2016 Easton Brett Helmer Flex USSSA BP

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
My swings

doublebagel's swings

Big thanks to Nate Cunningham for getting some swings in with this one! Had about 20 swings on it when we got started here. doublebagel got the first swings in here and I got it with about 50 or so swings on it. Hit mainly Classic M's with this one. This bat was a 28 and in my opinion felt true to weight. The endload was there, but wasn't anything out of hand for being a 28. These aren't marketed as progressive endload, but it feels smooth enough that I would honestly think it might be. The big 13.5" barrel on this bat was stiff which kind of threw me for a loop. The TCT composite has genereally had a softer feel to it (in terms of Eastons) but that wasn't the case here. The whole barrel performed well though. I will say that. Not once did we feel like we missed the barrel on this thing. I'm not 100% sold on their "hot out of the wrapper" claim, but this is definitely lightyears ahead of any other Easton I've hit with this low swing count. I can say with confidence that a couple hundred swings with some Classic M's or Evil BP Rockets and this thing will be a lot of fun.

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
Easton puts weight in the endcap and handle and the weight has to go somewhere. I don't see how it isn't a progressive endload. They can very the MOI and feel of the endoad by placing more/less weight in the endcap or handle. Also, these are a 12" barrel?

doublebagel

Manager
The Flex has a 13.5" barrel and I think its still a progressive endload. I didn't have a previous year L1 handy to compare but its much heavier than the 28oz 100H I had.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
They really needed to make a 12" barrel version of this bat. Not such a fan of 13.5" barrel.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I noticed that too. I can tell you for a fact it's not a 12" just from looking at it. Yet alone swinging it. I ask a pretty reliable source about it and they said it's at least a 13". SIS has it listed as a 13.5"

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
I noticed that too. I can tell you for a fact it's not a 12" just from looking at it. Yet alone swinging it. I ask a pretty reliable source about it and they said it's at least a 13". SIS has it listed as a 13.5"

The models that are being sold say 13.5" barrel on them. Just a mistake.

Thank you for the clarifications sirs. Doesn't make huge sense that Easton would stray from the standard 12" for the Helmers.

WillW3

Starting Player
Thank you for the clarifications sirs. Doesn't make huge sense that Easton would stray from the standard 12" for the Helmers.
Their philosophy was probably to be most like the Miken and Worth as possible, and that included the longer barrel. Just my guess

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I'm glad they went with the longer barrell, i need all the help i can get...lol...

It def is a step in the right direction...i can't wait til mine starts webbing and is fully broken in.

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
Their philosophy was probably to be most like the Miken and Worth as possible, and that included the longer barrel. Just my guess

I'm glad they went with the longer barrell, i need all the help i can get...lol...

It def is a step in the right direction...i can't wait til mine starts webbing and is fully broken in.

Makes sense to compete with Worth/Mike with the longer barrel. I also prefer the 13.5 inchers. My gamer is a ST100.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I've seen one. It's definitely a 13.5" barrel. Seemed hot. Great weighting. Noticeable endload.

ck1

The Madness
Swung a 27oz tonight and I was very impressed. Don't hesitate to pick one of these up.

doublebagel

Manager
I've seen one. It's definitely a 13.5" barrel. Seemed hot. Great weighting. Noticeable endload.

Same here which is why I liked the Flex's bigger barrel. The 28oz was way heavier than my 27oz St100 though. If the Reckoning is a little less endloaded I can see going for that first.

IMG_4007.JPG Got to play around here today and swing some prototypes. I can say that Easton is definitely going the right direction with the Flex. Some sticks were testing in the 250s NIW.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I am sold on this bat.

Have one at 400 hits and it mashes the 40/375 or 52cors we game.

Sold on this bat. All I can say, I hope 2017 means there's a 12" barrel Flex model in the works. My only gripe is the 13.5, but unlike the RealTree and etc, this thing is really good and sweet spot is great.

Big fan. Right up there with my Nighthawks right now, and maybe even winning a little more love from me more I swing.

Black/Gold Helmer getting there too, just taking longer.

WillW3

Starting Player
I am sold on this bat.

Have one at 400 hits and it mashes the 40/375 or 52cors we game.

Sold on this bat. All I can say, I hope 2017 means there's a 12" barrel Flex model in the works. My only gripe is the 13.5, but unlike the RealTree and etc, this thing is really good and sweet spot is great.

