27 oz Nightmare review

hitman1313

Addicted to Softballfans
nightmare

not a big time hitter but i am not happy with my 27oz nightmare yet either. using trump stotes and my reebok out hits it by far. have about 150 hits on it,

Phil Stevens

Addicted to Softballfans
I have put about 200 swings on my 27oz. and I'm starting to like the feel of this. I hit my worth Legit against it today, and hit 6 out with the Nightmare and 0 with the Legit. The Legit is well broken in, 1400+ swings and the Nightmare s right at 200.

LC77

Manager
100 line drive hits off the Tee tonight with Evil Rockets. Typical new bat stiffness. Good pop. Started to open up a little at about 60 ish. No paint issues. Ready for live bp Sunday.

tattooball

Phil if you have 1400 on the other bat I will talk to you in about 6 years. You wont be needing a new one for a long time.

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got about 400 swings on my 27oz Nightmare now (all 52/300 Hot Dots) and it's starting to feel really good. I'm sure the break in would have been a quicker process if I was hitting 44/375s. I've hit the Nightmare side by side with the Big Cat and the 13" EL Dudley Lightning and it easily keeps up with these bats in distance when you hit it on the screws, however, at this point I find it less forgiving based on the size of the sweet spot. There was a noticeable change in the bat around 120 swings and again around the 300 swing mark. The texture on the barrel also helps with spinning the ball which is a real benefit hitting the hot dot. I've got a buddy who is supposed to bring me some 44/375s this weekend so it will be interesting to see the difference hitting these. So far from what I've experienced I think this bat is only going to keep getting better and be a great combination of performance and durability.

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
I've got about 400 swings on my 27oz Nightmare now (all 52/300 Hot Dots) and it's starting to feel really good. I'm sure the break in would have been a quicker process if I was hitting 44/375s. I've hit the Nightmare side by side with the Big Cat and the 13" EL Dudley Lightning and it easily keeps up with these bats in distance when you hit it on the screws, however, at this point I find it less forgiving based on the size of the sweet spot. There was a noticeable change in the bat around 120 swings and again around the 300 swing mark. The texture on the barrel also helps with spinning the ball which is a real benefit hitting the hot dot. I've got a buddy who is supposed to bring me some 44/375s this weekend so it will be interesting to see the difference hitting these. So far from what I've experienced I think this bat is only going to keep getting better and be a great combination of performance and durability.

I agree that it is really difficult to break in a bat with 52's. It is also difficult to measure performance with 52's. You will love hitting the 44-375's .

phil123

Addicted to Softballfans
After hitting with pj3p today, it was obvious that there was no comparison between his 27 ounce Nightmare bat and my new 27 ounce 13 inch EL Lightning bat or my 27 ounce broken in balanced Legit bat. I have always loved my Legit bats and still do; however, the Nightmare easily hit the ball past both of my bats. I took just a few swings with the Nightmare and could not believe how far the ball was traveling and how solid the bat actually felt during contact. There was NO comparison. As a matter of fact, my Legit broke today during BP after a total of no more than 450 swings. I am sick and tired of breaking softball bats and not only does the Nightmare last considerably longer but hits the ball considerably farther. As a result, when I arrived home I made a few phone calls and then sold my new 27 ounce 13 inch EL Lightning and a new, still in the wrapper 27 ounce Legit. Once I sold my bats, I then with a big smile on my face ordered my very own 27 ounce Nightmare bat. I look forward to getting it soon.

phil123

Addicted to Softballfans
Yank, I know what you mean regarding wondering "if it's all hype." I have often thought the same thing about other bats especially since there are so many softball bats that are initially marketed as the being the latest and the greatest. I have known pj3p for over 30 years; he has NEVER lead me wrong regarding the quality and performance of any softball bat. I believe when he is not talking or writing about softball, he is either thinking about softball or is dreaming about softball. What is not hype is the fact that he normally destroys any senior bat in just a few hundred swings. His first 27 ounce Nightmare lasted over 1,000 swings, which is considerably more that ANY other senior bat that he has used. I was shocked that he did not break his first Nightmare until over 1,000 swings. He also hits the ball a long, long way (ESPECIALLY with the Nightmare). As a matter of fact, he almost always swings a bat as if it will be the last time that he will ever swing a bat again for the rest of his life. You may think that the Nightmare reviews could be hype; but, if you ever get a chance to play against Pat or myself, you may be the one who will be having a Nightmare.

