3b?

astuber

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems like a lot of guys play much closer to the line than me. If the batter has a courtesy foul, then you do need to play a little closer. Most leagues I play in are only one swinging strike, so hitters do not go for the line and I am at least 10 feet off the line. A double down the line is not the end of the world, you should want to maximize your chance for outs.

Dkrep1

The Veteran
I play with a 13" Mizuno and i play about two feet in front of the Grass which is about 6' away from the bag and 5' from the line. you definetly are a differnent breed playing the hot corner cause when you catch that screamer at your face out of sheer protection and you think you broke your hand. you wonder why do i play this position again.

caustin

Addicted to Softballfans
i use a 12.5 and usually stand about 5 ft in front of the grass and right on the lip of the grass agasinst a power hitter and only about 3-4 ft from foul line but ive got an above average arm and good range glove side my backhand is a little slow and that goes a lot into why i do it the way i do

pg1027

Addicted to Softballfans
Whenever I do play 3b, I use a 12.5 mod trap. Would feel better in a 12 (dw5 should be coming shortly). 5 off 6-8 back is average for heavy hitters (anything more and it allows me to second guess my depth, constantly). The softer hitters, I can play even with.

Can't see how you guys can play with those large gloves but to each their own

Blaxima-2

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually play pretty even with the bag for league play. 5' off the line is an accurate starting point, but like the others, I move based on the batters etc. Oh yeah, 12.75" Nokona.

dan

Manager
For those who play 3b how big of a glove do you wear?

The bigger the better, for self-defense more than for speed in getting the ball out. Aside from pitcher, the 3rd baseman gets the hottest liners and grounders, and a bad hop could knock you silly, or worse. Your glove is your shield.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
When I play third. I play in the baseline. I don't want any nasty second hops. 13"

Eroc13

Boots Come In Pairs
I agree with most that the situation makes where you stand different. Makes it hard to give you a set area like the five feet off and six foot back stuff some guys are writing. I like to play where I know I can still get to the line with a good effort, and how deep depends on the hitter. If I know a guy is all pull, I usually hug the line...

As for a glove, I use a Vinci TJ-1952. It's 13.5" but its what I'm comfortable with. Find one you are comfortable with and stick with it, regardless of what guys are saying good or bad about the size.

Good luck in your search. There is a lot of good advice in this thread

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
My general starting position against hitters/teams I'm unfamiliar with is 3-5' behind bag and 3-5' off the line. I just adjust from there depending on the hitter/situation.

I use a 12.5" glove

buckeyesp17

Addicted to Softballfans
the only reason you play with a smaller glove is if you have lttle girls hands and cant feel thball you should be playing on a womens team with a 11inch balle

I play with an 11" glove and I'd be willing to bet I field better than you. The only reason you need a 12.5+ glove is of your hand eye is off and you need the margin of error. Probably takes you quite a bit longer to get the ball out of the glove too.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i have a 14" that i've always used for outfield and first. now that i'm playing third more i got a 12.75" H web and it's made it much easier over there. mouth guard is a must. i play a little ways back, 5-10 feet, from the bag. to me, the most important things are to stay loose, get set, and always expect it to come to you. keep your head in the game. let everyone else talk and have a good time but maintain your focus.

dan

Manager
The only reason you need a 12.5+ glove is if your hand eye is off and you need the margin of error.

Don't know where you play, but our fields are full of irregularities that cause bad hops, and excellent fielders occasionally take one in the face.

A larger glove won't stop them all, but it will up the odds a bit more in your favor.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I play with an 11" glove and I'd be willing to bet I field better than you. The only reason you need a 12.5+ glove is of your hand eye is off and you need the margin of error. Probably takes you quite a bit longer to get the ball out of the glove too.

watchout.jpg

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
I use an 11.75" glove, same one I played hardball with 15 yrs ago. Yes, I have little girl hands and I'm not ashamed of it. No really, I do have little girl hands. My 12 year old daughter's hands are about the same size.

I move around a bit depending on the hitter/situation like everyone else, but I till I get a feel for a team I start two steps off the line and two steps behind the bag. There are very few real mashers in my league so I can play pretty far in plus I've found that I actually have a harder time with the slow rollers than the hot shots. To paraphrase Maverick ... "If you think over there, you're dead". Only once did playing close in almost kill me. I was playing even with the bag and a guy hit an absolute missile right at me and I literally didn't have time to move even an inch before the ball got to me. Lucky for me he hit it directly at my glove. Before I had time to realize what had even happened I had already caught the ball.

