2018 Worth Legit XL Review (Harvey)

saintrules

Just hit my Harvey ASA in games last night for the first time since getting it 2 weeks ago. My teammate and I hit 3 out between us. Considering we are both 60 years old, temps were in the low 90's with about 75% or more humidity I was impressed with the way it hits the 52's. This will be my gamer going forward. Love the feel of the bat and it just swings smooth.

Haven't updated this in a while because there just isn't anything to say other than exactly what you said. This stick is the cream of the crop for me and is a bat I think could appeal to a ton of people, especially in the 26-27 oz.

Used it this past Monday, 4/5 with three of those being screaming liners to the outfield. Kind of got all hands on them, but had I got my weight into them, I wouldn't have been surprised if I watched all three go well past 300...well past.

It checks all of my personal boxes of what I needed in a bat. Fantastic feel, massive sweetspot, stiffer handle, and so far, durability.

Normy

Haven't updated this in a while because there just isn't anything to say other than exactly what you said. This stick is the cream of the crop for me and is a bat I think could appeal to a ton of people, especially in the 26-27 oz.

Used it this past Monday, 4/5 with three of those being screaming liners to the outfield. Kind of got all hands on them, but had I got my weight into them, I wouldn't have been surprised if I watched all three go well past 300...well past.

It checks all of my personal boxes of what I needed in a bat. Fantastic feel, massive sweetspot, stiffer handle, and so far, durability.
I was thinking about a 28 oz. Not appealing as in most people don't swing 28's or too much end load or?

saintrules

I was thinking about a 28 oz. Not appealing as in most people don't swing 28's or too much end load or?

There is a considerable difference between the 26 and 27, but a gigantic difference between a 26 and 28. The 26 feels balanced, through and through. I swung it a few times, then an EST Balanced, and it's practically the exact same thing if you closed your eyes. The 27 is nowhere near a sledge hammer, but you can tell there's EL. The 28 on the other hand begins getting into the heavier territory, and for me, that's a no go. It's not quite a DC41, 1 oz EL, hammer, but you get heavy enough where I think it does more detriment than good for most batters.

I used the term, "appealing", because I think the majority of players would favor the 26-27 as only one, maybe two guys in every lineup are actually capable/should be swinging the heavier loads.

Last edited:

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
28 is the way to go

although as stated most everyone swings less.... leaves the 28's & up for us :cool:
I usually swing a 27 oz 1 oz EL bat. I bought a 28 Border Battle Legit, and it doesn't feel heavy at all. It swings nice and smooth, and probably swings almost exactly as the ASA Harvey does. MY BB actually hits 52s better than it does 44s. 52s kind of feel like they just bounce off the barrel, and go a very long ways.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Follow up, the 28 Border Battle feels about the same as my 27 oz. DC41 weight wise, but the EL isn't as pronounced. Bonus of a lot of players thinking a 28 oz bat is too heavy for them to swing, so my bat will last a lot longer.

96packers

OG Titletown
Follow up, the 28 Border Battle feels about the same as my 27 oz. DC41 weight wise, but the EL isn't as pronounced. Bonus of a lot of players thinking a 28 oz bat is too heavy for them to swing, so my bat will last a lot longer.
and that's a bonus!

BTW what year BB Legit?

saintrules

Brought my 2017 Easton Flex out of my bag for a BP session to compare it to the Harvey. Haven't hit another bat in a good month since I've gotten the Legit, so I was curious how it would fare on the tee.

Dear freaking lord, it ain't even close.

I try and explain to guys on my team's who don't know as much about bats, where exactly the Harvey lies in terms of performance vs. more budget friendly sticks. The difference is so substantial, it's basically like saying the Harvey is the Ferrari/Lamborghini of the bat realm, and the Flex is more like the entry level BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. Sure, the Flex seems pretty good, but then you bring out the Legit and it's check mate.

What a piece of equipment. I am ever so slightly nervous about it's durability. The webbing is pretty substantial and it's probably racked up near 400 hits at this point, maybe 500. It's one of those things where I rip a few and check the endcap or spots on the bat, thinking I'll likely see a crack. Crossing my fingers it stays intact, for the longhaul...if not, break now so I can use the warranty.

saintrules

which flex? baker? if so, that's gonna take quite a bit of work...

It's the Weg, and yeah that's definitely something I realized very quickly. I've put somewhere around 500 balls on it so far, and it still feels very stiff. I haven't gamed it since I got it, but I doubt I would be launching them if I brought it in for a few AB's, even now. Just doesn't have the EV, or anywhere near, the higher end sticks.

