2018 texas legend, but it ain't nothing like Texas.

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
You'd be right. And then you'd never work another conference game ever again. Those guys have a half dollar strike zone for strike one, an it becomes a dime for strike two.

Calling out a major player on strikes aint worth when your making 25/game

If you watch the game, there were 2 major players that got rung up.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i'm just happy that we now have a thread talking about the bat ball combo are too good and the best players should be on a bigger field with 52s and the game was a joke. so much better than the thread from not too long ago that said the best players with 52s on a baseball field was the worst thing ever. just goes to show, nobody likes watching slowpitch

Country469

they hit hot dots in florida into a strong wind. Literally the ****tiest balls on earth. Carl actually did something smart that day and made sure the power game was more equal. He still lost tho.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
the sponsors can literally vote any rule they want into place. Its the guys fronting the 100k a year for these teams that get to make the calls, not the players getting an envelope with 1500 cash.
I heard they proposed a courtesy runner for every pitcher in the conference to speed up the games since you wouldn't be waiting on them to gear back up, and one pitcher stopped it all because he didn't want it.

DynamicD

Addicted to Softballfans
I heard they proposed a courtesy runner for every pitcher in the conference to speed up the games since you wouldn't be waiting on them to gear back up, and one pitcher stopped it all because he didn't want it.

That rule was put into effect this year.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with playing with 52's and hitting on bigger fields. They would have to put their best full swings on it to get it out with the 52's on big fields.

There isn’t a ton of parks around the country to host a conference schedule at with giant fields.

We played with 52s at the Houston Major at the BLD in League City and it was the same thing. The rumor was they’d be using those balls at all conference tournaments with 300’ fences, but between Houston and Euless that changed. Just like they were playing with enforcing the batters box rule in Houston until the big dogs complained a bunch. That rule literally went away mid tournament.

Infielders don’t like the 52s on dirt because of how bouncy and unpredictable they are. Classic Ms are much more predictable and tend to stay down. Besides, Classic Ms aren’t exactly rocks in the summer in Texas - they’re nothing like the stadium balls.

But the most important thing is that bat companies and big sponsors are running the ship. 500’ homeruns sell bats. Bat sales float the whole industry.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
There isn’t a ton of parks around the country to host a conference schedule at with giant fields.

We played with 52s at the Houston Major at the BLD in League City and it was the same thing. The rumor was they’d be using those balls at all conference tournaments with 300’ fences, but between Houston and Euless that changed. Just like they were playing with enforcing the batters box rule in Houston until the big dogs complained a bunch. That rule literally went away mid tournament.

Infielders don’t like the 52s on dirt because of how bouncy and unpredictable they are. Classic Ms are much more predictable and tend to stay down. Besides, Classic Ms aren’t exactly rocks in the summer in Texas - they’re nothing like the stadium balls.

But the most important thing is that bat companies and big sponsors are running the ship. 500’ homeruns sell bats. Bat sales float the whole industry.

This is true, but the bat/ball combo used now has also eroded the game in general. Softball has become a farce. The sanctions followed the money trail and we now have a game that doesn't even really resemble what we used to have.

If CUSSSA cared about player safety and the game in general they'd have already implemented the C+ ball for all events on 300' fields. The bats would be much deader too.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
If CUSSSA cared about player safety and the game in general they'd have already implemented the C+ ball for all events on 300' fields. The bats would be much deader too.

Safety wise, and I’m saying this as an infielder and not a pitcher, I feel safer with the Classic M. Batted ball speed doesn’t seem any faster to me between the two, and the Classic Ms take truer hops.

We played Smash It at Texas Legends with the Classic Ms and it was fine I thought.

Crappy dirt infields are the biggest safety issue to me. If all conference events were on turf it’d be a big improvement safetywise.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
I also have no idea what softball was like back in the day. Since I started playing it’s been a constant downward trend in batted ball speed with the new bat and ball standards the last 6 years or so.

Dudes are definitely getting bigger and stronger though. Especially top to bottom on conference rosters. The boom of T clinics has been a big factor.

trippy1313

Starting Player
I
i bet the guys who play at the highest level have the ear of the association more than anyone on here. if they wanted a change to the game at their level, they could make it happen. random people complaining and making suggestions on the internet about guys 5-8 levels above them is dumb

Good point Joker. And exactly why I play Rec. I filled in a couple times in an unlimited HR league, 310' fences.

I might as well have sat on the fence. Guys laughing when their teammates didnt hit a homer. Least fun I've ever had playing. I hit two over myself but the game ended in the third due to time. Innings took around 20 minutes, no thanks.

Rec league for me. 1 and done or progressive.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Safety wise, I feel much safer pitching ASA with 52/300 as opposed to classic M’s. As a batter, I could care less, unless it’s cold weather I don’t notice much of a difference in distance with the 52s and ASA bats or the M and utrip bats but I feel like the ball speed off the bat is a bit slower with the ASA combo even though the flight travel ends up being closed to the same.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
This is true, but the bat/ball combo used now has also eroded the game in general. Softball has become a farce. The sanctions followed the money trail and we now have a game that doesn't even really resemble what we used to have.