Jury is still out, but I've started playing with a little bit of an open stance towards short to give me a bit more range towards the hole without really sacrificing my ability to cover the line.

jd81

Manager
I use a 12" H web glove and play within 5-6 ft of the foul line and maybe a foot or two behind the base path, but I tend to walk up with a pitch and charge the ball if it comes to me. Has this bit me in the ass?, yes it has and here is a pic of a missile to the ankle that came a little hotter than I expected. I've played 3b all my life and some college too so I'm use to the beatings you take with the hot shots. I'm definitely not the quickest as far as reaction times go, but I'd say 95% balls hit my way I can get a glove on and I don't boot alot of balls but when I do its usually in epic fashion and hilarity ensues from my team mates.

Last edited:

k92b04

Banned User
I too have played 3B my entire life, in softball I play even with the bag about 4ft off the line. I have recently moved to a 15 inch glove and love it. I also wear a mask cause ball bounces wierd on the texas clay!!! Its all about where you are confortable playing and the situation.

Gergdawg

Horley is my HERO!
I play only on Sunday's in an unlimited HR league using X-rock's. So my first thougt is to get my body out of the way, side saddle it and hope it goes in my glove. The throw is the easy part. I play on the line and hope they hit it somewhere else.

Serious post here.

Blueman

Star Player
I have tried backing up 8-10ft against teams loaded with mashers, but what ends up happening is I get a lot of smash shorthops. When I am closer to even with the bag or 5 ft., these are easy low liners. Only the mega crusher steroid freak who can truly hit 400ft bombs will I back up on, and then it is at least 10 ft. Everyone else I can girly sidestep and try and make the play if it is way too hot, but that has been very,very rare. Also, 2nd hop is the killer, do not allow the 2nd hop,never.

WhiteBat

Coach
A little late to the game here, but 2 cents: been playing 3B with a Nokona Black Shadow 12.75 for a few years. Awesome durable glove..

IMG_1276.jpg

Last edited:

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
This or even with the bag....depends on situation too....i can't let the ball beat me, so i play up....i've seen people way too deep at 3rd.....how the hell can anyone make that throw?

somewhat agreed with this. playing the ball cleanly is better than playing the ball shallow. just have to play within your abilities and make the best of it.

for coed and lower level i actually usually play deeper. they tend to be slower and the fielders behind me tend to be weaker, so it's a lot more important for me to stop the ball in the infield and i'll still have enough time to make the throw. obviously it will change based on the batter as well.

for men's and competitive stuff, yeah you might as well play in, standing in the grass is going to give them 1st base even if you play it relatively cleanly, so there's no advantage to stopping the ball there vs your left fielder(assuming they have the arm and fielding ability to keep it a single), or you just sorta getting in the way but not being able to make the play because it came too fast. i think it's pretty rare that you miss a catch because you stood too close, just mis-play grounders, or you aren't able to move sideways enough to get in front of it. so playing in almost never cause a catchable ball to be dropped

oh, and use whatever glove size you want. i used to use a 12.75 for the infield and a 14 for the outfield, but once i broke in and got used to the 14 i started using it everywhere and i'm not looking back. learn to play with it and there's no disadvantage. when you need to get the ball out quickly, like with routine grounders, you catch the ball closer to the palm and it's easy to get out. if you aren't able to do that and just snowcone the ball, well then you would have completely missed with a smaller glove anyway. there is no downside

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
I use a 13" glove everywhere. Never really had a problem finding..or getting the ball out. Where I play is ultimately situational. With no base runners and a right handed batter I'll start 5-6 feet behind the bag and walk forward with the pitch....ending up about a foot or so behind the base.

If I know there's a right handed pull hitter I'll cheat a step closer to the line during my walk forward. Depending on the hitter...and if I know them well enough, I like to give them the line before the pitch...and take it away when the balls in the air.

With runners on (or at least a force at second) I'll be at the edge of the grass with a much more conservative walk forward. Knowing I have all kinds of time to make the play at second..and hopefully able to cover more ground in the infield.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Used to be even with the bag, but now that bags got moved back to 70', a couple steps in front of it, 12.5" Nokona Bloodline.