2014 combats overweight?

ravenfan

Extra Hitter
I already owned an Easton L6 34/28 and Combat AV VIRSP2 34/28. I just bought an ASA Wanted WANSP6 34/26 and from dry swinging it I thought it felt just like my other two bats. Sure enough the bat weighed in at 27.5 ounces

Wanted WANSP6 34/26 = 27.5
Anti Virus VIRSP2 34/28 = 28.4
Eason L6.0 SP13L6 34/28 = 28.9

Have these newer bats been coming in heavy? or could this have been mislabeled?

could anyone else check the actual weight of there ASA Wanted's WANSP6?

thanks

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the Combats are performance weighted, which means they're marked by swing weight and not scale weight.

It's been my experience this is more true with the ASA's. All my Utrips and dual stamps have been closer to sticker weight than my ASA's.

'13 ASA Wanted is a 26 that actually weighs 27.4. My 14 UTrip Wanted is a 26 that weighs 26.2 or something like that.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
All the Combats are performance weighted, which means they're marked by swing weight and not scale weight.

It's been my experience this is more true with the ASA's. All my Utrips and dual stamps have been closer to sticker weight than my ASA's.

'13 ASA Wanted is a 26 that actually weighs 27.4. My 14 UTrip Wanted is a 26 that weighs 26.2 or something like that.

Question, than why would my Dirty HPS and Derby Boys ASA be stickered 26 but weigh 26.1 & 26.4 but my buddies weigh 28 & 27.9?? If this was the case shouldnt they all have the same "performance weighting" (consistency) You can definitely feel a noticable difference in overall swing weight and endload between mine and his when we had them. It's like a blind gamble ordering Combats right now because you never quite know what your going to get (Miken had the same problem for years) Frustrating to some when they dont get the weight they ordered. Someone who swings a 27 oz bat but gets a 30scaled would logically say if I wanted a 30 oz bat I would have ordered one that weight. Just my .02

BOLTMAN21

Manager
And for the record I love Combat and never had any issues other than the endcaps flying off , lol.. But great performance and good experience with CS on my return. I just believe that the quality department needs to be sure that bats weigh what the sticker says they do or keep a consistent "performance weighting" system in place if that is the route they are going. This way when people who are comfortable with specific weights know what they are recieving when ordering their Combat :thumb:

hollywood9826

The Veteran
I Bought 5 Combats last year. W ASA, W275, Dirty ASA, and 2 Aerial Assaults. The dirty was 27 on the nose. The other 4 weighed in at 27.5.

My Three DLAS bats this year both Portents and Wanted U were all within .3oz of sticker (27oz).

This on a scale that gets regularly calibrated by guys mixing chemicals so if the scale is not right the mix gets screwed up and.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought their new factory was supposed to have better QC especially with all the complaints they got over the last couple years.

That being said, I had a 26 oz asa portent that almost weighed 28 oz and my 25.5 oz (stickered and painted) Dirty G3 weighs the same as the 26.5 ones. Turns out the early batches the 25.5's and 26.5's are the same, just labeled different :rolleyes:;

ravenfan

Extra Hitter

"swing weight" meaning how it feels during a swing? Because that doesnt make sense either considering this bat felt just as heavy to swing as my 28 ounce L6.0, which weighs 28.9 on the scale. shouldn't it have been marked "28 oz" then.

These two bats felt as if they had the exact same weight during dry swings.

mizunoguy

Softball Whore
My new AV's sticker weight is 27. I put it on my scale and it weighed 28.2. Really wasn't too happy about that.

wilbz3

Addicted to Softballfans
Last year I had a wanted275 and derby boy275. Both were almost a full ounce over sticker. This year I have had 2 portents, B-hose wanted and derby boy G3. All have been within .2 of sticker weight. All said bats were 27 sticker weight if that makes a difference.

lx_2nv

Coach
Im really curious now what my 28oz orange DBA weighs. Sig. more than my 27 Juggy...but I read those swing light

ravenfan

Extra Hitter
the Wanted that I had recently bought came in a full 1.5 ounces over sticker and the seller tried to tell me that the weight is taken before grip and end cap are added, this very well may be the case, but why then are other peoples bats (combat and other mfgs) not weighing in at the same bloated weight.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a 26oz stickered Wanted ASA come in at 28.2..........I have come to the conclusion that to get bats out the door faster, everything is made heavy, 28ozish, and they just grab a sticker and throw it on there :D

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
"swing weight" meaning how it feels during a swing? Because that doesnt make sense either considering this bat felt just as heavy to swing as my 28 ounce L6.0, which weighs 28.9 on the scale. shouldn't it have been marked "28 oz" then.

These two bats felt as if they had the exact same weight during dry swings.

There is an equation for calculating it. The lay version I like is it's the weight above your hands, as you're not swinging anything below the fulcrum.

My 2014s are closer to sticker, but they're still listed as performance weighted so I wasn't aware all had gotten closer. I only got the Portent ASA so I thought it was an ASA anomaly.

kroc

Manager
I thought their new factory was supposed to have better QC especially with all the complaints they got over the last couple years.

That being said, I had a 26 oz asa portent that almost weighed 28 oz and my 25.5 oz (stickered and painted) Dirty G3 weighs the same as the 26.5 ones. Turns out the early batches the 25.5's and 26.5's are the same, just labeled different :rolleyes:;

^^^is this information true, or are you speculating? If true, where did you get the info?

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^is this information true, or are you speculating? If true, where did you get the info?

I don't know if there's been any official word from Combat or the exclusive seller. This post is the first I've heard of it: http://forums.softballfans.com/showpost.php?p=17781866&postcount=43

and the anecdotal evidence would support that since the posted scale weights of most of the 25.5's and 26.5's posted on here were almost all identical (around 26.8 oz).

tz23

Addicted to Softballfans
I was looking at the new ASA Wanted and almost pulled the trigger, but I bought a 26oz last year that weighed 28 so I bitched out. Found a place selling them for under 170 NIW so the price was right

ATL Rookie

Manager
I've weighed all of my DLAS and purchased bats over the last 2 years and most have been within a half oz of sticker. My new AV is the furthest away and it came in at .85 above.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I've weighed all of my DLAS and purchased bats over the last 2 years and most have been within a half oz of sticker. My new AV is the furthest away and it came in at .85 above.

Hence the reason I think it's more a result of bad QA/QC (which was supposed to be addressed with their new improved manufacturing plant) than "performance weighting".

tz23

Addicted to Softballfans

I bought 3 Combats last year, 2 ASA Wanted's and a ASA DB. Not one of them came within 1.5ozs

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I bought 3 Combats last year, 2 ASA Wanted's and a ASA DB. Not one of them came within 1.5ozs

What weight? I think the largest variations have been with the 26s. That's what I've gathered from what people have posted here at least.

Which is why it's a problem. If you swing a 27 or 28 you can go down, but not if you swing a 26.

ATL Rookie

Manager
What weight? I think the largest variations have been with the 26s. That's what I've gathered from what people have posted here at least.

Which is why it's a problem. If you swing a 27 or 28 you can go down, but not if you swing a 26.

Mine are all 27's and 28's.

BEEJ

Below Me
I have that same scale...........measured a wanted I picked up yesterday, 27oz = 27.01oz with no grip

tz23

Addicted to Softballfans

Exactly man. I ordered a 27 DBA first it was 28.6 on the scale, from there I sold it and bought a 26oz DBA and wanted which both were over 27.5. I could still swing them its not like it was huge deal for me because I usually swing 27s but for those out there that a 26oz is just right..... its tough.