2016 Miken Big Cat

6BALL

plumber/pipe fter red #6
lefty i did send it back last wensday so ill will call next week and check and mike i will give u a call this bat is flat out nasty thou so i got one of the back ups ready for the spring its getting chilly in ohio.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
Mike,
how many swings is it taking you to get your model to full performance?

mightymike

Addicted to Softballfans
Ken, you know me. I consider a Senior bat ready to go when I first swing it. It is a Sr. bat and what more do you need? But I know what you mean Ken. I am getting reports of the bat hitting the hot zone in about 400 swings. Some sooner. The bats are reading 250 right out of the factory. It depends on where you live as far as the weather goes as to helping with the break in. I have yet to hit a 30 oz bat. That is what I prefer. But I want to hit what is most popular for the players. I have hit the 27oz and now I am hitting the 28 oz. I have 650 swings on it and just the other day I started hitting the ball past one fence that I have been bouncing it off of. Stronger hitters like yourself and say Steve Imlay, Brett Krueger I think the number is 250. Once anyone gets to 400 swings they should be right about 200. I know the bat will even go lower to 175 to 190. As long as the bats keep playing this way will be great. I hope this helps Big Man. For sure the material we are using is making a huge difference. Great job by Miken's research and development department.

Mighty Mike Macenko
aka:Gorilla Boy

War Chief

Addicted to Softballfans
6Ball, did you try and talk with the store you bought the bat from about it breaking so fast? I have talked with the stores I have bought bats from before and got some pretty good results. Good Luck with yours.

War Chief

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
My 27 Big Cat is at 775 swings it tested 190-195 at 750. I am hitting a 50-50 mix of 44-375 and 52-300 balls. One thing that has made a huge difference is getting rid of any balls over 6.50 oz. My first DC 41 lasted 500 swings. I went through and weighed 300 softballs and 99 of them were over 6.50 oz. I took them out and my next two DC 41's both have 1000 swings on them. I also tested each of them on 4 spots. One tested 200-211-215-219 and one tested 215-220-220-225. Both bats have at least 1000 swings on them. NO 40 cor or stadium balls is the key.

BruceinGa

always online
Right on pj3p. If I remember correctly tatooball mentioned that about 6 years ago-ASA balls are heavier while ISA balls are lighter, down near 6.5.
I did the same as you, weighed all of my bp balls and excluded (sold on craigslist) the ones 7.0 or heavier.

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
If your scale is accurate you should really go to 6.5 or less. The majority of my heavy ones were 6.65 to 6.80. Kevin has 7000 swings on his original Nightmare and he only hits balls 6.50 or less. I was hitting the heavier balls with mine and broke 3 in a row at 1100 swings. My current one is now past 1200 and not getting the straight line cracks that the others did. BTW I tested my scale weighing quarters. If I remember right it is 5 per ounce and I checked my scale with 30 quarters for 6 oz. it read 5.99. To simplify weighing the balls I zeroed the scale with a gatorade cap on it to keep the balls from rolling off. Then I wrote the weight on each ball with a sharpie.

Ken07

Well its a great stick MIke. I did see you swinging it on youtube and congrats on losing the weight. No one would ever guess you have the new hip as well as you were hitting. Nicely done and good luck with the model.

6BALL

plumber/pipe fter red #6
well miken did me good on my busted bat my new one came yesterday and a big thanks to mighty mike for the help and keep up the good work mike.i know since u live in ohio its hard to do anything outside at this time good luck on getting back in the game and with miken making a better product standing be hind it also email what they found on why it broke thanks 6ball.

mightymike

Addicted to Softballfans
6Ball, thank you for the kind words. I am glad I was able to help. I will try my best and deliver good Senior products. That is the name of the game. The arena for Senior Softball bats has grown larger than any other area of softball in the last few years. This makes for all of the manufacturers to try and out do each other. When they are doing that it also makes for better product. Once again glad I was able to help. Thanks Bruce for the Thumbs Up also. Just trying to help...

Mighty Mike Macenko

mightymike

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure yet Bruce. If I can make it I will. It would be good to see some old faces and hit some in a very nice climate at this time of year.
I went to hit today because the temp was right at 58. Forgot it rained all day yesterday. Went to field and it was muddy as heck.
So I am going to try again tomorrow but it is supposed to rain some more. Sure wish I lived down south. Might be done for hitting
outside this year. Have to be careful, don't want to hit when it is too cold.

Mighty Mike Macenko

BruceinGa

always online
72 here today but this was the first day in about 10 that it hasn't rained.
Our senior team is playing the veteran's team from Vet Sports this Friday. Should be fun.
I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Don1952

Addicted to Softballfans
Big Cat vs Dudley

Hey Dave , how would you compare the Big Cat to the Dudley Lightning ? Which one would you consider is the best for distance and durability? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Don

Ken07

Mike,
I hit Dave (Pops) Norths 26ozer today. He has less than 100 swings on it. I never swing that light but with the endload the bat felt pretty good. With my back issues, maybe the lighter bat just felt good too, but it was a very very good performing stick at less that 100 swings. Super bat and a winner for you and Miken. ball just jmped off the barrell and the feel of the ball strike was great.

ansay

Addicted to Softballfans
miken black maxload

I have 2 dudley in there nice but this new miken is hitting it further after 500 swings with hard balls it developed a small crack still got another 75 swings distance was unreal this bat had me looking good.

mightymike

Addicted to Softballfans
Your friend that broke it less than 300 swings, did he contact anyone about the bat. If I can help I will. You just need to talk to the right people. What is your friends name? Thank You.

Mighty Mike Macenko
aka: Gorilla Boy

Playr4

Coach
Your friend that broke it less than 300 swings, did he contact anyone about the bat. If I can help I will. You just need to talk to the right people. What is your friends name? Thank You.

Mighty Mike Macenko

Just called my friend. he said he was hitting the bat when it was less than 60 degrees. Had closer to 500 hits on it. He said he threw the bat out. He went ahead and bought another one.

Much appreciated.

mightymike

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for letting me know. 60 degrees is tough on bats. If you have a swing that misses the ball and still hits it a long way then you can sometimes get away with that. With my swing I usually miss the ball. I do not smash the ball, hitting it dead flush, nothing wrong with that, that is part of hitting. Players have different swings from one player to another. Hope he gets 1000 swings out of his next one...

Mighty Mike Macenko