3m spray on barrel of bat

DBO20

Addicted to Softballfans
except testing has shown there is no real difference? spraying 3m on your pitching wedge isn't going allow you to draw a ball back 15 feet on the green.

I would like to see what type of testing they did. If it is dry 3m, it wouldn't help but freshly sprayed, how could it not?

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
The things people will do for a potential benefit of less than 10 feet... I see this a lot unfortunately. If it provides any benefit AT ALL it is slight. The only people I ever see do this are ones that blame the equipment for their shortcomings. Popped out to 2B with my CNT+? Must have been the bat's fault because that swing was MONEY... right.

second2noone

The things people will do for a potential benefit of less than 10 feet... I see this a lot unfortunately. If it provides any benefit AT ALL it is slight. The only people I ever see do this are ones that blame the equipment for their shortcomings. Popped out to 2B with my CNT+? Must have been the bat's fault because that swing was MONEY... right.

Time to get another bat. Isn't that what we do here?

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
except testing has shown there is no real difference? spraying 3m on your pitching wedge isn't going allow you to draw a ball back 15 feet on the green.

There is no way that they tested the RPM's of a freaking softball as it was flying through the air to see if it was spinning faster off a bat with spray on it. The only thing they may have tested was distance but it is hard to do that unless you have a calibrated machine hitting a ball in the exact same spot on the bat and ball with the two different bats.

Last edited:

VanSin23

NC Freedom Sports
I am sure the difference is slight as threenuts said. I was not saying that it was the end all of any major deal but just saying the logic behind it is forseable.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
3m spray on the barrel pisses me off when I'm checking your bats before the game. You'll get a very unhappy response from me.

ASA prohibits its use anywhere other than on the safety grip.

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
3m spray on the barrel pisses me off when I'm checking your bats before the game. You'll get a very unhappy response from me.

ASA prohibits its use anywhere other than on the safety grip.

SCMAF sucks =/ a team could brag about swinging a shaved bat and the blue can't/doesnt take the bat away. According to the rules they have unless its blantantly obvious and the barrel of the endcap looks like its been chewed on by a few beavers, the umps really won't say or do anything. And with the surgical precision doctors here in so cal every rec league has at least one team that has a shaved stick team bat. With the crappy .40/275 balls they use its not like its gonna crack those bats.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh and P.S.....my league allows senior bats so people don't even waste their time with this crap.

tt15

Addicted to Softballfans
I played OF against a team this past weekend that was swinging a DC Psycho with pine tar all over the barrel....only a few guys were swinging it. Ive never seen balls hook and tail as much as they were coming off that bat. Its was against a team I play against regularly too, so It was very suprising to see them hitting balls that way. As for distance, im not sure if it helps...but the ball hooking and tailing was def above the norm

jj100117

Dewitt Area Recreation
I played OF against a team this past weekend that was swinging a DC Psycho with pine tar all over the barrel....only a few guys were swinging it. Ive never seen balls hook and tail as much as they were coming off that bat. Its was against a team I play against regularly too, so It was very suprising to see them hitting balls that way. As for distance, im not sure if it helps...but the ball hooking and tailing was def above the norm

lies........

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
A guy on my team just picked up a FSE covered with 3M or something else like that. He's not really into it. Anyone have tips for removing it?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
its suppose to "bite" the ball better and put more spin on it. but i dont mess with it. i hear some dudes do it to new shaved bats cause it makes the bat look older with dirt stuck all over it.

What it really does is make the bat look like **** and older so the person that just got it back from the shave can say, "This thing is nasty....It's got at least 2,000 hits on it...." When in reality it has 12 hits on it, and they're trying to mask that they're cheating.

BigWhite

<font color="#00EE00">Charging by the Pound!!!</fo
I hear BP works wonders. You don't even have to cheat once you get it down. The only people I know of that use 3M around here are trying to "protect" their shaved bats.
***On my way to get some now.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
I'm a terrible shot with that stuff. Always get it all over the barrels on accident :eek:

superpimp12

First Batch Illuminati
I heard it's so a shaved bat doesn't blow up and kill you. The glue keeps all the shrapnel In place so it cracks instead of blowing up and killing the batter. That's what the dude at CIA told me..

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
testing doesnt show difference because they are compressing the barrel, of course spray would not effect that. but it is altering a barrel which is illegal.rules say you can change grip (using spray or tar), but the barrel is "altered" when you spray