2013 SP13X2 Review (ASA Salvo Replacement)

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
I know there has been lots of anticipation for reviews of these Brigade Series bats. I was able to pull a few strings and finally get my hands on a the SV98 replacement thanks to a board bro.

The first 75 swings were with a mix of 40/375's, 44/375's, 11" FP tattoo stones, evil BP lites, and some evil 52/300's. The temp was about 45°F or so. I really was interested in durability so I chose to hit whatever was pitched rather than just the 52/300's.

The bat has a model number of SP13X2, but on the bat it also says XL2. This is sure to cause some confusion down the road. Anyway, I took the wrapper off of the 27oz X2 and started to swing away. My first impressions had me grinning from ear to ear! The barrel is softer than what we are used to on the Salvo line. It felt like a broken in Salvo barrel. The endload appears to be the same as my 27oz SV98. It certainly felt the exact same when compared side by side, and the two buddies of mine hitting with me agreed. The handle is still stiff, and the speed knobs are still used. The sweetspot is much larger than I expected, especially for new out of wrapper. Even on miss-hits, I never rang my hands up at all.

What you all really care about is perfromance though right? Well, rest assured this Brigade series is the real deal! It hung right there with any ASA bat I had with me, even the ones that were severely spiral webbed. This X2 crushes the 52/300 unlike any bat I have swung so far. The furthest balls I hit (excluding the 11" FP rocks) were all 52/300's. After the 1st day of BP there was some paint chipping. Not flaking like just a top layer, but chipping down to the composite similiar to what we saw with the SY98 and SY98H's and such last year. I also noticed two 1/2" long spiral webbs starting to form. Again, I did push the limits of this bat in cold temps, so overall I was impressed.

Day 2 of BP was yesterday. I put another 50-75 swings on it using only the 52/300's and a few 44/375's. The bat performance has improved slightly and the sound changed to a deeper tone. The paint chipping or the spiral cracks did not get any worse at all but the temps were in the middle 50's yesterday which was a fluke for Dec in WI haha.

My advice.......get one, get two, hell get 3 of these! I can't wait for the rest of the Brigade series to arrive to my house! Just got word from Easton Friday a few of my returns are on their way. More reviews to follow, stay tuned.

Before you PM me to ask.....PM coach for the best prices I know of on these right now.

Last edited:

klu

on the mound
Agreed! I was with him both days.....this thing is nuts. watched Chris pull the wrapper off.

Out hit my j3a, z1000,broken in sv98 and even my black n yellow mutant. Ill be getting one soon.

LuckyMatthews

I couldn't put down the X2 to even try the J3A haha. Next time I need to get some swings with that thing for educated comparitive reults. ;)

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
So with the spiral webbing, swing weight, and feel. Would you say this is more like the sy98h than the sv98?

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed! I was with him both days.....this thing is nuts. watched Chris pull the wrapper off.

Out hit my j3a, z1000,broken in sv98 and even my black n yellow mutant. Ill be getting one soon.

Interesting, I may trade you one for your j3 if you ever wanted to move it.

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
Awesome stuff here thanks Lucky. I've got a x2 scheduled for delivery 12/7 and a S2 scheduled for 12/5. Can't wait to swing them. It's great to hear the x2 isn't as stiff as a Salvo. I was debating getting it.

Last edited:

LuckyMatthews

So with the spiral webbing, swing weight, and feel. Would you say this is more like the sy98h than the sv98?

No, swing weight dry swinging felt exactly the same as the SV98 IMO.

lucky next time you go out for BP hit me up. id like to take a few cuts.

Every weekend somewhere bro.....unless I'm playing or working.

Bout time Lucky...... bout time! :)

AMEN

more to come brother.....

hitman444

Addicted to Softballfans
I couldn't put down the X2 to even try the J3A haha. Next time I need to get some swings with that thing for educated comparitive reults. ;)

This is crazy as the J3A is insane! Startin to dig the all yellow color of this bat, for some reason.

Either way, this one is on my Christmas list!

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
Easton is often hit and miss on the endload thing. I have swung the ASA Helmer which is suppose to be endloaded and it feels balanced and the stealth which is suppose to be balanced felt endloaded (Like SSR2).

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this model going to be the most endloaded of the Asa models?

I believe the L1 or L4 whichever is the helmer ASA should be more end loaded. The USSSA specifically states 1oz el for 26oz 2oz for 27oz 3oz for 28oz and 4oz for 30oz. Albeit things can change from the pre-release info to production, but if this is any indication of Easton's new weighting for el bats then the helmer should definitely carry more el than the x2 which is a slight endload.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
I believe the L1 or L4 whichever is the helmer ASA should be more end loaded. The USSSA specifically states 1oz el for 26oz 2oz for 27oz 3oz for 28oz and 4oz for 30oz. Albeit things can change from the pre-release info to production, but if this is any indication of Easton's new weighting for el bats then the helmer should definitely carry more el than the x2 which is a slight endload.

There is no way a bat is going to have 4oz end load.

im curious what to do as far as a return because i have an asa bat and if i send it in this will be the replacement or a $150 voucher. I only play usssa so thought about taking the voucker but i know this bat meets the new asa standards and didnt know if it would be hot enought to put in my bag to use for usssa

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
im curious what to do as far as a return because i have an asa bat and if i send it in this will be the replacement or a $150 voucher. I only play usssa so thought about taking the voucker but i know this bat meets the new asa standards and didnt know if it would be hot enought to put in my bag to use for usssa

Get a new utrip easton. If they are as hot as last year than your gonna be fine.

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
There is no way a bat is going to have 4oz end load.

I have seen it on paper directly from the manufacturer. I have no reason to make stuff up haha I just love Easton, I don't have any ties with them... Now will it feel like a four ounce end load, or have a drastic difference in balance point from similar bats? Probably not, but it'll probably feel more endloaded than Easton's typical "slight" endload.

jugger13

Manager
First off can't wait to swing my new sp13x2...
But though this was interesting enough to post.
20121205_202744.jpg

20121205_202711.jpg

20121205_204511.jpg