I would love to see the Classic M go away everywhere - they get way too hard under 70 degrees. The Classic Plus can still be hit out with regularity by decent league players, so I can't imagine the CUSSSA guys having issues hitting them out. Plus, the Classic Plus does way less damage to players upon impact then a Classic M.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I would love to see the Classic M go away everywhere - they get way too hard under 70 degrees. The Classic Plus can still be hit out with regularity by decent league players, so I can't imagine the CUSSSA guys having issues hitting them out. Plus, the Classic Plus does way less damage to players upon impact then a Classic M.

I agree with all of this. We use classic + for USSSA tournies here in CO. The temps can vary wildly (30s to 90s). The ball performs well in all of those temp ranges without becoming a rock and damaging bats or whomever it hits.

I simply think classic M balls are too temperature sensitive to be viable. I have no clue how they got approved in the first place.

Good classic + balls will still go 400' with a good swing. They aren't hard to homer.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Yeah, but you're a beast with any ball and you're in CO. At sea level with 90+ degree temps and 90% humidity most balls are like hitting socks. When it's 60-80 degrees everything flies, and colder than that is crazy. But how do you even things out across the country, change balls based on temps/altitude?

jhitman

Yeah, but you're a beast with any ball and you're in CO. At sea level with 90+ degree temps and 90% humidity most balls are like hitting socks. When it's 60-80 degrees everything flies, and colder than that is crazy. But how do you even things out across the country, change balls based on temps/altitude?

I agree 100% with this. It's about 90 every day here and the humidity is almost always high. The balls turn to socks/wet sponges most nights and go nowhere. That's why I look forward to Fall ball here. Once the temps and humidity drops these balls fly pretty well.

Country469

Nope, you raise the test # on the bats to 300 from 220.

dunkky

in that case, people with legitimate power and skill should hit bombs. I play in N. Texas and it ain't exactly hitting friendly climate, but still i see people with excellent power and technique launch bombs. I am not one of them, but at least i won't get hurt badly. So, i don't mind seeing 52s being used every where.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree 100% with this. It's about 90 every day here and the humidity is almost always high. The balls turn to socks/wet sponges most nights and go nowhere. That's why I look forward to Fall ball here. Once the temps and humidity drops these balls fly pretty well.

Well, if you used a decent C+ ball the climate wouldn't affect them as much. I've hit classic Ms in FL. They're terrible. I just can't fathom that USSSA has accepted a ball that is so temperature sensitive for use at the highest levels.

Classic Ms are freaking junk. They only perform how they're supposed to in that magical temperature window from about 75-85 degrees. Other than that they're either bat breaking rocks or super mush that won't fly no matter what bat you hit them with.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Nope, you raise the test # on the bats to 300 from 220.

I agree with this too. I own several bats that test at 300 or higher. They will still hit HRs without too much of a fuss. It does bring the element of skill back a bit by raising the bat compression minimum though.

jhitman

Well, if you used a decent C+ ball the climate wouldn't affect them as much. I've hit classic Ms in FL. They're terrible. I just can't fathom that USSSA has accepted a ball that is so temperature sensitive for use at the highest levels.

Classic Ms are freaking junk. They only perform how they're supposed to in that magical temperature window from about 75-85 degrees. Other than that they're either bat breaking rocks or super mush that won't fly no matter what bat you hit them with.

We have the Evils and they are okay in the cooler less humid conditions but absolute sponges in the heat. Hit NX3's and Tattoo's and they seem to fare much better. We used to have the days where you had to be careful with your 3-5 Hr's not to hit solos. Last night I played and saw a total of 3 games in the heat and 1 HR was hit for the night. It's unfortunate but because of the balls a lot of the senior guys are opting to play more senior tournaments and less league ball. They use senior bats and 44 cor 375 comp softballs in those tournaments.

cbeeb34

Addicted to Softballfans
In my opinion, this is one sad game. it was supposed to be a showdown between sis and dan smith. just look at the game here. guys can't have their natural swing cuz they don't want to hit over the fence. they are chopping it, lunging it, looping it, whatever. I mean they look damn uncomfortable. so many accidental bombs too. those hot bats, 300 ft fence, classic M are not working for these strong guys. come on now. either they need to hit 52s, or they need to play in bigger fields. I do not want to see Harvey pushing the ball awkwardly but guess what? he still hit it over the fence and unhappy about it. by the way, sis has one scary line up now. just look at the damage newly acquired John williams and flipp washington from monsta have done in this game. it's unreal now, top to bottom except maybe dd jr.

you get that tournament every year.... the smokey… all these dudes can hit it 300+ feet easily. I wanna see what they can do hen they run out of HRs

Hiltz

Built for comfort
you get that tournament every year.... the smokey… all these dudes can hit it 300+ feet easily. I wanna see what they can do hen they run out of HRs

I wanna see what they can do with a tame bat/ball combo that isn't easy to hit out.