That being said, I want to like it, I actually LOVE the way if feels in the hands.

saintrules

...so, noticed a couple inch crack forming in the middle of the bat. It's not deep enough to be considered a divot, but enough to when I run my nail along the bat it catches my nail so I realize it's there. What do I do? This is my first bat that's had serious webbing and this potential issue, do I keep using it until it gets worse?

I don't exactly know what I am looking at or for, help appreciated

chile

Bad Ape
Haha, alright...I mean, given I have the one year one warranty, I'd prefer it breaking in say...10 months...

o_O

if you've only had it a short period of time, i'd work on breaking sooner rather than later...you might be able to convince CS to not count it against your warranty. what's the worst they can do? tell you "no?"

saintrules

if you've only had it a short period of time, i'd work on breaking sooner rather than later...you might be able to convince CS to not count it against your warranty. what's the worst they can do? tell you "no?"

Yeah, I'm going to give them a call Monday. I got the bat May 29th, so a crack this early on is suspect.

saintrules

Bat is definitely cracked. Tried using it for a few AB's yesterday hoping I could still use it before shipping it off, but it's making some weird sounds on hits and I'd rather not have it completely crack prior to returning it.

Disappointing, to say the least. I went into Worth/Miken knowing these were not the most durable things out there, but nearly a month and a half into having it, now that's really bad. I'll likely not just only game the replacement bat, but may just be specific for when it's used, just to keep it alive.

Aimology

First off, I am aware there's another thread on this bat, but I don't feel like hijacking it with my lengthy post.

Just got my 2018 Worth Legit XL Ryan Harvey ASA and could not be more excited. It has been a lengthier process in finding the right bat, but I believe I have found my gamer for the time being. Big thanks to guys like chile and shortyellowbus for helping out with some tips/suggestions.

Unwrapped the stick yesterday afternoon and used it for about 50 cuts in the cage (soft toss 52/300) and then in two ASA games where myself, as well as most of my team, used the bat.

Graphics
I am definitely someone who prefers to have their color scheme or looks in a bat. The Harvey is not my absolute favorite (fan of red/black/grey) with the purple and orange, but it does stand out, which is something I do like. One nit picky thing is that the orange bat tape dirties up VERY quickly...it was basically blackish by the end of the first game from black batting gloves, dirt, etc. I do find the Worth logo on the middle section piece a cool touch, adds nice aesthetics.

Feel
I ordered my Harvey in a 26. I am not a big fan of endloads and prefer a stick that feels balanced up and down instead of sledge hammer like. I'll tell you what...I could NOT be more impressed with the overall feel of this thing. The swing is fluid through the zone, but it's workable, you don't have to start your swing and pray the ball floats to your zone, you can wait on it and location control your swing while still getting enough oomph behind it to smack one. The handle is stiff, there's no noticeable flexibility like I was previously experiencing in my Juggy OVL. The feedback is fantastic and I was able to pinpoint exactly where I was connecting with the ball on the bat and many of my teammates would come back knowing what they needed to adjust in their next AB. It does swing very light for a 26, but honestly, it's probably true to weight given the full oz EL sticks feel/are heavier than advertised.

Performance
When I tried my first bat ('17 Easton Flex) earlier this spring, it was a dud, absolutely NO pop out of the wrapper. When I tried my second ('18 Juggy OVL), I was like, "alright, I kinda see what this hot out of wrapper thing is about". Little did I actually understand what hot out of the wrapper actually means... This bat was on fire from the second I peeled my wrapper off and it just got better through BP and the two live games. The sweetspot on the 13.5" barrel is big and it was line drives galore for my club last night. Little guys, big guys, power hitters, contact hitters, it didn't matter, everyone got up there, could use the bat, and make a solid connection. We had contact guys who haven't hit over left field's head in the last two seasons knocking it to the warning track in left center. The combination of power and being able to location drive your shots gives this thing a massive 5/5 in performance.

Durability
Minus the bat tape getting dirty, I didn't notice any other issues. No webbing or chips, just ball marks and that's about it. I will not touch this thing with anything but a 52/300 ASA ball, so if anything does happen, it will strictly be an issue with the bat, not with user ignorance.

Future
It's been a long journey finding the right stick, that's for sure, but I am ridiculously excited to get out on the field again and smack with this thing. If there's anything I will say, it's that I am aware bats are very user preference/opinionated, but I do urge those looking for an EL stick that feels balanced to check this or the EST XL out, I think you'll be impressed.

I'll add some more updates as the days and games move on...'till next time.

