2017 Easton Helmer Flex Review

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Just got this bat in before the release date. The bat tested at 275 in the wrapper and then I put 100 swings on it with Evil Bp Rockets. Field is 300 in corners and 310 in center.

Weighting- the bat felt great with the half ounce endload. I was never a fan of the progressive endloading system on some Easton bats. The bat sticker weight was 27.5oz. On the scale NIW with grip was 27.7oz. Peeled the wrapper and grip off and it scaled at 26.8oz. I added a lite Vulcan and the bat scaled at 27.3oz.

Distance and Pop: first 25 swings were nothing spectacular. Barrel felt crisp. Distance was around 290-300. 26-50 swings I could tell it was slowly opening up. Swings 50-100 was more of a change. Distance was clearing the fence and hit a couple 315ish. Bat tested at 270 after those 100 swings with evil rockets.

Looks: the green is pretty awful to look at but it might grow on some the more you swing it. The new grip was worn down after those 100 swings so I slapped the Vulcan on it.

Overall thoughts: will this bat convert millions from Miken/Worth? No. The pop out of the wrapper just isn't there yet. After 100 swings on my Headbanger it tested at 245 (270 NIW). So the new Helmer Flex might take time to get as hot but should be several rounds of Bp with harder balls. I think this was a good move on Eastons part to make a 12inch Flex tech bat but it's got a lot of great competition in the 12inch market.

DISCLAIMER ***--don't laugh at my Rec league swings and no jokes about my swamp ass! It was 75 degrees in Nc in January!

Update:
Bat is nearing 300 swings.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Nice little write up. You should update this from time to time as the bat gets more swings on it. Glad to hear it doesn't test too low out of the wrapper or lose compression too fast.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
This one doesn't sound like your typical IMX Easton either. There's this one bat store on YouTube that compression tests bats NIW. They said the hottest demo bats they had were the KF30 and the 16 Flex both at 190, so this one will probably get nasty with some swings. I plan on getting an Avocado as my return for my 16 Flex

joeym

Manager
This one doesn't sound like your typical IMX Easton either. There's this one bat store on YouTube that compression tests bats NIW. They said the hottest demo bats they had were the KF30 and the 16 Flex both at 190, so this one will probably get nasty with some swings. I plan on getting an Avocado as my return for my 16 Flex

It's not imx, so it shouldn't sound like imx.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not imx, so it shouldn't sound like imx.

Let me elaborate, I was trying to say that the new Helmer doesn't sound like older IMX when they were brand new, just like the 16 Flex doesn't, I know they are TCT. My Flex had a CRACK sound from the get go.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Quick update: Had some time to put another 100 swings on the Helmer Flex today. Still hit the same evil bp rockets and this bat hit another gear.

The end of the first round (25 balls) the barrel lost the crisp sound and feel. Distance was more consistent at 310.

Second and third rounds: sweetspot was more forgiving and barrel felt soft and much more distance. 320ish. Bat was hanging with my well broken in Freak 12 and 100 swing Headbanger.

Last round everything felt really good. Classic ms were even very close to the rockets. The last ball I hit was a Launch650 (very old) and the pic (below) was the distance on it.

Needless to say, this bat has begun to really impress me. I'm going out to bp it tomorrow with live pitching and give my teammates a chance to swing it. Might get some more footage.

[/URL]

sscroggin

Yada Yada Yada
Love the sound of this. I was a little discouraged after the initial review. I know I'll put at least 500 swings on it before the season starts up. Word on the street is the headbanger is the bat to have this year and if the helmer is hanging right now or even close I'll take the feel of an Easton all day.

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
Good news for Easton maybe? We just got our full pallet of bats in so I hope they start to contend.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The end of the first round (25 balls) the barrel lost the crisp sound and feel....

Second and third rounds: sweetspot was more forgiving and barrel felt soft and much more distance.[/URL]

So 300~ hits with mixed balls, just like '16 Flex and then some consistency before getting too soft too fast?

I read it as 100 hits the first day, "lost the crisp sound and feel" by 125 hits, and "barrel felt soft" by 150-175 hits. Good to see it performing well with less break-in, but this whole "barrel softness" thing has me worried.

I'm loving my utrip Reckoning because it still feels crisp as it breaks in and I was hoping the new line would feel the same..

THESHOE

Starting Player
Same.

My Flex is hot, but still has a nice crips Easton crack about it. Love it especially on the super hot days when the ball feels too soft. The crack feels great and seems to get a good piece of it.

Can't speak to the '17 line yet but demo night is coming soon. This week's is the new Nighthawk. Stoked for that.

I read it as 100 hits the first day, "lost the crisp sound and feel" by 125 hits, and "barrel felt soft" by 150-175 hits. Good to see it performing well with less break-in, but this whole "barrel softness" thing has me worried.

I'm loving my utrip Reckoning because it still feels crisp as it breaks in and I was hoping the new line would feel the same..

milesej05

The Rookie
Keep hitting the BP rockets and getting your hopes up. I finally had a chance to hit some of them last year and they are stupid. It takes nothing at all to hit it out of a 300' fence.

I'll stick to using old game balls for BP.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Keep hitting the BP rockets and getting your hopes up. I finally had a chance to hit some of them last year and they are stupid. It takes nothing at all to hit it out of a 300' fence.

but isn't that what Evil made the bp ball for? Batting practice? Maybe I've been wrong all this time :(

milesej05

The Rookie
but isn't that what Evil made the bp ball for? Batting practice? Maybe I've been wrong all this time :(

Yes, meant for BP. But what is the point of a ball that weighs less than a game ball and flys consistently 30-70' farther than a game ball? Gets your willy wet but then you (noobs) go into a game and get disappointed.

Maybe the ones I hit were flukes, but they don't hold up as well as the Thunder Hycon Classic Plus balls that I have in my BP bag.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Yes, meant for BP. But what is the point of a ball that weighs less than a game ball and flys consistently 30-70' farther than a game ball? Gets your willy wet but then you (noobs) go into a game and get disappointed.

Maybe the ones I hit were flukes, but they don't hold up as well as the Thunder Hycon Classic Plus balls that I have in my BP bag.

That would be a question for Buggs. Xrock classic ms werent far behind the bp rockets.

The only thing that gets my willy wet is.......your mom :D:eek::oops:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
.52 balls are the way to go for BP. They don't wear your bat out and actually take a little skill to hit well. Pretty much all I hit anymore. With today's bats, hitting .44 375s or classic Ms in BP will lead to lots and lots of broken bats. The bats are meant to be gamed, not BP'd.

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans

Off topic but I get more distance with my Eastons from 52's than Rockets. The Rockets are great for helping to break in my Eastons, but the Evil's are about 20-30' behind the 52's for me. Bats in question are '14L1 and ST100.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
BP specific balls haha.
hqdefault.jpg.cf_zps6hycbgs6.jpg

BRAINTRAIN

Addicted to Softballfans
So 300~ hits with mixed balls, just like '16 Flex and then some consistency before getting too soft too fast?

We have 400-500 hits on the new helmer. Change feel around 100 hits. Now it's hard to put down. Still has the Easton sound and feel But broke in fast. Excited to swing this outside and see what some distance.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
Update video posted. Bat is near 300 swings now.

Bat is also starting to show some webbing.

[/URL]

Last edited: