31st Annual Snowball Classic

BL18ok

Addicted to Softballfans
The way they do it here is if the pitcher/Fielder is hit and injured becasue the could not react then its tested. If it fails then they send it off reguardless. If it come back just broke in a niw nr bat is given to the batter. Guy was hit in the face 2 years ago. Went into a coma for a few days. Bat went off came back clean, guy actually got the same bat back.

This was a non sactioned event. There is no way they would send that thing of. If it was sactioned they would have to send it off or the pitcher could have legal action against the assocation. Is the pitcher alright?

kgvv

Addicted to Softballfans
The way they do it here is if the pitcher/Fielder is hit and injured becasue the could not react then its tested. If it fails then they send it off reguardless. If it come back just broke in a niw nr bat is given to the batter. Guy was hit in the face 2 years ago. Went into a coma for a few days. Bat went off came back clean, guy actually got the same bat back.

This was a non sactioned event. There is no way they would send that thing of. If it was sactioned they would have to send it off or the pitcher could have legal action against the assocation. Is the pitcher alright?

I believe even if it was a nonsanctioned event the injured player could still have legal opportunities if it is shaved.

BWitt

Bat flipping with style!
The pitcher is alright, he continued to pitch in the game, and even played the game with respect. No one tried to go middle, and while I agree that some bats need to be sent off. In this type of tournament, if the pitcher would have pursued legal action, I'm sure the City of Denison would have assisted him in any way possible. Personally if it was me, and I felt like it was shaved, I would pay to have it sent off.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Its been a couple of hours and I am still pissed off about this crap. I dont care if it is Jeff Hall...if the bat fails it gets sent the F*** off you gutless coward...

It didn't matter if it failed or not. He was playing a no sanction tourney he can't be banned.

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans
Regardless of whether or not the pitcher was ok the bat FAILED the compression test....FAILED...and you guys are gonna sit there and defend this guy. Guessing your bag must be full of glass as well. I dont give a crap if it is sanctioned...send the bat off and make an example of the guy. Even if he isnt suspended let it be known that the douchebag was not only caught swinging a shaved bat but was caught by hitting a defenseless player in the face.

Let me guess your next response will be that it was the pitchers fault for being hit. He had 2 beers earlier in the day and wasnt able to field his postion. I am so damn sick of these cowardly douche bags defending those who swing illegal bats. Would you feel the same way if it was YOUR pitcher that had been hit. What if the guy would of lost vision in his eye, had to have corrective surgery, brain damage, or worse yet death. Would you clowns still be saying "o it was an unsanctioned event, no harm no foul" give me a break...

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Regardless of whether or not the pitcher was ok the bat FAILED the compression test....FAILED...and you guys are gonna sit there and defend this guy. Guessing your bag must be full of glass as well. I dont give a crap if it is sanctioned...send the bat off and make an example of the guy. Even if he isnt suspended let it be known that the douchebag was not only caught swinging a shaved bat but was caught by hitting a defenseless player in the face.

Let me guess your next response will be that it was the pitchers fault for being hit. He had 2 beers earlier in the day and wasnt able to field his postion. I am so damn sick of these cowardly douche bags defending those who swing illegal bats. Would you feel the same way if it was YOUR pitcher that had been hit. What if the guy would of lost vision in his eye, had to have corrective surgery, brain damage, or worse yet death. Would you clowns still be saying "o it was an unsanctioned event, no harm no foul" give me a break...

Noooo what I meant is there is no repercussions if the bat fails. There is jobbing anyone can do beside destroy it.

kgvv

Addicted to Softballfans
That seem kinda crappy. I'm not that knowledgable about compression stuff but couldnt a well broken in bat fail? And Kyle could you please tell us how you really feel about this?

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
That seem kinda crappy. I'm not that knowledgable about compression stuff but couldnt a well broken in bat fail? And Kyle could you please tell us how you really feel about this?

A one hit bat can fail..... But that's kinda beside the point. Most bats at snowba are shaved. But the issue is whether or not be can be punished and no he can not

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans

Whoa, hold your horses there. It failed a compression test. That doesn't mean it was shaved. It should've been sent off to the manufacturer so that they could determine if it was or not.
Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation around compression tests. There's at least one study that shows the correlation between bat performance and compression is weak at best.