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
Thanks Phil, but as I have told others.... not everyone can or will like swinging a bat with a big end load. As you have told me the 27 Nightmare swings easier than one would think after just holding it. There is no doubt that the Nightmare is an incredible bat. Maybe the best bat I have ever used. But no bat is just right for everyone. Kevin may as well have designed this bat for me. It is almost a perfect fit. If I could just get him to make me a 27.5 :banghead:

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Yank, I know what you mean regarding wondering "if it's all hype." I have often thought the same thing about other bats especially since there are so many softball bats that are initially marketed as the being the latest and the greatest. I have known pj3p for over 30 years; he has NEVER lead me wrong regarding the quality and performance of any softball bat. I believe when he is not talking or writing about softball, he is either thinking about softball or is dreaming about softball. What is not hype is the fact that he normally destroys any senior bat in just a few hundred swings. His first 27 ounce Nightmare lasted over 1,000 swings, which is considerably more that ANY other senior bat that he has used. I was shocked that he did not break his first Nightmare until over 1,000 swings. He also hits the ball a long, long way (ESPECIALLY with the Nightmare). As a matter of fact, he almost always swings a bat as if it will be the last time that he will ever swing a bat again for the rest of his life. You may think that the Nightmare reviews could be hype; but, if you ever get a chance to play against Pat or myself, you may be the one who will be having a Nightmare.

I can see that it well could be a nightmare,that is part of the problem looks like Pat could make a broomstick look good so naturally the nightmare looks good and the durability is impressive. Just wonder how much better the performance is to a average hitter than other senior bats.

tattooball

27 swings fine the 28 is a little end loaded for most. The 29 is a beast, I have a new one coming this week to hit. Pat can feed you more info on the feel he has hit both 27 and 28, I just like them as heavy as I can get them.

2bs-into-1bs

I hit like a little girl.
Wow...seems heavy. How does it swing compare to an end loaded Melee?

Thanks.

I've got a 28oz and it doesn't feel too heavy. Took some cuts last week with it and it's gonna take a little bit to get used to the smaller barrel. I never realized how really crappy my swing can be until I hit with a smaller barrelled bat. Ball felt great coming off of it though.

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
27 swings fine the 28 is a little end loaded for most. The 29 is a beast, I have a new one coming this week to hit. Pat can feed you more info on the feel he has hit both 27 and 28, I just like them as heavy as I can get them.

Waiting patiently...

SMFCLAN

MAY I COME IN
Nightmare

My 27 ozer arrived today ... Feels like its well endloaded and the texture on the barrel is`NT smooth like most softball bats ... Will get some bp on it later in the day provided it doesnt rain...

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Hit my 27oz yesterday very good performing bat. If it continues to break in and the durability is as predicted it will be a top senior bat. For me I would never guess it has a 2oz endload without prior knowledge swings very easy for a 2oz.Overall very nice bat.

tattooball

In 10 days I will have 2 new bats made that will blow minds.

I just got back from hitting the 29, right out of the wrapper it was hitting bombs but 50 swings later it was ridiculous. It has 150 on it now we will hit more when it warms up.

MBplayer

Canadian Bat *****
In 10 days I will have 2 new bats made that will blow minds.

I just got back from hitting the 29, right out of the wrapper it was hitting bombs but 50 swings later it was ridiculous. It has 150 on it now we will hit more when it warms up.

Cant wait to see what you got hitting the market next Kevin looking forward to it.

MB:cool:

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Kevin.
Hope one of the new is a ASA that is balanced the same as the nightmare.Would be great to be able to swing the same feeling bat all year when switching between ASA and Senior.