27oz Miken Recoil 250 ASA broke?

34blast

Addicted to Softballfans
How do I tell if its busted or just not broken in?

I bought a 27oz Miken Recoil 250 ASA off ebay last summer. I never did get to use it until recently. It looks pretty good. I went to batting practice and couldn't seem to get any distance with it at all. I'm not familiar with this bat, but it sounds odd.

I took a used combat AV and was hitting about 30 - 50 feet further into the wind. I'm wondering if this Miken bat is useless until broken in or if its broke?

How to tell? Anyone else with one in DFW who could maybe try it out for me PM me?

34blast

Addicted to Softballfans
Alright, I'll keep trying it in BP only for a while. I need to find a real softball batting cage in dfw. My understanding is I can't use it with the yellow balls.

I'm bad at sounds, but it sounds kind of hollow and makes a ping like an old TPS aluminum. The AV sounds like a high pitched crack in comparision, kinds of like a black cat firecracker.

jgoodew

Addicted to Softballfans
yes, don't ever use cage balls on your bats... if you go to a cage, you either to do live pitching or get real balls in the machine.

azsoftball

Whatever
How do I tell if its busted or just not broken in?

I bought a 27oz Miken Recoil 250 ASA off ebay last summer. I never did get to use it until recently. It looks pretty good. I went to batting practice and couldn't seem to get any distance with it at all. I'm not familiar with this bat, but it sounds odd.

I took a used combat AV and was hitting about 30 - 50 feet further into the wind. I'm wondering if this Miken bat is useless until broken in or if its broke?

How to tell? Anyone else with one in DFW who could maybe try it out for me PM me?

If you don't like it and sell it, LMK. I'll may buy it off your hand.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
yes, don't ever use cage balls on your bats... if you go to a cage, you either to do live pitching or get real balls in the machine.

I used cage balls(warm weather). Let a few people take a round with it too. It helped open it up since I didn't have other bp opportunites much. Used it all season after that with no issues. I am not a masher but I am no judy either.

Last edited:

Dee_Bagg

The Veteran
using cage ball does no harm as long as they are they newer lighter ones which almost every cage ive ever seen has

34blast

Addicted to Softballfans
using cage ball does no harm as long as they are they newer lighter ones which almost every cage ive ever seen has

Is it easy to tell? I'm clueless. Both the ones around here they are yellow with dimples. Should they feel lighter than a normal softball or about the same?

Dee_Bagg

The Veteran
Is it easy to tell? I'm clueless. Both the ones around here they are yellow with dimples. Should they feel lighter than a normal softball or about the same?

if they say jugs on the balls they should weigh the same as a regular 12" ball

someone on here posted that they weighed the two side by side and were almost the same

also the dimple balls wont compress your barrel as much as a hard 12" ball, so if they weigh the same, the dimple will do alot less damage to bats

my understanding is the manufacturer excludes bats used in cages because say if a owner of a cage buys one of those bats for cage use, theoretically could be used continually all day long, every day

it would see alot more use than a normal person just using a bat for games or practice, thus break much earlier

34blast

Addicted to Softballfans
Quick update.

I believe the bat is still not fully broken in. I bought it from a female. I guess she didn't hit hard enough with it to break it in. The bat itself looks like it would be broken in to me, but its not. I put about 150 more hits on it. Its still won't hit as far as the combat anti virus, but the gap closed quit a bit. The sound has changed some as well.

I did use it at batting cages, and two batting practice sessions. It seemed to help. I think I'll do both 1 more time and see where it goes.

It also appears there is one really sweat spot on it already. It appears to be further up the bat toward the handle, than I expected. I tend to hit it pretty close to the end typically. It seems better up a little bit from the end right now.