As for penalties (assuming the bat were sent off to the manufacturer and was determined to be altered), I hear a lot of talk about suing or filing assault charges. There's that, but I've never heard of anybody actually following through with it, much less anything coming of it. And then there could be a ban from this event, but given the way this has been handled, it doesn't seem like they're really concerned with discouraging this stuff to happen in the first place.

Meskin24

those arent pecks
So every bat that fails needs sent in? Because not one tournament director is doing that......

Not true, there is a reason that Gateway park doesnt make anymore tournaments. He use to draw in teams every weekend almost. After a tournament 2 years ago when the whole testing rule came into affect. He gave the owner of the bats the option of either letting them test it and if it failed it went to the manafacteur automatically or they could let him destroy it. HE DESTROYED 14-16 BATS IN THAT ONE TOURNEY. After that, I think only 2-3 tournaments have made there in the past 2 years.

Meskin24

those arent pecks
Like I stated on Lonestar:

The Bat did fail but it was closer to passing then 125. The bat was taken out of the tournament and not returned. No option of sending it off, bat will be destroyed.

Until you sanction this tourney, or make some actual rules that will affect people nothing will happen. I know women that play coed out there that have admitted to have ultra 2 sleeves in there bats. This tourney is full of glass being swung and you know it. I also heard that another pitcher was hit, the umpire took the bat up, gave it to whoever, that person went around to the dugout and gave it back to the hitter and said keep it in the bag. What kind of ish are you running out there.

Not true, there is a reason that Gateway park doesnt make anymore tournaments. He use to draw in teams every weekend almost. After a tournament 2 years ago when the whole testing rule came into affect. He gave the owner of the bats the option of either letting them test it and if it failed it went to the manafacteur automatically or they could let him destroy it. HE DESTROYED 14-16 BATS IN THAT ONE TOURNEY. After that, I think only 2-3 tournaments have made there in the past 2 years.

That is what was done with the 3 bats that were taken up at Snowball. Like the rules had stated: A decision would be made the next business day. We didn't even wait until the next day. All 3 bats were destroyed. As far as a bat being taken and returned immediately I have no knowledge of, the other supervisors have no knowledge of, nor the UIC for the tourney. If an umpire did that he acted on his own unbeknownst to the supervisor that was on duty.

BL18ok

Addicted to Softballfans
JTaylor2033 a question to you. I have played at snowball many times and never really had a problem. That being said you make money on this tourney from the parking, beer cups, entry etc so why not sanction this tourney? Don't say becasue of the HR rules becasue there are USSSA tourneys that have different rules.

JTaylor2033 a question to you. I have played at snowball many times and never really had a problem. That being said you make money on this tourney from the parking, beer cups, entry etc so why not sanction this tourney? Don't say becasue of the HR rules becasue there are USSSA tourneys that have different rules.

The same type of Snowball tourney is also in Arkansas on the same weekend as ours. Since they started to sanction it their participation has dropped big time. 27 teams played in theirs this year. 70 played in ours. We don't want to put the same restrictions on teams as an association does. Teams having to put rosters online, players not being able to play with their friends because they run the chance of someone wanting to protest them. There are lots of reasons. Snowball is about coming out and having fun. Is the bat situation ideal, no, far from it. Have we made changes to improve it? Yes we have. We look to try and improve upon it every year. We have had masks available for pitchers to wear for the past 2. Next year we will have helmets available for pitchers to wear. Will it still be dangerous to pitch? Yes because no matter what tourney you play in it's dangerous to pitch. This is also the first year we had a compression tester at the tourney. In addition to the 3 bats that were removed from play because of a pitcher being hit 8 bats were randomly selected to be tested this weekend. Believe me we want the players to be as safe as possible. Are we going to catch all of the ones who are using shaved bats or ones that won't pass compression? Not hardly, but we are trying to make this tournament safer.

Feel free to contact me directly @ [email protected] to dicuss any of these issues at any time.

Meskin24

those arent pecks
why not just put a net up. that will solve pitches getting hit. Who cares if you have 70 or 27. This just shows its only about the money. Less injuries with a sanctioned tournament. People are going to swing the shave sticks more knowing that they can get away with it. Yes an injury can happen at any position. 45 feets from pitcher to the mound doesnt give for a lot of reaction time. I know I pitch, I know I will get hit at, it is part of the game. But I will never pitch at sno-ball, because of how well known people are swinging shaved sticks. You can have a sanctioned tournament and have an Open division still and not have to worry about rosters or protest. I seriously doubt people are going to protest an roster in an open division in a sanctioned tournament.

txballer

Golden Retriever
Out of 70 Teams you only randomly selected 8 bats to test? That seems like a really low number. I Like that you are trying to do something but it seems like it is a reaction to what happens not anything more.

Also what got it deleted from lonestar I missed the comment that pushed it over the edge.

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans
Whoa, hold your horses there. It failed a compression test. That doesn't mean it was shaved. It should've been sent off to the manufacturer so that they could determine if it was or not.Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation around compression tests. There's at least one study that shows the correlation between bat performance and compression is weak at best.

Guess we will never know will we? This whole situation bothers me. Someone is going to get killed at snowball. Mark my words. Its going to happen if you continue to allow these conference players to slide on swinging glass. Dont give me the whole "they play upper level ball and they just hit hard." I cannot even tell you the number of countless Douche Noodle big headed jack asses that brag about how hot their cut/sleeved bat is at that tournament.

The same type of Snowball tourney is also in Arkansas on the same weekend as ours. Since they started to sanction it their participation has dropped big time. 27 teams played in theirs this year. 70 played in ours. We don't want to put the same restrictions on teams as an association does. Teams having to put rosters online, players not being able to play with their friends because they run the chance of someone wanting to protest them. There are lots of reasons. Snowball is about coming out and having fun. Is the bat situation ideal, no, far from it. Have we made changes to improve it? Yes we have. We look to try and improve upon it every year. We have had masks available for pitchers to wear for the past 2. Next year we will have helmets available for pitchers to wear. Will it still be dangerous to pitch? Yes because no matter what tourney you play in it's dangerous to pitch. This is also the first year we had a compression tester at the tourney. In addition to the 3 bats that were removed from play because of a pitcher being hit 8 bats were randomly selected to be tested this weekend. Believe me we want the players to be as safe as possible. Are we going to catch all of the ones who are using shaved bats or ones that won't pass compression? Not hardly, but we are trying to make this tournament safer.

Feel free to contact me directly @ [email protected] to dicuss any of these issues at any time.

YOU need to step up to the plate and stop being such a money hungry bastard. What are you gonna do when someone gets killed at your tournament? When you have had these pitchers getting hit with failed compression bats and the only thing you did was take the bat away. You know what they call that in the legal system? Willful Negligence...Quite frankly even though its not you swinging the bats, your are ultimately responsible for these guys getting hurt. You have the power to make changes yet you dont so you can attract 70 teams. Ok baby Hutch glad to know its all about the benjamins for you. That the safety of the players at your tournaments doesnt mean a thing. There is such a thing as a Sanctioned Open tournament...where no one could protest rosters...because ummm its an open tournament. I will give you the benifit of the doubt for at least coming on here and responding to the critics. But you need to Sack the **** up and make some changes before your dealing with the death of a player on your fields. For someone who is concerned about profit margins you might want to look at the cost of legal council when dealing with a death on your fields. Just some food for thought...

How sad is it that i brought this up before the tourney even started and once again here we are talking about it again.

Last edited:

Meskin24

those arent pecks
Just cause you have mask for people to wear doesnt do anything. Mandatory rules need to be put in place. I would start with a Net, people may hate it but at least no more pitchers will get drilled. I second everything SmokeDK42 says.

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
thirded. the motion should carry. we need more provided bat tournies.

2012.5 SCN20BW 26 oz + 27 oz x2 NIW
2012.5 SCN17BH 27 oz + 27oz NIW
2012.5 SCN18 26 oz 2012.5 SCN19 28 oz
SCX2 RI 26 oz + 27 oz + OG 28 oz
FP11ST10 34/24
IZZY PSYCHO 27 OZ 2013 FREAK+ 27 OZ
AVARITIA 26 OZ PURE 26 oz PM VIRUS 27 OZ
EPG81WT EPG36BW PPK10BT PPK82BTC

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: I would play in your bat provided tournament for sure

country7

Addicted to Softballfans
He will never send in a bat period and take a chance at losing a dollar..that's the bottom line

BlueDevil

Addicted to Softballfans
All of this being said I had a ****ing blast was a lot of fun. We did play ASP/Billy Bobs after the incident I didn't even know it happened until reading it on here. All in all idk about glass bats honestly if there were cut bats I would of thought they'd bust pretty easy hitting stones in 30 degrees at 4am haha that's when we played asp first time and don't rember any busted bats then or in the second game.