing sotball a year ago.

All in all a good year.

Now I am looking to join a new association because of my move to the Akron, Ohio area.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Now I am looking to join a new association because of my move to the Akron, Ohio area.

Well, you're moving to an area that is a hotbed for softball. The state ASA commissioner lives up in that area, you have the women's professional fastpitch team, plenty of high school and tournament ball, a pretty big men's fastpitch league nearby and one of the big college assigners in the state is in Akron.

Kathie Graf is the college assigner and also assigns umpires for leagues in the area. Drop her a line- she can probably set you up with games right away...and tell her Bret Stumpf sent you! :)

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
I like this thread...this is the one where softball umps praise each other and try and make themselves think that they couldn't be replaced by a random drunk guy at the park.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I like this thread...this is the one where softball umps praise each other and try and make themselves think that they couldn't be replaced by a random drunk guy at the park.

Oh, no, people like you can have the drunk in the park.......that way you can play ball and have a family reunion at the same time.

Meanwhile, I'll stick to the games with players, not pretenders. Thank you.