Big fan. Right up there with my Nighthawks right now, and maybe even winning a little more love from me more I swing.

Black/Gold Helmer getting there too, just taking longer.
This is good to hear. I was hoping I just gave up on mine too early, but if it's on the Nighthawk's level, I'll have to find another.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Keep in mind, the 400 cuts on mine are a mixed set of 47/500 balls and 40/375 to work it in...

Webbing shows, and not it spits every ball well, including 52 Cor Hot Dots which Eastons never usually do under 1000 swings.

I am pretty impressed. Dare I say, I might swing less Hawk and more Flex? Maybe.

I know for sure in the heat wave we have happening here, with the humidity, the ball is so soft that the Flex is THE best option I have. Still seems to really get a good piece of it and send it for a ride. Hawk is ok, but feels a little on the soft side last few weeks. Soft barrel and soft balls are not friends at times.

If I could keep 2 bats in the bag, it would be Hawk & Flex hands down right now. I have a few others though I still truck around.

This is good to hear. I was hoping I just gave up on mine too early, but if it's on the Nighthawk's level, I'll have to find another.

WillW3

Starting Player
Keep in mind, the 400 cuts on mine are a mixed set of 47/500 balls and 40/375 to work it in...

Webbing shows, and not it spits every ball well, including 52 Cor Hot Dots which Eastons never usually do under 1000 swings.

I am pretty impressed. Dare I say, I might swing less Hawk and more Flex? Maybe.

I know for sure in the heat wave we have happening here, with the humidity, the ball is so soft that the Flex is THE best option I have. Still seems to really get a good piece of it and send it for a ride. Hawk is ok, but feels a little on the soft side last few weeks. Soft barrel and soft balls are not friends at times.

If I could keep 2 bats in the bag, it would be Hawk & Flex hands down right now. I have a few others though I still truck around.
That's the dilemma I have as of now anyway. I try not to hit anything hard with the hawk. We hit 44/400 a lot, so the flex may be a good option

THESHOE

Starting Player
While I don't think durability with the Utrip Hawk is an issue w/ 44/400, I just think barrel of it is too soft and it doesn't feel right. And performance is only average to OK. Hawks shine more on 52 and softer 40 or 44 balls. Anything harder than 40/375 is where I start to keep Hawk in bag and swing trusty Eastons tbh. I'm not alone either. My Worth Legit loving buddies, same deal.

That's the dilemma I have as of now anyway. I try not to hit anything hard with the hawk. We hit 44/400 a lot, so the flex may be a good option

Jusrah99

I'm surprised that they didnt release a 12" option before the current Flex. I liked this model better because i liked the bigger barrel. But i would wanna try a 12" model just to see...i bet it would swing smooth just like wvery other Helmer i've had...

Think I heard of a 12" coming. Something to compete with the Freak 12 and Fulk.

joeym

Manager
I'm surprised that they didnt release a 12" option before the current Flex. I liked this model better because i liked the bigger barrel. But i would wanna try a 12" model just to see...i bet it would swing smooth just like wvery other Helmer i've had...

But they did release a TCT 12" in the Helmer Bomb Squad and the Team Easton Exclusive from last year. Just a little stiffer of a bat, probably needs triple the BP but once broken in, every bit as good as those other 12" bats, but more than like people won't give them time.

Jusrah99

Yea, youre right...probably did the bigger barrel to make it different and see what the results were...Easton is doing great things!

But they did release a TCT 12" in the Helmer Bomb Squad and the Team Easton Exclusive from last year. Just a little stiffer of a bat, probably needs triple the BP but once broken in, every bit as good as those other 12" bats, but more than like people won't give them time.

joeym

Manager
Also, the balanced torq last year was a 13.5 balanced bat and it still had the helmer signature, so i don't think they use his name only for 12" endloads anymore

THESHOE

Starting Player
Yes, this is true. I own the gold one, and yes about 2-3 times the work needed to reach the point.

But feels and EL are not the same.

You're right, many won't give them time. But I put a lot of time into the 2014 and 2015 and never got any reward like I did '12, '13 and now the '16 and Flex lines.

Flex is definitely on a next level. Step in the right direction.

I personally want a 12" for a more cap area sweet spot like the Gold TCT and SP13L1 I like. The Flex has a lower sweet spot area, and it's a damn good one. If a 12" puts it up by cap I am sold.