40" box jump yesterday

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
It was crazy at how intimidating the box was at that height. My goal is 48" by my 40th birthday in February.

Last edited by a moderator:

wcoastsoftball

Congrats. Can't see the video, unfortunately but remember, land in the same position you jump from. Landing with knees in the chin isn't good.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Cannot see the video. But as Wcoast said, land athletically. Being able to have enough hip flexion to get to a high box and landing it properly are two different things. Try reposting the video ........

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
My left leg was having some issues due to lower back/hip pain. Almost sciatic pain. It just seemed to want to lag behind. That's why I ended up taking a step. I tried it just standing but that left leg didn't make it. Now I have a nice gash on my shin.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So after our workout today ( 15min AMRAP 5 burpees, 10 push ups, 15 wall ball, 20 sit ups) I got ambitious and wanted to try this box jump again. But for some reason (I'm guessing that the 3 inch scar on my shin may have something to do with it) I have a fear that won't let me do it. So we decided to just pin a jump rope between the top box and wall and my buddy held the other end. He said that I cleared it with ease by 2-3 inches. How to I get over that fear??? Or are there so cheap non restricting shin pads I can buy??? I have 41 days until I attempt 49 inches.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So I missed my 49" box jump on Feb 16th. I have been in pain since. I think that I may have finally found a chiropractor that can help me. He says that my pelvis is tilted on one side and has been stuck in that position. That has cause a bunch of other issues such as my left glute muscles not firing when they're supposed to. It was awesome to have someone tell me all of my physical (I have my wife to tell me my "other" issues) problems without me saying anything. I told him some vague pains I was having and he checked me over and found them all. So basically in a nutshell, I have been running around on one leg for who knows how many years. It also would explain my hitting problems over the past few years as well...at least I hope LOL

But anyway, here is a still from the video I shot of me attempting 49". My right foot got up on the top almost every time, but the left never could. Oh, I didn't have my socks up to look cool, I was wearing shin pads.

Screenshot_2016-02-16-13-15-57.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

TERMINATOR

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm jealous of those jerk blocks. I need to get around to making some already. I have all the damn wood. Just being lazy.

Seriously though. Your gym should get some foam boxes.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm jealous of those jerk blocks. I need to get around to making some already. I have all the damn wood. Just being lazy.

Seriously though. Your gym should get some foam boxes.

My workout partner built those. And I wish that thwy would but the padded ones are pretty expensive

tap2284

Your hips aren't mobile enough for a box that high. Considering you want to land the way you took off (and I doubt you took off like that), the box it too high. You will be move explosive if you lower the box and own that height and progress as you get stronger.

Side note: The fascination with high box jumps with terrible form just confusing to me (Harpers box jump recently prime example)

wcoastsoftball

Your hips aren't mobile enough for a box that high. Considering you want to land the way you took off (and I doubt you took off like that), the box it too high. You will be move explosive if you lower the box and own that height and progress as you get stronger.

Side note: The fascination with high box jumps with terrible form just confusing to me (Harpers box jump recently prime example)

"like button" clicked. That said, it is the Crossfit movement pushing these high box jumps with poor form and really, they are not hitting the height they think they are. Test your vertical using the "My Jump" app. Less abrasions on the legs.

tap2284

If I can figure out how to post a video, I have a good one of an athlete I work with completing a good box jump.