I came across this old post as I was recommending people bats like I always so. I like a lot of what you say, because I also swing this, DC-41 and a k23 in my .52/.300 leagues which I have been playing 2 nights a week since july and currently at this moment. That doesnt count for the amount of games I have subbed for people or my doubleheader leagues on sundays or my USSSA leagues and 35+ league with a USSSA/ASA mix rules or tournaments. The reason this is relevant is because the one thing you said, which youre clueless about... is Handle stiffness.

The harvey feels like a paper weight @ 27oz and you will not feel hardly anything unless you make a bad connection towards the handle or very end of the bat. Its a Three piece bat, which means a TON of flex, the total opposite of what youre saying. I have never ever felt 1 of my home runs, let alone any shot Ive hit in game with now over 500 + swings on the bat. The only hits I "kinda feel" are when I hit it on the very end towards the end cap, but even those are eh... They also have a gentle feel. You need to swing a real bat thats stiff like a Flippper

saintrules

I came across this old post as I was recommending people bats like I always so. I like a lot of what you say, because I also swing this, DC-41 and a k23 in my .52/.300 leagues which I have been playing 2 nights a week since july and currently at this moment. That doesnt count for the amount of games I have subbed for people or my doubleheader leagues on sundays or my USSSA leagues and 35+ league with a USSSA/ASA mix rules or tournaments. The reason this is relevant is because the one thing you said, which youre clueless about... is Handle stiffness.

The harvey feels like a paper weight @ 27oz and you will not feel hardly anything unless you make a bad connection towards the handle or very end of the bat. Its a Three piece bat, which means a TON of flex, the total opposite of what youre saying. I have never ever felt 1 of my home runs, let alone any shot Ive hit in game with now over 500 + swings on the bat. The only hits I "kinda feel" are when I hit it on the very end towards the end cap, but even those are eh... They also have a gentle feel. You need to swing a real bat thats stiff like a Flippper

I think through context clues you could have understood my point, despite me calling the Harvey stiff or saying there wasn't a lot of flex. I was comparing the Harvey to that of the Juggy OVL, a stick that has probably the oddest flex tech/feel out there.

In no way shape nor form is the Harvey stiff, as I do also have numerous one piece bats that are truly stiff.

I've made the correction to the OP, thanks for your input.

saintrules

Just got the new EST Comp XL today in the mail, let's see what this thing can do. I expect the same performance as the Harvey, after all, it's basically the same thing with a wonderful pink paint job, LOL...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, however, is this thing a four piece as opposed to the Harvey as a three piece? The EST XL has a connection piece where the Harvey didn't, so it has more of a Miken Freak 20th anni look & feel compared to the Harvey.

Not sure if I will game it out of the wrapper, we'll see.

Normy

Just got the new EST Comp XL today in the mail, let's see what this thing can do. I expect the same performance as the Harvey, after all, it's basically the same thing with a wonderful pink paint job, LOL...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, however, is this thing a four piece as opposed to the Harvey as a three piece? The EST XL has a connection piece where the Harvey didn't, so it has more of a Miken Freak 20th anni look & feel compared to the Harvey.

I'd at least give it 100 52's to loosen it up. My 17 BB Legit finally felt game ready after about 200 hits or so.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans

Can you check if you notice more handle flex in the XL than Harvey? The Flex 50 in the Harvey is suppose to be stiffer.

saintrules

Used a teammates in a live game who had around 115 cuts on it & mine fresh outta the wrapper in BP.

Performance is a five out of five, really no question about it. First two AB's went yard and honestly I gave about 75% on the swing. There's definitely flex and the feedback is pretty minimal, I have no idea where I hit those two on the sweetspot. When I hit it off the handle or the end cap, I can tell, but otherwise it's a guess at best.

As for mine, fresh out of the wrapper, the performance isn't there just yet. It's by no means cold, but it's somewhere between that and hot. We hit a couple 300' shots and some hard liners, but I think about 100 total cuts will get it where it needs to be.

Awesome stick & the pink is actually pretty damn cool in person.

saintrules

Somewhere around 150 cuts on it & the sound is beginning to change. When I get it right on the sweet spot, the crack is insane, some of the hardest hit balls I've ever had off the tee.

No webbing at the moment, honestly ball marks are even few and far between. The grip seems kind of suspect, which is odd considering the Harvey's was pretty durable...maybe mine was built lazily.

It's still not 100% game ready, but I'll probably use it for a couple AB's.

saintrules

First official AB with the stick, 350' rocket of a HR. Would go on to snag four more hard hit balls in the game, really solid piece. The flex tech is definitely looser than the Harvey was, you can immediately tell the difference. The stick feels nearly identical to the Freak 20th anni, for comparison purposes.

Prior to the game, no webbing. After a few AB's, webbing. Durability is a concern given the bat's track record, crossing fingers I don't run into an issue.