5 man vs 4 man

Luv2hitmiddle

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you start in a 5 man and go to a 4 man when necessary or would you do the opposite. I have the personel to run a 5 man and I am wondering should I start in a 5 man or start in a 4 man and when should I switch in the game if needed. Thanks in advance for all opinions.

Trey32

Manager
Start in a 5 man! If they are consistently hitting gap shots, and having a big inning, then switch it up. In Florida, almost all D level and above teams, stay in a 5 man all the time. At the E level you see mostly 4 man. Why this is, I have no clue. Start in a 5 man for sure if you have the personnel like you mentioned.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Start in a 5 man! If they are consistently hitting gap shots, and having a big inning, then switch it up. In Florida, almost all D level and above teams, stay in a 5 man all the time. At the E level you see mostly 4 man. Why this is, I have no clue. Start in a 5 man for sure if you have the personnel like you mentioned.

You see it at the lower levels because usually you don't have the personnel needed to run a 3 man outfield.

Luv2hitmiddle

Addicted to Softballfans

So that brings me to my next question, personnel wise I have a 14 man roster. I player 1B, and then I have 5 infielders that can play almost all infield positions so that is 6 infielders total and 2 pitchers. The the other 6 guys play outfield, if I am only playing 3 outfielders at a time how would you keep all 6 guys happy?

Luv2hitmiddle

Addicted to Softballfans
Top three outfielder are head and shoulders above the other 3. The other 3 are serviceable for breaks and stuff but they all want to start.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends on your goals. If you are there to win, you play the best as much as you can. Rest them if the situation dictates. Just because someone wants to start doesn't mean they should. You have to make choices that are best for the team. If the players that aren't starting don't like it, they will find another place to play. You won't make the guys sitting the bench happy if they want to start. This is a rec sport, pretty much everyone that shows up wants to play.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
With 6 outfielders you aren't going to keep all of them happy even running a 4 man outfield unless some of them are good playing catcher.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
So that brings me to my next question, personnel wise I have a 14 man roster. I player 1B, and then I have 5 infielders that can play almost all infield positions so that is 6 infielders total and 2 pitchers. The the other 6 guys play outfield, if I am only playing 3 outfielders at a time how would you keep all 6 guys happy?

You run a HAPPY team or a competitive team???

Can't do both carrying that many guys...that's what role players are for...

Flyman

GEAUX TIGERS!!
You need tons of speed and good arms to run a 3 man....

This. Your three OFs need to have a lot of speed to cut off shots to the gap, and they have to have the arms to hold runners up when they do run down shots to the gap.

The reasons E teams and lower don't utilize this strategy is because they generally don't have three OFs with the speed or arms to make it work.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
This. Your three OFs need to have a lot of speed to cut off shots to the gap, and they have to have the arms to hold runners up when they do run down shots to the gap.

The reasons E teams and lower don't utilize this strategy is because they generally don't have three OFs with the speed or arms to make it work.

not really. you don't switch to a 3 man when the other team is salivating over it and you have no experience doing it. It's not the defense that makes the E level the weakest, it's the bats.

A 3 man (5 man, whatever) works because of TWO factors. Personnel, and most importantly, EXPERIENCE. You can have the guys but if they don't have the reps, it's a total waste. It's something you need to actually prepare for, you can't just jump into one.

LetTheBigDogEat

The Veteran
not really. you don't switch to a 3 man when the other team is salivating over it and you have no experience doing it. It's not the defense that makes the E level the weakest, it's the bats.

A 3 man (5 man, whatever) works because of TWO factors. Personnel, and most importantly, EXPERIENCE. You can have the guys but if they don't have the reps, it's a total waste. It's something you need to actually prepare for, you can't just jump into one.

this, i play in 2 leagues, 1 is church (20ish teams) and one is a highly competitive open league (40+ teams, 4 divisions). we play in the top division in the open league, most guys also play tournament ball. that team runs a 5 man near flawlessly, everyone knows who has what bag and what balls are theirs, which ways to shade, bounce, etc. my church team has close to the same caliber athletes on the starting lineup but bc they dont do it often, it's a disaster trying to shift them into a 5 man. bottom line, play what you know

MaverickAH

In addition to having speed in the outfield, the real key to playing 3 outfielders is your pitcher. He'd better have pinpoint control & have everyone in sync on defense with what he's doing. He's got to be able to pitch to his defense.

I would also say that your RF better be lights out! He's going to be completely naked a lot of time & have the most area to protect. it's almost counterintuitive to the way a lot of people think but your RF better be damn good!

devo12

Addicted to Softballfans
I actually would always prefer to play a 5 man.. I think it is a big advantage when you play E and lower stuff mainly because half of the time guys change their swing or they just don't see it much and it forces them to change their swing instead of just trying to pull it as hard as they can

Jimmy34

Board Prick
In addition to having speed in the outfield, the real key to playing 3 outfielders is your pitcher. He'd better have pinpoint control & have everyone in sync on defense with what he's doing. He's got to be able to pitch to his defense.

I would also say that your RF better be lights out! He's going to be completely naked a lot of time & have the most area to protect. it's almost counterintuitive to the way a lot of people think but your RF better be damn good!

This is correct...Coop actually had a 5 man video and the biggest way to win with a 5 man is by having a very good pitcher who works the inside of the plate so stacking a side benefits your defense...if a guy goes oppo and hits that line, good for him...a decent fielding pitcher helps with 4 man but the 5 man is the way to go...

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I actually would always prefer to play a 5 man.. I think it is a big advantage when you play E and lower stuff mainly because half of the time guys change their swing or they just don't see it much and it forces them to change their swing instead of just trying to pull it as hard as they can

Around here pretty much every good E team plays a 5 man. I actually have more trouble hitting against an 4 man.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Of course, it doesn't matter if you have 3 good outfielders if you don't have 5 good infielders to take advantage of the extra balls they're getting.