3 and 1 count Swinging ????

mtxwrl

Addicted to Softballfans
This response makes the most sense to me. Maybe its the baseball player in me that makes it to where I'm always looking to swing. The 1st pitch and 3-1 is always most likely to be the best pitches you'll get. If its a for sure strike, I always swing, if its not, I don't. Simple as that. To me, it is less logical letting the count get full just to swing at garbage. I've struck out looking too much by watching balls that I thought were garbage go by. I was taking bp the other day swinging at close pitches and I was able to take the outside pitches opposite and turn on and drive the inside pitches so its ok to swing at balls if you're used to hitting them I guess.

exactly. i was too lazy to break it down like this.

george

Addicted to Softballfans
you guys crack me up..i have seen guys mash the ball for long outs as well as teams winning games because they play smart ball. 3-1 do whats right for the team and not the ego.

fisheye48

Addicted to Softballfans
i will watch if its 3-1 and the guy in front of me walked...if the pitcher cant throw a big yellow ball somewhere over the plate after 5 pitches my odds are he isnt gonna throw a strike for the 6th. im not gonna swing at the junk he is throwing for a piss poor hit to the infielder.

yeah in league (friends and family) i bat fourth and try to hit frist strike no matter count. but the guys on tourny team , think" it's not being a team player" so i don't, but i think were going to have a little talk.i agree that the situation is key, but no outs runers on i'm smashing. thanks guys.

Warbucks79

Addicted to Softballfans
Swinging 3-1 is different for each player and each situation....just depends on the batter, the situation, and who's gotta bat next if a hit is seriously needed....and obviously the ump. Don't fall to 3-2 by looking at a fat pitch then have to hit garbage cause the umps strikezone is the size of a small car

MauriSSio

Part Time Player
We're talking about slowpitch softball, a game where the pitcher underhand the ball to you at an incredibly slow rate. You dont have to make your decision about whether youre going to swing or not before he pitches the ball!!

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
If you bat higher than 600 on a consistent basis.... Go for it. If you don't, or you bat in the lower half of the lineup.. don't swing.
If a walk brings home a run or puts the tying/ winning run on base late in the game... Take the pitch.

This^^^^^ since if it's a strike, the one after will likely look good as well

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I always hit the first or second pitch unless they are retardedly out of the zone. But yeah if I ever see 3-1 I'll swing if it's close.

oppo

Coach
If the pitcher is struggling, don't do him any favors. Make him work. As a pitcher, there is nothing I love more than overly aggressive batters. On the other hand, if he has shown that he can consistently throw strikes when needed and gives you your pitch on 3-1, go ahead and swing or you will likely be chasing the next one. I do this a lot. I will throw the first 2 just outside the strikezone, sometimes intentionally, sometimes trying to just barely catch a corner. Why? Because I know I can hit the next 2 pitches for strikes. Smart hitters make my job tougher and get on base far more often. Aggressive ones make my job much easier and make a lot more outs.

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
If I'm 3 for 3 and getting base hits and not in a slump of batting then 3-1 is getting a very close eye ball. NSA 3-1 I'm swinging. Nothing like striking out by hitting another ball foul.

317Bombs

If I'm 3 for 3 and getting base hits and not in a slump of batting then 3-1 is getting a very close eye ball. NSA 3-1 I'm swinging. Nothing like striking out by hitting another ball foul.

Yeah, the only thing worse than taking a meatball on 3-1 and swinging at garbage on 3-2 is striking out on a foul.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Too many situational variables that factor into this. The game itself would/should dictate whether or not you swing and if you're too dumb to figure out what I am saying then NEVERMIND!!!:D

tyrant

Addicted to Softballfans
with no courtesy = ill think about swinging but it better be the most beautiful thing i have ever seen
with a courtesy = as a pitcher i will watch it.

i have had more walks this year than any previous year and know it could possibly affect a pitcher and/or fielders who watch and hate seeing a free pass

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
my job as a hitter is to get on base and not make an out. Taking a walk is a guaranteed non out 100% of the time...

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Too many situational variables that factor into this. The game itself would/should dictate whether or not you swing and if you're too dumb to figure out what I am saying then NEVERMIND!!!:D

shhhh! reality has no place here :)

knooch21

ancient chinese secret
99.9% of the time the next ball is grooved. If you take it,then the next pitch you're swinging, is his pitch not yours because your dumbass just looked @ a meatball.

theBOMBsquad

Addicted to Softballfans
I won't swing at a 3-1 count because I like it when he throws a meatball strike and then throws something terrible I then chase it.

jackjohn

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a rule that is really different for every hitter.
If you are a masher, this may be the best pitch you see, so swing away. Just dont pop up to the pitcher.
If you are a singles guy with a good eye for the zone, let it go and make the pitcher drop 2 in a row.
If you are somewhere in between, as I am, I believe you have to go by the situation.
If my team is down with nobody on, heck yeah I'm watching. Up big ill swing. Last Thursday we were down 3. Runners on 2nd and 3rd , 1 out. Batter behind me is a ground ball hitter. I swung 2-0 because we had to have the run in from 3rd, I didn't want to walk and create a double play and no run scenario.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
what are thoughts on swinging on 3 and 1 counts ?? i love to, if it's a strike,and most of the time it is . but i know it's looked down on.why?

If you hit for a high average, say .650+, swing whenever you wanna swing. I trust those guys in ANY count because you don't hit that well swinging at garbage.

If you hit under .500, better to take one for the team.

If you hit between .500 and .650, swing if its good, let it go if its not.

Hope that cleared it up.

dgambill85

Banned User
I remove my previous statement. Had a buddy make a good point. Now if you swing at it you better get a hit. But don't blindly take it. I'm the worst 2strike hitter ever. I swing at the next pitch 95% of the time after a strike. So if it's meat kill it. But don't get stuck watching a great pitch and having to swing at a crappy pitch that may or may not be a strike.