2013 Tampa Bay Rays Thread

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
They got quality pitchers but without any run support that doesn't matter. But I agree , looks like the rays made out.

Myers has definitely come alive, but what are the Rays going to do with the pitching prospects that also came in the trade (Odorizzi and Montgomery). Both of them are top 50 prospects yet there really isn't any room in the rotation for either. Now that Archer is throwing like they expected him to, and Cobb will have no long term effects of ball to the head, it already leaves one guy in their current rotation looking for a spot (I imagine Hernandez will be sent to the bullpen once Cobb comes back). Additionally, it sounds like the Rays favor Colome ahead of both Odorizzi and Montgomery anyways. Its often said that a team cannot have too many pitching prospects, but I sure do wish the Rays would trade one of their young guys for a respectable catcher.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
Myers has definitely come alive, but what are the Rays going to do with the pitching prospects that also came in the trade (Odorizzi and Montgomery). Both of them are top 50 prospects yet there really isn't any room in the rotation for either. Now that Archer is throwing like they expected him to, and Cobb will have no long term effects of ball to the head, it already leaves one guy in their current rotation looking for a spot (I imagine Hernandez will be sent to the bullpen once Cobb comes back). Additionally, it sounds like the Rays favor Colome ahead of both Odorizzi and Montgomery anyways. Its often said that a team cannot have too many pitching prospects, but I sure do wish the Rays would trade one of their young guys for a respectable catcher.

They drafted a stud catcher this year! Scouts say he has Mauer potential. Any great club needs to hold on to all the quality pitching they can.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
Tonight's game had way too much self defeating drama! Too many missed opportunities. No way Price should've been pulled. Hard to believe they hung on and won. Boston fans must be sick from that play at the plate call.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
Like the Jesse Crain pick up if he can get his shoulder right! That'll take care of the 8th inning bullpen issues. Torres for the 7th, Crain for the 8th, and Rodney for the 9th sounds solid.

Marshenko

Tonight's game had way too much self defeating drama! Too many missed opportunities. No way Price should've been pulled. Hard to believe they hung on and won. Boston fans must be sick from that play at the plate call.

It was a pretty terribly egregious horrible call, as evidenced by the fact that the umpire even said he blew the call after the game, but that's what happens when you don't score from second on a ****ing double I suppose.

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans

No way he should've been called out. Umpire was in the worse position possible to make that call.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
They drafted a stud catcher this year! Scouts say he has Mauer potential. Any great club needs to hold on to all the quality pitching they can.

A HS stud catcher that was drafted this year would make it to the pro squad in 3-4 years if he was really a stud. I would like to see the Rays get someone this year or before next season starts rather than waiting for this kid to develop.

thaynes

Weiters was hyped as mauer with power ijs though hes is at worst the second best defensive catcher behind molina. Way younger though

Marshenko

What scout says that the #21 pick in the draft has as much potential as the #1 pick in a previous draft with an MVP award and three batting titles?

Oh yeah, nobody, because if he did he would've been a top 10 pick.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
I would rather the Rays sign Vladimir Guerrero who hasn't played for anyone this year than to sign Damon.

That's not bad either but Johnny D was Mr Clutch in post season play! He knows what it takes to win a World Series and he liked being with Tampa Bay. I want him for mentorship as much as rbi production. Keep the youngsters grounded and balanced mentally.

Beer_Leaguer

Not Drunk.
There's a reason no one has signed Johnny Damon this year, he was horrid in limited time last year.

They'd be much better off with what they've got.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
There's a reason no one has signed Johnny Damon this year, he was horrid in limited time last year.

They'd be much better off with what they've got.

Maybe you're right. They definately could use a proven post season performer that can DH & be had for a good pitching prospect. Any ideas on who that could be?

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe you're right. They definately could use a proven post season performer that can DH & be had for a good pitching prospect. Any ideas on who that could be?

Looks like the rays aren't making anymore moves. Honestly I would have been pissed to see Damon come back. I loved him when he was here , but you just don't know what you're going to get out of him right now. Luke Scott is doing a decent job right now and they also will have Joyce and Johnson for certain match ups. This is the most complete rays team I've ever seen and I'm not upset at all over them making one move. The Jesse crain trade was great. Low risk high reward potential.

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
Longo's slump is getting baffling! Pitchers are now starting to chuckle when they see him walking to the plate and the game commentators are openly questioning his skills. Get some of that David Price swag and step up bud!

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
Longo's slump is getting baffling! Pitchers are now starting to chuckle when they see him walking to the plate and the game commentators are openly questioning his skills. Get some of that David Price swag and step up bud!

He's getting behind in the count 9 times out of ten. He's over aggressive and can't hit the breaking stuff. His strikeouts are starting to really pile up. Hopefully he figures it out soon. He's been in the cages all week

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
He's getting behind in the count 9 times out of ten. He's over aggressive and can't hit the breaking stuff. His strikeouts are starting to really pile up. Hopefully he figures it out soon. He's been in the cages all week

I can't help but wonder if being a domesticated animal is not sitting well with Longo. I know he use to be a serious hard drinking party animal on the prowl for as much strange as he could get. Now he has a fiance, a kid, and an expectation to be a good faithful husband and dad. I wonder if "the old Longo" is kicking and screaming for satisfaction? This could easily create a mental imbalance that could put his game into a tailspin.

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
I can't help but wonder if being a domesticated animal is not sitting well with Longo. I know he use to be a serious hard drinking party animal on the prowl for as much strange as he could get. Now he has a fiance, a kid, and an expectation to be a good faithful husband and dad. I wonder if "the old Longo" is kicking and screaming for satisfaction? This could easily create a mental imbalance that could put his game into a tailspin.

Haha that could be. Even if his girl is a former playmate. Look at tiger woods.

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
Big series in LA tonight. They really need 2 of 3 out of this. Can't afford to lose to much more ground. Hope Desmond comes back soon , his loss has been hard on the rays during this road trip

Brooks

Addicted to Softballfans
Archer is ok. The Farnes FINALLY got the hook. Glad to see Lueke get the call. He needs big league reps. He has a HUGE upside! Longo seemes to have snapped out of his funk. I think Tampa can take 2 out of 3 in LA.